Steal a building for Charlotte...she needs more.

atlrvr

Charlotte has a lot of, umm, dull architecture. It could really use some innovative stuff. Since innovation seems to be lacking, perhaps it can steal some architecture from around the world. Here's a condo tower I'd like to steal.

The Red Apple, Rotterdam (The Netherlands)

The_Red_Apple_1___Centrum___PWS.jpgthe%20rede%20apple%20nieuwbouw%20rotterdam%201.gf7my.jpg

What would everyone else like to steal? Midrises are more than welcome.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I guess it's a matter of taste. I certainly don't think Heart Tower is dull, nor Interstate Tower, nor BofA Corp Headquarters.

And in the future Encore, the Vue and 210 Trade should add more pizazz.

But if I could steal a building to place in Charlotte, it would be Atlanta's 191 Peachtree--one of my favorite highrises in the States. And at the location of the Packard building, it would be gorgeous (just my humble opinion of course.:))

Frank Lloyd Wright designed a handful of neighborhoods in the 1940s - the goal was a combination of innovative design (in this case, solar or passive solar, open designs that would complement the natural environment and topography) and affordability. The fuzzy pic below is one of the homes in the Wright-designed Parkwyn Village neighborhood in Kalamazoo - a cooperative community envisioned by a group of young scientists employed in Kalamazoo who prevailed upon Wright to design affordable houses they could build themselves. The neighborhood is 40 lots, all with original Wright designs. Charlotte would have been a great place for some of Lloyd's designs - both the climate and topography of Mecklenburg (and environs) would have made for something striking, in the balance between functionality, affordability, and cutting-edge design.

post-10268-1206499044_thumb.jpg

Lloyd's own home, in Illinois.

post-10268-1206499657_thumb.jpg

Tadao Ando's Times Gallery in Kyoto:

post-10268-1206500693_thumb.jpg

Ando also designed the Modern Art museum in Fort Worth:

post-10268-1206500826_thumb.jpg

I really love modernism at its' best...

post-10268-1206499044_thumb.jpg

post-10268-1206499657_thumb.jpg

post-10268-1206500693_thumb.jpg

post-10268-1206500826_thumb.jpg

I'm actually extremely happy Burj Dubai isn't being built here. That just screams "BLOW ME UP!" If I were to steal a building and plop it down, it would be the World Tower in Sydney and it would go at the Renaissance property along N Tryon.

G__1_building.jpgkveau0461b.jpg200px-World_tower_top.jpg

DSC01600.jpg

thanks to the nature of the green glass in the top floors in relation to the blinds inside, the tower's appearance changes on a daily basis.

One PPG Place in Pittsburgh would look pretty cool nestled in near the new Wachovia building as well. It is strange enough to give Charlotte a little diversity among its structures.

Cool topic, this is a tough one to pick for me. Some of my favorite buildings are too tall and would be out of scale with the rest of the skyline. The first building to pop to mind was the Chrysler Building, probably my all-time favorite. Sadly, in addition to the height, the architecture is almost too classic for Charlotte.

A NYC building I would like to see something like here is the Lipstick Building:

pjohnson10.jpg

I also love the Milwaukee Art Museum building posted above; too bad we don't have a lakefront to put it next to. :P

• 1 month later...

Ok.....to revive this thread....I would love to add the new Apple store that just opened in Boston's Back Bay.

Some pictures (with credit).

2490246681_a8e5d9ab30_b.jpg

Statler at Archboston.com

roofwide.jpg

ifoAppleStore.com

img7358uw6.jpg

kz1000ps at Archboston.com

Archived