$45 million plaza planned in Springfield

HartfordTycoon

It's always good to see development in Springfield. This is just another sign that our strong region is now reinvesting in it's urban cores. If we can just work more closely to build a stronger regional dynamic and identity I have no doubt that this is the tip of the iceburg for urban infill developmet here in the "Knowledge Corridor" (Hartford-Springfield-New Haven).

Springfield Republican Article

large_Westinghouse4.jpg

large_WestinghouseSiteMap327.jpg

SPRINGFIELD - A Newton company is proposing a $45 million shopping plaza at the former Westinghouse plant on Page Boulevard in East Springfield.

The developer, Packard Development, plans to meet with residents and city officials at 7 p.m. Tuesday, at 32 Stevens St., off Page Boulevard, to discuss its proposal.

The meeting will provides residents with an opportunity to learn more about the project, and raise questions and any concerns, said Kathleen N. Brown, president of the East Springfield Neighborhood Council.

The project includes demolition of all buildings on the 41-acre property, cleanup and construction, according to an environmental notification form filed by the company.

"This project will have a significant neighborhood impact and we want that impact to be positive as opposed to negative," Brown said. "During the planning stage, this is the time to ensure quality results."

Brown said she has heard both positive and negative reaction to the proposal, with some people saying looking forward to having a shopping center, and some residents raising concerns about significantly increased traffic.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's always good to see development in Springfield. This is just another sign that our strong region is now reinvesting in it's urban cores. If we can just work more closely to build a stronger regional dynamic and identity I have no doubt that this is the tip of the iceburg for urban infill developmet here in the "Knowledge Corridor" (Hartford-Springfield-New Haven).

I just looked at this with virtual earth and innitially thought it a shame to tear down a huge old factory complex. but really there are only 2 buildings that really have any potential. the one pictured above and a larger one near by facing Stevens street. If the developer could include these buildings in their plan I think the project would be great. as it anything built ther will likely bring the area up. I just hope it doesnt end up being family dollar stores etc.

Just like HT said however re investment in this area is a good sign for the region as a whole. The Vacant factories need to be put to new use otherwise they bring areas down and invite criminal activity while left empty

Archived