A good fish market?

suydam

The meat market thread got me thinking....

Growing up near Detroit we always got our fish at Superior Fish

http://www.superiorfish.com/

We also frequented Pomeroy's http://www.pomeroysmarket.com/ in West Bloomfield

So here's the thing: I am a huge GR booster....I wouldn't move back to the D unless I absolutely had to... but I've lived here 3 years now and I don't think I've driven past anything even remotely like the great fish markets you find in bigger cities. Am I missing something? Is there some great fish market out there just dying to sell me a whole octopus? Am I stuck with D&W (which is passable, sometimes...but it's not a fish market)?

Please help! :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a place on Plainfield just south of 3 Mile called Sanitary Seafoood... I don't know who the marketing genius is that came up with this tempting title, but the fried fish is very reasonable. I have only bought Lake Perch there once last summer - a little pricey, and the place looks like a 70's-aged SoHo bodega.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure but I was just watching Food Network the other day where some lady was at the market in SF - and it had things from daily fresh baked breads to different kinds of cheeses, and meat, and the list goes on. It would be great to have something like that here...Wonder what a good building would be to use for that. Preferrably one along the river so you could sit along a boardwalk and eat.

r%20-%20Farmers%20Market%20aisle%20350w.jpg

p151290-San_Francisco-inside_the_Farmers_market.jpg

p18941-Helsinki-Inside_the_Market.jpg

I think the land along the river north of 196 would be the perfect spot to build one.

I'm not sure but I was just watching Food Network the other day where some lady was at the market in SF - and it had things from daily fresh baked breads to different kinds of cheeses, and meat, and the list goes on. It would be great to have something like that here...Wonder what a good building would be to use for that. Preferrably one along the river so you could sit along a boardwalk and eat.

r%20-%20Farmers%20Market%20aisle%20350w.jpg

p151290-San_Francisco-inside_the_Farmers_market.jpg

p18941-Helsinki-Inside_the_Market.jpg

I think the land along the river north of 196 would be the perfect spot to build one.

That's what this town needs--a place like the Pike St market in Seattle where the associates launch big ol' fish through the air. (Presumably this is documented on YouTube.)

ETA: look what I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOpCFUbmQM4

It gets lively at about :30

Here's another one, with insight into the je ne sais quois of the Pike Street fish market.

So I drew up some ideas of what we could do for a market...

I used the land north of 196 along the river - although I think isn't this supposed to be something Moch was going to slap a hotel on? Or is that somewhere else?

Anyways - I know the surrounding buildings and 196 itself in the drawing are not to scale - had a hell of a time with it for some reason - but it's just to give you an idea of what it would look like next to other buildings.

I would propose a 2 story all-season farmers market with permanent shops for meat/seafood/and primarily a fish market. Also included some space along monroe (in the clear glass colored area) for ground-floor retail. Have it built to LEED standards of course with glass on all sides of the building for lots of natural light.

Then right by the highway a 9 story mixed-use building on top of the market/retail building.

I used the existing parking lot for parking spaces surrounded in trees to minimize the effect of an actual parking lot - I thought a parking garage next to the building would look kind of tacky along the river...but I added plenty of on-street parking to provide more space. Who knows could even use the lot across the street for further parking (maybe another mixed use building?

The one important thing I think the market should incorporate is a slightly elevated boardwalk next to the river walk so people can sit down and look at the river - and maybe they bought some fresh bread and meat and want to eat a sandwich along the river. I think that alone would attract a lot of workers in the DT area to stop over to the market and have lunch there especially if it's sunny out. And of course if it is raining outside - I provided a canopy for some shade (also shade out the hot sun)

Here's some pictures of my sketch (I'm not a pro or anything - just trying to get the vibe going on what could happen)

market1.jpg

market2.jpg

market3.jpg

market4.jpg

market5.jpg

market6.jpg

Maybe somebody can come up with something better (or maybe even a better location)

So I drew up some ideas of what we could do for a market...

I used the land north of 196 along the river - although I think isn't this supposed to be something Moch was going to slap a hotel on? Or is that somewhere else?

Anyways - I know the surrounding buildings and 196 itself in the drawing are not to scale - had a hell of a time with it for some reason - but it's just to give you an idea of what it would look like next to other buildings.

I would propose a 2 story all-season farmers market with permanent shops for meat/seafood/and primarily a fish market. Also included some space along monroe (in the clear glass colored area) for ground-floor retail. Have it built to LEED standards of course with glass on all sides of the building for lots of natural light.

Then right by the highway a 9 story mixed-use building on top of the market/retail building.

I used the existing parking lot for parking spaces surrounded in trees to minimize the effect of an actual parking lot - I thought a parking garage next to the building would look kind of tacky along the river...but I added plenty of on-street parking to provide more space. Who knows could even use the lot across the street for further parking (maybe another mixed use building?

The one important thing I think the market should incorporate is a slightly elevated boardwalk next to the river walk so people can sit down and look at the river - and maybe they bought some fresh bread and meat and want to eat a sandwich along the river. I think that alone would attract a lot of workers in the DT area to stop over to the market and have lunch there especially if it's sunny out. And of course if it is raining outside - I provided a canopy for some shade (also shade out the hot sun)

Here's some pictures of my sketch (I'm not a pro or anything - just trying to get the vibe going on what could happen)

Maybe somebody can come up with something better (or maybe even a better location)

Alright so I decided to tweak my design a little bit for those who are interested. Since fotoman made the point about the noise and lack of a view - I decided to point the building to stare directly at the fish ladder. Granted you won't get a view of downtown but you will get to see parts of Union Square, the Fish Ladder, and the Plate building that is going up.

I decided to move the driveway off the intersection because now the building is taking up most of the driving space. 6 parking spaces (including street) were taken out but still plenty of parking I think.

I changed the glass a little bit on the tower because there was too much of it and it kinda distracted the colors of the building that I was going for. I also think since the changes that there is a lot more landscaping surrounding the river which gives it a nice touch and could easily fit in with the 6th st park

newmarket1.jpg

newmarket2.jpg

newmarket3.jpg

newmarket4.jpg

Alright so I decided to tweak my design a little bit for those who are interested. Since fotoman made the point about the noise and lack of a view - I decided to point the building to stare directly at the fish ladder. Granted you won't get a view of downtown but you will get to see parts of Union Square, the Fish Ladder, and the Plate building that is going up.

...newmarket4.jpg

I like this layout as well. It'd be really cool if you could have sort of a hanging mezzanine about 2/3 of the way up this glass area on the inside with tables so you could have a great view of the river in the summer and winter while enjoying your meal and beer/wine.

Are there stores around that feature Michigan wine? That would be a cool store for this place. A tasting room/wine store. Then on nice days the tasting room could be outside, along with an area to sell wine by the glass with cheese and crackers.

I think there is no need for another brewery (unless I'm wrong on this one) and we already have one great brewery that just made a remodel - I think this type of project should attract wine - seeing how this type of project would be ideal for a cheese store as well. Great combination.

But who knows - the more mix the merrier.

Archived