Uptown Restaurants

tozmervo

So I want to take the folks out to lunch in uptown. Unfortunately I've found it really difficult to find a restaurant suitable for the occasion. All I can think of in uptown otherwise is either flat out bar kinda stuff (dark, etc) like Ri Ra's, business-lunch expensive, or just grab and go kind of stuff like Matt's Chicago Dogs or Reid's.

Brixx is the only place so far that I can think of that fits the bill for atmosphere and price.

* I can think of a gazillion places outside of uptown, so I'm pretty much just needing help with uptown itself.

Tnx

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mimosa too expensive?

I *love* the food at Pizzeria UNO, but the service is spotty.

Fujo chinese is awesome but super-crowded after 11:25am.

Aquavina too expensive?

Jolina (on the Green) is great.

How much is too much? Sheesh, anywhere you sit down it's just about going to be $7 without a drink.

Mert's Heart & Soul. Such tasty cornbread and good down-home food.

People (other than me) love the French Quarter in Latta Arcade. Also super-crowded after 11:25am.

Also in Latta Arcade is Brevard Court Sundries.

Arthur's is "get your own" (no waitstaff) but has lots of seating and is certainly better than McD's and similar.

That ought to get you started. Can you refine your query?

I second Rock Bottom

On the other end of Tryon, I LOVE Radcliffe on the Green's lunch. It's slightly on the pricey side, but not outrageous in my opinion, plus the portions are large. The food is always amazing, the sides fresh (from the local market), and decor is upscale but not stuffy. However, I'm not sure they are open for lunch during winter (ok, so it's spring now), so you would want to check to see if they've started lunch for the season.

My other personal favorite is Grand Central located next to Starbucks and The Vue sales center. It's a normal deli, except they use Boar's Head meats, and offer Miss Vickie's Kettle Chips. There is also plenty of booth and table seating, and I like the interior....it's very 1930's. Sandwich's run $6-$7 dollars.

I've also heard really good things about Coco Osteria's lunch which is at The Hearst Tower's plaza. Supposedly modestly priced, and great food. It's pretty small though, and is really busy. (looking at their menu, lunch items are all $10-$12)

I've always had a good experience at French Quarter.

I've always heard that Harry and Jeans was expensive but looking at the menu on their website, they look pretty reasonable, especially lunch. I'll have to check them out. Are they a dressy or casual place?

^ Depends on what you're eating. $10 is a great lunch price for fine food. $5 is a great lunch price for fast food. The $5 premium isn't exorbitant if it makes the difference between an expertly-prepared dish full of fresh ingredients, versus a box full of frozen products deep-fried by a guy who couldn't get a job at Applebee's.

Other reasonably priced lunch places (some below $10 :) ):

Presto on Graham and Trade

Chinese place across from Merts - i can't think of the name

Verona Italian in the Ivey's building

Alexander Micheals in 4th Ward (combine it with a walking tour of 4th Ward)

Sarushi's Indian on Church Street (more of a diner than sit down though)

Sonoma and Taverna in the bottom of BofA have good lunches at $9 - $15

It's a little on the outer edge, but I really love NoFo on Elizabeth Avenue, next to Visulite. The food and atmosphere is quirky and great! Right now there is construction which makes it difficult, but it's worth the trip.

Also, I like Presto Grille on Trade, especially when I can eat on the rooftop.

So I want to take the folks out to lunch in uptown. Unfortunately I've found it really difficult to find a restaurant suitable for the occasion. All I can think of in uptown otherwise is either flat out bar kinda stuff (dark, etc) like Ri Ra's, business-lunch expensive, or just grab and go kind of stuff like Matt's Chicago Dogs or Reid's.

Brixx is the only place so far that I can think of that fits the bill for atmosphere and price.

* I can think of a gazillion places outside of uptown, so I'm pretty much just needing help with uptown itself.

Tnx

• 2 months later...

One place worth trying is Alexander Michaels in Fourth Ward. It does tend a bit toward the 'bar' end of the spectrum, but its food is very good and is often a hit with visiting guests, especially for a lunch. It is set in a Victorian-era general store, with the original antique icebox still there behind the bar. Out the window you can see the Victorian-era homes of Fourth Ward, and on certain days, watch the horse-drawn carriage go through.

Feast and Press are both new (and different), but seem to offer good lunches and good settings.

I think Aquavina has some good aspects, too, for lunch, including sitting on the balcony overlooking the Green.

Ratcliffe on the Green is great food and a great setting in the 1920s flower shop that was saved, but you'll likely need reservations.

According to that link, it is now at 99. It seems that the safest time to eat at a restaurant is right after a bad inspection, since they have just been embarassed and are apparently working hard to make it better. But it is everyone's prerogative to skip it because they had a low score in the past.

• 7 months later...

Move over Rock Bottom, looks like Greensboro's Natty Greene's restaurant and Microbrewery will be expanding to Charlotte. Natty Greene's is a popular 3-story restaurant and pub in downtown Greensboro. A downtown Raleigh restaurant is currently being planned and owners have said they want a restaurant in uptown Charlotte by 2011. Natty Greene's was named after General Nathanael Greene, the name sake of Greensboro. Greensboro's restaurant has affordable family meals and there are bars on all 3 floors. The 3rd floor is called the loft and is a rental space for parties. There are pool tables, flat screen tvs and satelite radio on the 3rd floor. Natty Greene's is know for its beers and there is even a second brewery west of downtown Greensboro. The owners would likely try to find and old building in Charlotte from the turn of the century that has exposed brick walls. The one in Greensboro is in a building that was built in the 1800s.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/01..._to_more_cities

Natty Greene's website

http://bigdraft.com/index2.html

This is what you can expect to see in uptown Charlotte......hopefully there are still some old buildings left uptown for it.

292087958_39355a822b.jpg

320136743_b6caf9ed1b.jpg

292087928_5fd5c69eb0.jpg

2964792100_0e9eaaf137.jpg

the_loft_main.jpg

2586142730_316159483e.jpg

Archived