Waterside District

umterp03

On 1/31/2017 at 3:41 PM, Arctic_Tern said:

Also, I did some digging around the Waterside District website, and I found this PDF: http://www.watersidedistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/WatersideDistrict-EventsReferenceGuide-2017.pdf

It looks like a presentation to advertise their ability to host private events (of up to 6000 people combined!), but it has some awesome renderings of The Market, The Harbor Club, The Blue Moon Taphouse, as well as a floorplan for the 1st and 2nd floors! Although, to my eye, it looks like the 1st floor still has a bunch of open space where unannounced tenants will go, and the 2nd floor layout looks like it was clipped from a larger layout (I also doubt that the 2nd floor will just be the Harbor Club).

The last slide features another Cordish property (I think Baltimore?) that has floating eating areas. That looks like a great use of the water! Why haven't we seen that in the Waterside proposal yet?

I'm really interested to see what else is going to be announced in the coming weeks. Less than 9 weeks until it's supposed to open.

So I was looking back at the floor plans and I kind of wonder about a couple of things.  Where is the Star Hill Brewery?  Why isn't it listed?  Also, my guess would be that the Stripers will be in that upper right portion of the building that doesn't have anything showing yet.  I know I saw somewhere that they plan for that restaurant to be about 7500 sq. ft or so.  I wonder if Harbor Club is going take up the entire 2nd floor or will there be other stuff up there....

6 hours ago, Chris G. said:

"Guy Fieri's Smokehouse marketplace stall will feature an abbreviated menu of Guy's Smokehouse favorite...."

Wait. What? A "stall" with an "abbreviated" menu?!  That's not what was announced and promoted. Louisville got the first restaurant, & we were supposed to get the second one. 

https://www.google.com/amp/pilotonline.com/life/flavor/restaurants/celebrity-chef-guy-fieri-opening-restaurant-at-waterside-district-in/article_38751498-4238-5c70-9c3c-5d13ec03a61b.amp.html

The original article from July 2016 announcing the venture clearly implies that we're getting a 7400 square-foot restaurant. So unless the term "stall" equates to a full restaurant and a huge bar (as in Louisville),  there's been a bait and switch. I've seen pictures of the one in Louisville, and it's no "stall!"  And an "abbreviated" menu could only be based on the FULL menu down there...because that's the only one he's got right now!!

So if we are to believe  this newest article, the only celebrity themed restaurant in the area will now be a stall with a limited menu. Whoopie!!

UPDATE:

Sadly, Cordish's own website has been updated to confirm the details as quoted in the recent article.

http://watersidedistrict.com/2017/04/the-cordish-companies-unveils-additional-details-for-the-market-at-waterside-district/

Edited by baobabs727

Well that sucks. That was the first place I wanted to try, because it was something different. Seemed like the perfect place to sit down and have a meal. I mean, I guess I can still order from the "abbreviated" menu and sit at a table, but this is a little disappointing.

Isn't Starr Hill the rooftop brewery they proposed?

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BFG said:

Well that sucks. That was the first place I wanted to try, because it was something different. Seemed like the perfect place to sit down and have a meal. I mean, I guess I can still order from the "abbreviated" menu and sit at a table, but this is a little disappointing.

Isn't Starr Hill the rooftop brewery they proposed?

I'm not sure they ever specified the exact location as the rooftop, but it is still coming… Only with a minor name change from "brewery" to  "market bar."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

I'm not sure they ever specified the exact location as the rooftop, but it is still coming… Only with a minor name change from "brewery" to  "market bar."

From what I understand, Starr hill is basically just a large kiosk in the middle of the market, a glorified beer stand.  It's not the brewery that was initially advertised.  That is turning out to be the case with most of the establishments announced.

I'm still excited about the opening and what it can do for Norfolk, but I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the sudden changes. I'll hold judgment until it opens, but I'm kinda bummed that they switched everything up at the last minute.

Appreciate the clarification.  Somebody's watching.

Excellent news! Poor website  management and descriptive writing. They need to rewrite the Guy Fieri's Smokehouse entry on the website to convey the actual reality of the situation.  One might've thought or assumed  something was going to happen based on past information, but no one would've gotten that we were getting a full-service restaurant by reading the 4/12/2017 update on that website. 

Edited by baobabs727

Joe's had a good run, but I agree it doesn't seem to fit the atmosphere of the new place. Seems they want either local names, or national chains you can't find in Hampton Roads. Since there's one in Greenbrier, I'm okay with it not coming back.

As far as the food, I found it okay, but it's not in my Top 5 seafood restaurants. Come to think of it, anytime I met friends there, I think it was for the drinks lol...

5 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Here is a question about the ultimate fate of Joe's Crab Shack at Waterside District. I know Cordish signed a lease with JCS but I have seen no activity at that location. Further, when the announcement about Stripers Grill locating at Waterside District was made it was said that they won't open until Fall. When I was there yesterday taking pics I noticed that the boards "annonncing" Stripers are placed over the windows where Joe's was located.

This is just a question, as I have no real information. I know that Norfolk, and Cordish both wanted Joe's Crab Shack out. I never liked JCS myself, and I feel like their "style" is not a very good fit with the new tenants. Stripers Grill would be a great trade off IMO.

20170415_092422.jpg

You're not wrong to be confused. All of the statements of fact that you have made are correct, to my knowledge. We are both outsiders in this, and all we can do is digest what Cordish puts out there on their website and in the media . They have not done a great job communicating with precision, clarity and detail on occasion, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Unless, of course, there is some clarifying tweet yet to be released!

Edited by baobabs727

I'm pretty sure JCS had originally wanted to return, but I think the announcement of Striper's indicates that they have moved in a different direction.  I sincerely doubt they'd have both those seafood restaurants in there.  I really like the mix of places and options.  It seems strange, though, that the Chipotle seems to be being glossed over by Cordish.  It's clearly gonna be there, but it almost seems that they are considered not part of the official mix.

I'm not certain what this will be, I can't get a good feel for it. Are they looking to keep this area vibrant after 10, or shut it down. some establishments suggest it will stay open until later hours while some suggest they pack up and go home at 10. Dt doesn't need anymore 10 to 10 establishments. They need things that will make people want to spend money to park and deal with a bit of traffic.

Also, i thought they were doing something with one of the roofs? Wasn't it suppose to b see-through or something? From the pics, I do not see that.

• Like 1

From what I've heard Cordish themselves will run most of the restaurants and a lot of the local names you hear are licensing agreements.  I had heard even Cogans was going to be run by Cordish, not 100% sure it's truth though.  I was told that Chipotle was a complete stand alone tenant so they probably aren't wasting resources promoting them.

Just now, NFKjeff said:

I don't know about that. Here's a story about the involvement of the Stripper's Grill owner in the new location. https://www.foodnewsfeed.com/content/stripers-seafood-restaurant-coming-waterside-district-fall

I know that if I spent years building a brand I wouldn't let someone else manage it, especially in the same market. 

The Stripper's grill huh? That must be something! ;)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mikeas said:
From what I've heard Cordish themselves will run most of the restaurants and a lot of the local names you hear are licensing agreements.  I had heard even Cogans was going to be run by Cordish, not 100% sure it's truth though.  I was told that Chipotle was a complete stand alone tenant so they probably aren't wasting resources promoting them.

I do know for a fact that another local small business in Norfolk was approached by Cordish to open a kiosk in the market place, and when they couldn't agree on terms Cordish offered to simply license the businesses name from them. They declined. The Cordish rep stated this is what they were doing for Cogans. I'm sure the same is true for some of the other non-anchor restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Nate.O

The bike rack is actually 5-6 years old believe it or not.

Took this from Portsmouth this evening with my cell phone.  The Waterside sign looks pretty good.  The Hilton and new Waterside are pretty dramatic changes to the skyline/view.  Need a couple more towers in there.

20170421_190532.jpg

Edited by mikeas

I was able to check out the new waterside this past weekend while visiting. The brick and distress sign definitely looks nice. What I did notice is, the inside center, at least from my vantage point looks waaaaaayyyy more spacious.  Not sure if it was the lighting or just the openness look from waterside drive. I wanted to walk over, but it was wet and raining. Also seems like they have two huge led monitors going up on each corner or maybe its just huge sign mounts, not sure. If they will be lights, it will definitely livin' it up. I didn't see in the plans or pictures, but I was hoping they had an outside barge for one of the restaurants like they do here in bmore.  I think uniqueness is the key to this development.

• Like 1