Higher Sales Tax For Cities?

jcrc

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mayors of New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford and New London want to charge 7% sales tax for their cities. Our fair city will go with that if it is a state wide increase. Do we want to revitalize the cities or have more sprawls? I didn't know being an idiot is part of the job description.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-onepe...story?track=rss

:lol: Are these liberal Democrats really serious?Their policies have destoyed Connecticuts cities over the last 50 or so years.I'm pleasantly surprised however that Perez isn't on the wacko bandwagon with these mayoral fools on this tax issue.

I just read the begining of the article and decided not to worry about it because hartford was not listed.

I would be bummed if Hartford went along with this. CT has some of the lowest sales tax around, but if something like this were to happen it should encourage density not discourage it.

Massachusetts is 5%, CT is 6%. If they got their wish, Hartford, and the rest of CT cities will be at 7%. If passed, not sure if this will be elective, so a particular city can choose to stay at 6%. And why would higher sales tax in the city encourage density?

If you are a big ticket item merchant, car dealer for example, in New Haven, you would hate it. The same $20,000 car just cost $200 more.

Absolutely terrible idea. The bad P.R. alone for these cities will do enough damage to outway any positive cash flow they might receive from this plan. It would make so much more sense for these cities to be proposing to LOWER their sales tax within their city limits to spur growth and economic development.

:lol: Are these liberal Democrats really serious?Their policies have destoyed Connecticuts cities over the last 50 or so years.I'm pleasantly surprised however that Perez isn't on the wacko bandwagon with these mayoral fools on this tax issue.

I ment that if there were to be special areas with different taxes it should be designed to to increase density not encourage business to move to the burbs. My words did not represent my thoughts I see how it made no sense.

New York is at 8.25% and most counties that are near Ct are higher at least Suffolk County is I can say for sure. Rhode Island is at 7%

Archived