Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

The Economy - Effect of Hiring Policies

6 posts in this topic

I have been looking at some certification programs. It seems nowadays lots of companies are asking for certifications, specialized job experience and specialized instruction. In order to gain many of these, you need to have previous experience.

It has always troubled me how so few companies are willing to invest in training to begin with. Few companies are willing to be the ones to take entry level workers. And yet these industries are complaining, particularly in specialized areas of Information Services and Health care Services, that they are facing a shortage of workers. While there is a flood of workers on the market, they don't have the correct experience to get these jobs, and can't find companies that will hire them to give them that needed experience. Is this perhaps one of the causes to our failing economy? Have we become so involved with going after the premium job workers that we have failed to provide for a new crop of worker in the future?

Do you really want a health care worker with no experience working on you? In some industries, there is a reason for the requirements.

There's college internship programs where available. Or some rural, lightly populated state like South Dakota...

Do you really want a health care worker with no experience working on you? In some industries, there is a reason for the requirements.

someone can work in the health care field without having formal training, doing simple related tasks while being paid to get the formal training required for other tasks. do candy stripers still exist? i'm thinking something along those lines while getting trained and going to school (and getting all or part of it paid for by the hospital or company) for a nursing degree.

They do in some shape or form. For the most part (with the exception of the older volunteers who just enjoy it), they are just high schooler and college students that are trying to beef up their resume so they can get into med school. Most nursing students get their CNA certification (ceertified nurses assistant) and do that for experience/extra money while they are in school but I would hate doing that. All they ever seem to do is check blood pressures, help patients go to the bathroom, change diapers/wipe butts, and run errands. Not my idea of a healthcare career.