Any Detroiters Bouncing Over to Metro GR for ThunderHawk?

metrogrkid

Just was wondering if any of the D-Town crew heard about the addition of the Vekoma-manufactured steel suspended rollercoaster THUNDERHAWK being built at Michigan's Adventure (MIA) for this coming summer 2008? This should make the "giant" 2.5 hour trip from Metro Detroit over to the Metro Grand Rapids a little more worthwhile.

This 2-min/20-sec ride, at 2,200 feet long and 105 feet in height and featuring five inversions and speeds nearing 55-mph, will hopefully initiate the image of MIA being a true "thrill ride" park and will hopefully also bring MIA's attendance to 700,000+ visitors this year.

We're hoping that because of downtown GR's position as the Muskegon-bound pass-through from eastern-, northern- and southern-originating traffic at US-131 and I-196 and its close proximity to US-131 and I-96, that it could become an ideal spot to "land" after a day out at MIA for a "night in the OTHER city". ;)

thlogo.jpg

Here's some current construction pics (courtesy of MIA and MIABlogOnline):

Michigans_Adventure_3_8_1.jpg

Michigans_Adventure_3_6_2.jpg

Michigans_Adventure_3_6_3_.jpg

Michigans_Adventure_3_6_4_.jpg

th_0225_04.jpg

th_0311_01.jpg

th_0311_02.jpg

th_0311_03.jpg

th_0311_05.jpg

th_0311_06.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, Cedar Point is closer, and for the most part a superior park. The water park (at Michigan's Adventure) is pretty decent, though.

It's kind of a stretch to pop into the Detroit thread to advertise a theme park that's not only three hours away from Detroit, but almost an hour from Grand Rapids, don't you think? ;)

Unfortunately, Cedar Point is closer, and for the most part a superior park. The water park (at Michigan's Adventure) is pretty decent, though.

It's kind of a stretch to pop into the Detroit thread to advertise a theme park that's not only three hours away from Detroit, but almost an hour from Grand Rapids, don't you think? ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

DETROITERS!!

WOW! You folks were over at Michigan's Adventure (along with alot of Lansing Alpha Kappa Alpha ladies) HOLDING IT DOWN!! Detroit was definitely in effect at MIA this past Saturday (8/9/08).

By what I was hearing in the line for Thunderhawk, it seems to be pretty popular with some of you Motown Coasterheads. It was fun meeting and riding with the really cool Detroiters that I got to meet. SEE YOU ALL NEXT SUMMER!!

-Metrogrkid

Archived