Questions about Sydney

M. Brown

Im curious to find out more about Sydney. I never quite understood Australia. In Australia do they not go by city proper? Also is Australia expensive to live? How is the cost of living compared to the US? Also is there a lot of rasicm in Australia? Is there more than the US?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M. Brown

I appreciate that you would like to know more about Sydney and Australia in general.

Firstly Sydney is the largest city in Australia with a population of over 4.5 million people and growing by 1,000 on average per week. It is not the capital city of Australia as Canberra is - a relatively small city by comparison with a population of just over 320,000.

Sydney is definitely the most expensive city in Australia as far as rents, housing, transport and food pricing.

Melbourne is the 2nd largest city with a population of just over 4 million people and is following Sydney as far as expenses. Brisbane comes in 3rd with a population of just over 2 million people but still relatively cheap compared to Sydney and Melbourne.

The price of living is once again cheaper in the smaller capital cities and towns in varoius States of Australia.

I'm sure it is kind of the same in the U.S. depending where you live. Prime examples in the U.S. are the exorbitant exorbitant prices of either living in N.Y.C and/or Chicago. By the same token, like Australia, I'm sure the general prices of living in smaller cities and towns are considerably cheaper.

As far as racism goes, like anywhere (including the U.S.) it depends who you come into contact with. Racism is a funny thing. It can work subtly or overtly.

Fortunately in Australia it is growing trend to now teach children in both primary and high schools via special progammes in the curriculum to "speel out" the evils of racism.

I hope this gave you a general overveiw M. Brown and has answered your questions.

BTW M. Brown or others, if you have any further questions particularly about Sydney, shoot!

Otherwise, if they're more about Australia in general, perhaps the Urban Discussion section @ the very top of the forums. Just a suggestion/recommendation.

Archived