Waterside District

umterp03

On 5/9/2017 at 9:27 AM, Virginia City said:

http://wavy.com/2017/05/08/waterside-to-be-closed-for-three-days-ahead-of-grand-opening/

Well the Pilot cited the same statement Wavy did, the Pilot quote, "The announcement came in a news release shortly before midnight Sunday. It included a statement from Glenn Sutch, president of Waterside, who said the venue was “thrilled with the crowds who have visited Waterside District since we opened our doors,” but included no other explanation for the temporary closure."

And the Wavy quote, "Glenn Sutch, President of Waterside District, said the three-day closing was planned.

“It’s commonplace that when we do that, in all of our districts across the country, we soft open, we close, we regroup, we make tweaks, take good notes, and then we prep for our grand opening celebration.”

Take that as you will.

I was taking issue with the "unexpectedly" that the pilot included in the title to their article. They did that to make it sound like there was some sort of problem. In the article you quoted, they stated specifically that they've done this with all their properties, so there's really nothing "unexpected" about it. I just went by Waterside and they've done A LOT of work, do I can understand why they closed. A lot of stuff has been set up. Interestingly, the front half of Blue Moon taphouse is actually open, and they were very busy serving customers

22 hours ago, BFG said:

I really only went to Blue Moon, so I didn't get to check out too much other than the commons area. I got the impression that it's just bars, with a smaller food court. I would like to check it out again, maybe during the daytime. A friend of mine said it felt like a giant pub (he went to Guy Fieri's), which sounds about right.

Honestly, I do think there should be some sort of entertainment style venue to break everything up. Not quite as large as Jillian's or Dave and Buster's, but something along the lines of a pool hall or "barcade". Something that could also be family-friendly during the day.

If/when they decide to do something with the old annex space, I hope they don't get rid of the "Greetings from Norfolk" postcard mural. Even though I think it should face the 264 offramp, it's a nice little conversation piece or photo backdrop.

I understand your complaints, but everything doesn't need to be "family friendly". Virginia Beach is trying to be family friendly, as is Norfolk, Chesapeake, etc. There's nothing wrong with having something vibrant and hip that caters primarily to young adults. They're the ones who give a city the energy and life that we typically look for. Town Point Park has many daytime events which are family friendly (check out the Luminarium this weekend), but at night, I think we should just let Waterside be Waterside. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dave and Buster's or even just an arcade there, but I don't see where they have the space.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

I understand your complaints, but everything doesn't need to be "family friendly". Virginia Beach is trying to be family friendly, as is Norfolk, Chesapeake, etc. There's nothing wrong with having something vibrant and hip that caters primarily to young adults. They're the ones who give a city the energy and life that we typically look for. Town Point Park has many daytime events which are family friendly (check out the Luminarium this weekend), but at night, I think we should just let Waterside be Waterside. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dave and Buster's or even just an arcade there, but I don't see where they have the space.

Exactly, while having family friendly attractions is necessary, it is also not necessary to ensure that EVERY attraction is family friendly. 

• Like 2

I think Waterside is going to suffer during the daytime because the venue is so bar centric. All I am advocating for is for the Waterside to attract a Dave and Buster's type restaurant that would appeal to adults and kids alike.  Being a bar only ensures the place is busy at night on the weekend just like the old version of Waterside. 

I'm waiting for the city council's reaction.  This is exactly what I thought it was going to be. What's shocking was chiplote IMO.  Because I see powerplanet live everyday here in bmore, I expected this would be the outcome. These people party hard here, beer is at the forefront of all that do here.  When I heard they were taking it over, this is ideally what I thought the outcome would be. I do not think waterside should be dedicated to family's anyways, I think the region has grown with options and it would be hard to attract a constant family base in waterside today.  I think the city would do better investing in something like a children's museum downtown. I do not think there are any children's museum in the region or perhaps a dave and busters style entertainment establishment on granby.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, skylinefan said:

I think Waterside is going to suffer during the daytime because the venue is so bar centric. All I am advocating for is for the Waterside to attract a Dave and Buster's type restaurant that would appeal to adults and kids alike.  Being a bar only ensures the place is busy at night on the weekend just like the old version of Waterside. 

Are three-martini lunches not a thing with the business crowd anymore?

• Like 2

The Children's Museum is in downtown Portsmouth. Quick ferry ride over. 

The Market side should stay open during the day, and maybe offer a limited lunch menu. It's perfect for people at ADP or Norfolk Southern who don't have a lot of time to sit down for a meal. 

Chipotle will definitely help. 

• Like 3

If you're not already in line for Weezer forget it. No way in hell you're getting in now. I'm going to sit at the bar and drink and just listen, lol. They need to open ALL of Town Point Park when they have events like this. The area they have cordoned off is way too small.

20170511_201818.jpg

20170511_202047.jpg

20170511_202131.jpg

20170511_202559.jpg

20170511_202556.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Sooooooo, how was the show?

It was phenomenal. Had a very good time and good vibes all around. Everyone just seemed to be happy, which is nice to see. It reminds me that all the haters who comment on the pilot truly are a minority in this area.

• Like 1

I do have one major gripe that I think they need to address. Waterside closes entirely too early. Most of the places close at midnight with some closing as early as 11? Really? The only place that stays open till 2 is PBR which, let's face it, not everyone wants to go to. I had some friends in from out of town that wanted to visit. Tried to get in to the marketplace around 11 or 12 and were told it was closed. Bottom line, I think once the newness wears off these early closing times will have a negative impact on Waterside's chances for success. Most young adults don't even head out till 10/11. Who wants to pay for a Lyft/Uber to go all the way down there and see that it's closed? They need to fix that.

• Like 2

I had the same problem when I went to Grain during the Waterside preview weekend. I don't know what these places are thinking, but in the long run, they're not going to be very successful closing that early. Especially if Norfolk wants to eventually become a 24-hour downtown.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, vdogg said:

I do have one major gripe that I think they need to address. Waterside closes entirely too early. Most of the places close at midnight with some closing as early as 11? Really? The only place that stays open till 2 is PBR which, let's face it, not everyone wants to go to. I had some friends in from out of town that wanted to visit. Tried to get in to the marketplace around 11 or 12 and were told it was closed. Bottom line, I think once the newness wears off these early closing times will have a negative impact on Waterside's chances for success. Most young adults don't even head out till 10/11. Who wants to pay for a Lyft/Uber to go all the way down there and see that it's closed? They need to fix that.

Not sure what time powerplanet live closes here in bmore, but it definitely isn't 12. I know i've been there to at least 130 before and did a show at rams head live i know longer t than that a few times (although they have an additional entry point).. The metro stops at midnight. That is a little concerning, so what I read in the article was right. I'll try and find the quote, but the president said this was on purpose (the time) so this maybe come an issue as he made it a point to close it early according to them.

• Like 2

I can not find the article, but the president of waterside (I also thought was weird) mentioned that it will not stay open late (12 i believe) and had some other verbiage about it being for family and friends, something along that line. I remember reading it and going huh but figured I read it too quickly. But yeah, I guess it was a part of the original plan all along.  I'm not sure how that works for the long run AT ALL. I mean, even if you closed early  in the winter, I could understand that, but going into the summer, it needs to stay open later than that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

Not sure what time powerplanet live closes here in bmore, but it definitely isn't 12. I know i've been there to at least 130 before and did a show at rams head live i know longer t than that a few times (although they have an additional entry point).. The metro stops at midnight. That is a little concerning, so what I read in the article was right. I'll try and find the quote, but the president said this was on purpose (the time) so this maybe come an issue as he made it a point to close it early according to them.

Really? Man. I am so tired of this area getting watered down crap. If they weren't willing to treat us like a real city then they shouldn't have come here in the first place. I'm not sure how much support I'll lend to this endeavor if they plan on staying like that. I almost wish something else was there now. I fail to see how closing early keeps things "family friendly". Most families would've taken their kids home long before then anyway. Why can't adults have somewhere fun to be after?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Really? Man. I am so tired of this area getting watered down crap. If they weren't willing to treat us like a real city then they shouldn't have come here in the first place. I'm not sure how much support I'll lend to this endeavor if they plan on staying like that. I almost wish something else was there now. I fail to see how closing early keeps things "family friendly". Most families would've taken their kids home long before then anyway. Why can't adults have somewhere fun to be after?

Found it, it wasn't an article, it was a video. Leads up to his quote starting at minute 1:20...

Waterside

• Like 1

Boooo, lol. I guess it is what it is then. Sharply decreases my interest in going, and I won't be recommending it to friends looking for a night out. It'll still be good for daytime and early evening events, but not much else. We'll see how long this lasts.

I'm sorry but that is BS. This area wonders why it can't be taken seriously as anything other than a small town, well there's your answer. Even "family" restaurants stay open a little later. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

I don't even care if the marketplace stays open but at the bare minimum Blue Moon taphouse should stay open till 2 (including the outside areas). That would go very far towards giving people who want to stay on the waterfront for a night out options other than a country bar. I've already made my displeasure known to the Waterside district page. I plan to also send messages to the taphouse and Cordish itself. I think if enough people clamour for a later closing time they'll do it. Hell, I'd even settle for a compromise time of 1. I'm just so tired of us getting these nice things then Norfolk immediately shooting themselves in the foot with stupid decisions. I really want to see this place succeed 

• Like 2

Believe it or not I actually got a response from them.

"Hi...., thank you for your feedback! As a new establishment, there are issues we are still working through and trying out. We appreciate your insight, and we hope to see you again soon!"

I left a 3 star review on their page, in addition to the message I sent them, lol. Guess it got their attention. That they respond to feedback is a very positive sign. If you haven't already, please send them a message or leave an honest review on their page. The only way they will know what the issues are is if people tell them.

• Like 2