Preferred transportation modes and improvements

keyfactor

Well I'd read a copule of topics here and came to a conclusion the urban style of living is improved by increased pop density. This might be true considering the definition of urban life. Though, I think that increased pop density is just a consequence of improved urban living. Aparently, if suburbs are growing the city core isn't able to provide decent improvments.

Particulay for Atlanta the problem - I recognise - is transportation. An example seen here: a lady stated that people prefer car mode. Following living in suburb isn't a problem since personal mobility is granted. Thus there are no incentives... I decode the initial fact differently. Since Atlanta has no efficient transportation system (MARTA doesn't cont. It has an extremly deluted service coverage) one has to warm up her car engine on every occasion. This is the first thing to think about. If I have to drive car anyway, why should I live in a poluted area? Add to the problem parking inefficiency and costs and you'll find nobody i her mind moving in.

Speaking transportation what are you current personal preferrences? why? What is you driving, parking, etc. experience? What transportation improvements do you like to see in the near future?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, when I spent most of my time in the Atlanta area (I still officially live there, but I currently am attending Georgia Southern University), I used a car. I'm a little sorry to say that, but the alternate forms of transit just weren't there in Douglas County.

When I went into Atlanta, I tried to use transit when I could, since it was usually cheaper and easier than trying to find a parking space in the city.

I've always been fairly pleased with the service MARTA's heavy rail has given me, even though it did occasionally break down. It may not serve the city as extensively as, say WMATA serves the DC area, but it got me where I needed to go. Furthermore, MARTA is one of the bigger heavy rail systems in the US when you compare them all.

• 4 weeks later...
I've always been fairly pleased with the service MARTA's heavy rail has given me, even though it did occasionally break down. It may not serve the city as extensively as, say WMATA serves the DC area, but it got me where I needed to go. Furthermore, MARTA is one of the bigger heavy rail systems in the US when you compare them all.

If you're one of the lucky few who just so happens to live and work near a marta line, its pretty effective. Or if you live in Fulton or Dekalb counties the busses are pretty regular and easy to use but yeah marta is not even close to being on the same level as CTA (Chicago), MTA (New York; this is an unfair comparison though because New York has recieved ungodly amounts of federal money throughout its history to fund rail. Thus, New York MTA is on a whole 'nother level from every state or city) or MBTA (aka the T -Boston). I can't say I've ever had any experiences with BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit -san francisco) but my sister likes it ok.

The problems with atlanta aren't with marta (it IS fairly large... Somewhat lol) but with Atlanta being so sprawled out of control with no thought to transit. Atlanta really needs to develop more around marta outside of downtown. As is, Im sure it would cost WAY to much money to get marta to effectivly cover most of metro Atlanta. With subdivisions going every which way, you would have to build... well more lines and branches from those lines and branches from those branches then the state or fed has money for. While not completely hopeless, I fear that Atlanta has pretty much sealed its fate of being the next LA... so sprawled out, you really have no choice BUT to drive. Don't feel too bad though. CTA has had an uphill battle the last few years to fully fund its operations. It's really becoming a serious issue in Chicago. Here in Nashville we'll be lucky just to get rapid bus transit in the next few years so it looks like public transit is an issue just about everywhere nowadays.

When I lived in Atlanta, I drove like everyone else.

True - even though the majority of Atlanta metro residents are supporting an additional tax (at least what I believed I read a few months ago from AJC), it would take approval from the state legislature. And I don't think it's in the state legislature's best interest for an additional sales tax potentially impact the state's money making scheme.

There are a lot of states where there is a bad relationship between primary city & rural state - but it is the most disgusting in Georgia. Unfortunately, the state of Georgia will always be Atlanta's biggest road block. The state has roadblocked special taxing options for transit & development projects in Atlanta, properly funding education, enforcing stricter land use controls & preserving green space from encroaching sprawl.

Perhaps soon the gubnah' will be encouraging everyone to pray to jeebus that Atlanta traffic won't be as bad as it will continue to be.

Archived