Waterside District

umterp03

I'd like to see Norfolk bring in some more chain restaurants as well as a local seafood restaurant that can become a landmark. I'm a big fan of the local places but a lot of the military people in the region love the chain restaurant's they grew up with back in their home town. Hampton Roads could use another PF Changs and downtown Norfolk would be a great place for it.

My ultimate plan for waterside would be to keep most of the upstairs for the nightclubs and remake the downstairs into an appealing family destination mostly consisting of restaurants,food vendors, and an open air/farmers market all with public views of the water. I think Have a Nice Day Cafe should give up their views to someone who could take advantage of them. The food court should be restored to its glory with the fudge makers and all. The farmers market could spill out onto the board walk on the weekends. The waterfront should be taken advantage of by offering boat rentals and maybe have fishing trips that depart from the docks. They should encourage boat traffic by having free boat parking and expand the marina to encourage overnight stays being that it is located at mile marker 0 of the intracoastal waterway.

I'd like to see Norfolk bring in some more chain restaurants as well as a local seafood restaurant that can become a landmark. I'm a big fan of the local places but a lot of the military people in the region love the chain restaurant's they grew up with back in their home town. Hampton Roads could use another PF Changs and downtown Norfolk would be a great place for it.

My ultimate plan for waterside would be to keep most of the upstairs for the nightclubs and remake the downstairs into an appealing family destination mostly consisting of restaurants,food vendors, and an open air/farmers market all with public views of the water. I think Have a Nice Day Cafe should give up their views to someone who could take advantage of them. The food court should be restored to its glory with the fudge makers and all. The farmers market could spill out onto the board walk on the weekends. The waterfront should be taken advantage of by offering boat rentals and maybe have fishing trips that depart from the docks. They should encourage boat traffic by having free boat parking and expand the marina to encourage overnight stays being that it is located at mile marker 0 of the intracoastal waterway.

I think this is exactly how I envisioned the NEW Waterside. Keep the upstairs bars and nightclubs and remake the downstairs into a Farmer's Market flea market type kiosks. This could all be accomodated in the center portion of the center, therefore you can keep the chains Hooters, Outback and Joe's Crabshack on the bottom floor. Every one wins from the families to the party goers.

I think this is exactly how I envisioned the NEW Waterside. Keep the upstairs bars and nightclubs and remake the downstairs into a Farmer's Market flea market type kiosks. This could all be accomodated in the center portion of the center, therefore you can keep the chains Hooters, Outback and Joe's Crabshack on the bottom floor. Every one wins from the families to the party goers.

No kiosks please. Maybe you didn't mean kiosks as in those horrible mall kiosks with the annoying people trying to make you buy crap... Also, I just don't like the word kiosks, but managed to use the word "kiosks" five times in one post.

I'm not a fan of the mall Kiosk myself but I would say that atleast a part of the indoor farmers/open market area would be something that could be disassembled to make way for evening entertainment events. On the weekends the boardwalk could be lined with tent's selling local goods.

I'm not a fan of the mall Kiosk myself but I would say that atleast a part of the indoor farmers/open market area would be something that could be disassembled to make way for evening entertainment events. On the weekends the boardwalk could be lined with tent's selling local goods.

Sorry I did not know what else to call the where vendors sell their produce. I meant permanent booths where the food establishments are now. Kiosk are not necessarily a bad thing they are protable and can be easily dissassembled. I could envision Kiosk in the middle of waterside selling their wears. I've seen them in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

• 1 month later...

Here are the new talks about Waterside:

Can Norfolk's Waterside become a community center?

Will couples dancing the two-step replace girls dancing on bars? The city reached out Thursday to the region's creative community to help revive aging Waterside Festival Marketplace, outlining a plan that calls for local theater, music, dancing and other community events to fill vacant spaces in the riverfront entertainment complex.

Arts and business leaders embraced the idea. Many said local energy and charm have long been missing from Waterside.

Shaking my head...

A community center?! Are you kidding me?! I can name so many reasons why this is the dumbest thing the city could do. I'd rather it be the Waterside of today than a freaking community center. Save that for when Downtown has a population of 10000+. Oh well.
How about they rebuild the same waterside... only this time, with attractive women at it's bars ;)

actually have to agree, a community center is the stupidest thing to turn Waterside into....building a community center in St Paul Quadrant when that all begins, now that makes sense.

It is amazing the city is having such a hard time deciding what to do with their riverfront property...it is as if they havent visited one of millions of other waterfronts in just about every city in the world to see what they are all doing. I am sure there is one city out there that is doing something that would work well for Norfolk.

LOL, i read this in the paper this morning and just imagined what the reactions would be like, and sure enough, exactly what i thought they'd be, which i am in complete agreement with, probably the stupidest idea Norfolk has come up with in a long time

there is some good news in the article, in regards to new entrances, tearing down walls and opening up views and windows within Waterside, and having it complete by July 4th

LOL, i read this in the paper this morning and just imagined what the reactions would be like, and sure enough, exactly what i thought they'd be, which i am in complete agreement with, probably the stupidest idea Norfolk has come up with in a long time

there is some good news in the article, in regards to new entrances, tearing down walls and opening up views and windows within Waterside, and having it complete by July 4th

Well, I guess it is the same difference considering we barely have vendors in the food court now, butttttttttttttttttttt are they saying they are going to do away with the food court and just make an open view of waterside drive and Bay systems and expect people to fall in line or think vendors would want to come back to waterside? Don't you open walls and things like that when you need the space for something? They need the space for WHAT???

Edited by brikkman

The City does a very poor job of communicating its ideas and vision for the long term. Community Center is a stupid idea for the long term but not such a horrible idea for the short term. Razing the structure is still a couple years off. As businesses begin to close down and leases expire the City needs to do something as a temporary measure so the building does not become a wasteland. It'd be stupid to try and attract new retailers/businesses at this stage. It's also dumb to sink a ton of money into the project. The City is essentially waiting for as many leases to expire as possible which buys time for a vision/plan to be developed. Now if that vision is great or just so-so, we'll all have to wait and see. The flip side is the City still has a commitment to the retailers in Waterside, they just can't turn their back on those business owners. The city should have done a much better job communicating this plan as a temporary measure because ordinary citizens will be disappointed if they have high expectations in the short term.

• 1 month later...

I a stroll of waterside during harbor fest and seen the newly expanded sitting area. I must admit, it does open it up, it looks more like a food court now. The funny thing is, they open it up to more seating and lighting with no one to serve the people. The area is open like a lot of people visit all day every day and the assumption is that there are vendors there to make food, but it isn't. Weird concept. More places for the bums to hangout.

I have pictures....

I a stroll of waterside during harbor fest and seen the newly expanded sitting area. I must admit, it does open it up, it looks more like a food court now. The funny thing is, they open it up to more seating and lighting with no one to serve the people. The area is open like a lot of people visit all day every day and the assumption is that there are vendors there to make food, but it isn't. Weird concept. More places for the bums to hangout.

I have pictures....

I had the same impression, although during big events like harborfest, waterside is packed to capacity and the idea of street vendors and musicians works well.. I don't know what we can do with waterside. I hate that place.

Two notes about waterside and town point park:

1. it looks like the gym downtown is moving into the corner space of waterside closest to waterside drive.

2. tpp is going to be an amazing place to take pictures of the westin!

Thats interesting.....I wonder why the gym is moving???

I agree, TPP will be perfect for Westin Progress Pics, in addition to DT Portsmouth!

Thats interesting.....I wonder why the gym is moving???

The Gym is not moving. It is expanding with an additional location to be better able to serve those who work in the downtown towers.

The Gym Downtown Waterside Fitness Studio

The Gym Downtown has opened a 2nd location inside Waterside on the first floor. During our introductory period

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

I still dont see why Waterside doesnt just go back to having a large collection of food eateries and small business retail stores...it always seemed like a good fit for the events that would happen along TPP...plus with the amount of office workers that are on the next block over, Waterside could easily cater to that market during the workdays....

Either that, or they could turn it into an actual Marketplace, and along with having eateries and small retail stores, they could add a farmer's market to it....which is nothing new, that would be the exact same thing that Seattle has with Pike Place Market...and that seems to be doing just fine for them.

I swear, it seems like the city is trying to make Waterside hard for themselves.

I'm positive if they put some good eateries, small shops, etc, they would do good business ALL week, but especially monday through friday. 30,000 people work within a few blocks of waterside, thousands live within blocks of the waterfront.. I think they could do the community building thing on saturday and sunday, but they still need places to shop and eat.