Obama/Clinton Debate in Charlotte

monsoon

It's being mentioned that city leaders are looking to have the next (if it happens) and most likely final debate for Clinton/Obama, here in Charlotte. For the first time that I can remember the NC primary will actually have some relevance in the Presidential election process and it's expected that Obama and Clinton might have their last stand in this state.

So should the city pursue this debate? Would it be good for Charlotte? Will the state Democratic party even agree to put it here instead of say.... Raleigh?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The debate would be held at the Blumenthal Center in uptown. I saw that several Charlotte area college/universities signed the invite and sent it to the candidates. Didn't one of the major TV networks also request the debate (not sure if it was on Charlotte's behalf or not)? Regardless I think it would be a great thing for the city. You're talking about the possible future of our country for the next 4 years being debated right here in the Queen City. I could see the argument for the debate being in Raleigh since they are state capital, but I'm sure if Charlotte makes a push they can make it happen here.

Would it be good for North Carolina or Charlotte we held a debate...I don't think so. I don't think it really matters to anyone else in the country if the debate happens in Charlotte, Raleigh, North Carolina, or if another debate happens at all. Have you all watched any of the previous debates...they are basically all the same and unless one of them "slips" up the debate won't even matter. If a debate does happen in Charlotte...everyone on UP will probably get very excited thinking it is great exposure for Charlotte...while in reality nobody outside Charlotte cares.

If they do have a debate I don't see why they would pick Charlotte over Raleigh- I by the way am a Charlotte fan over Raleigh. As mentioned, Raleigh is the state capital, a few well known Universities near by...sounds like a winner to me.

I can see a case made for either Raleigh or Charlotte. But from what I've read, the Clinton camp has yet to agree to another debate (while Obama has). And if she did agree, she may want to NOT hold it in Raleigh since more than likely the audience would include large numbers of Obama friendly demographics (students, high income earners, etc) rather than the blue collar workers that have favored her so far.

The considerations for where the debate are held go far beyond Raleigh being the state capitol or Charlotte having big banks. Neither camp is going to agree to a debate held in a location that they feel favors the other.

Given his campaign for Governor, I'm not so sure Mayor Pat will be thrilled to host a debate, as it would only draw more attention to the ticket lacking his name, adding to what will likely be fairly lopsided turnout. That is to say the Mayor was likely counting on independents to win the primary, but now those voters will easily choose to participate in the more competitive primary in May. Given my more progressive leanings, it's scary for me to think too about whom largely registered partisans left voting this May will actually pick on the GOP side as being just one step closer to possibly being our next Governor.

I like that NC decided to keep the later date for its primary. It turns out it may carry greater weight this year on the democratic side. It is quite entertaining watching Mich and Fla clamoring to land its stake in the election after turning their noses up to tradition. As long as Howard Dean can stand firm and not allow those two states to reclaim power positions, it bodes well for NC. Charlotte could be in the national spotlight and the NC primary could determine the Democrat nominee.

With that said, McCain will carry NC in the national election.

Given how far behind Clinton is in NC polls (one showed her 21 points behind yesterday or the day before), would a debate in this state really benefit her at this point? It seems like her campaign would prefer to focus on the super delegates.

I don't think a debate here would do anything for national image, perception, or anything else in the long run, but I do think it would be fun and great for us to have something like this for everything that would be around it. The rallies that I'm sure come with it, the media coverage, the protests, all of it.

I went to the Obama thing at Grady Cole (and got front row seats!) and loved the atmosphere and the event. I didn't know t-shirt vendors combed the parking lots at these things like they do concerts.

Given where the race is at this point if it did happen the city would be packed with media people from around the world. The last event that I can remember where this kind of coverage would take place was the trial of Jim Bakker in the late 1980s. It was so big that even the Soviet ambassador inquired in Europe to a US official about the trial in Charlotte.

I would also assume there won't be much enthusiasm from McCroy if this event did come to Charlotte. It would be interesting to see how he might handle it or be involved with it. He can't be happy with the fact that 58,000+ voters in Penn switched from the GOP to the democratic party in order to vote in the upcoming primary there. A similar response here in NC would severely hinder his ability to get the governor position in NC. (though I think the democratic machine here is going to chew him up and spit him out anyway if he is nominated)

^ FWIW, Obama has agreed to a debate in NC, but do not think Clinton has yet.

I used to think I had a good handle on what the candidates were thinking when scheduling these events, but then to my surprise Obama went to Fayetteville... to make a speech on the war (makes sense). Clearly where the candidate stumps depends on their agenda, but a debate site brings in party politics...

Thus, one thing that will hurt Charlotte IMO, as opposed to any of the Triangle cities (not sure about Greensboro or Winston) is having a sitting Republican Mayor, who is very popular (7x) *and* is a viable GOP candidate for Governor. It's not that Charlotte wouldn't be as good a place as any to hold it. I just think given that it is a Democratic Party debate, that will be a factor. Honestly, I don't think Raleigh being the capital matters much at all. OH was in Cleveland, TX was in Austin... the common thread would be "blue" counties/cities. Frankly, using the blue measuring stick, Chapel Hill or Durham would have the clear edge... Mecklenburg went 52/48 Kerry & Wake went for Bush 51/49 in 2004 FWIW.

Actually bring up a good point. The democrats may very well agree to having the debate in Charlotte if for anything else, to show how little influence that a "governor McCroy" would have with what is most likely a democratically controlled federal government.

Obama has already agreed to the debate here in Charlotte, but the organizers are waiting to hear from Clinton. She has not responded at all. That came directly from Obama's camp.

I know she has a snowballs chance in hell to win NC, but she seems to be visiting every other major city but Charlotte. Oh well. I guess we won't get a glimpse of Anderson Cooper after all. ;)

Indeed. These are not true "debates" but spectacles put on by the networks and the candidates agree to do them for the exposure. (Except all the democrats refused to appear on a Fox News debate) The days of real debates ended years ago when the League of Women Voters stopped holding the official presidential debates.

The state DNC and CBS formally invited Clinton and Obama to a debate on April 27th, either in Charlotte at the Blumenthal or in Raleigh at NCSU. This differs from the original CBS offer of a debate on the 19th which Obama accepted and Clinton declined.

Archived