Waterside District

umterp03

More than likely Waterside Marina, LLC (who manages it now) has some financial issues and can't continue operating. So...they need to find a new company ASAP to manage prior to the end of the year...when their contract officially ends.

I don't see it as a negative on Waterside District's performance...though I would imagine the new smell has worn off some. I've been there several times and I don't think it's as amazing as what was sold to the city.     

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The old pedestrian bridge that crosses Waterside Drive (the one by the Sheraton, not directly to Waterside) is finally coming down. With this coming down, even though it has been closed for a while, does anyone think this means more foot traffic across Waterside which will result in less lanes as proposed before?

Waterside Drive pedestrian bridge in Norfolk to be demolished

IMO, they should just tear down both pedestrian bridges, and elevate waterside drive between the ramps, and brambleton. They can run a small service road undernieth for local traffic, and find a use for the extra property that is freed up.  Most of the traffic on waterside, and st Paul's blvd is just passing through and, when traffic is heavy, it cuts downtown into pieces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The Harvey Lindsay proposal was better than we thought. Oh, what could have been...:cry:

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_1be5ee75-a7e1-5248-91e4-5ce7e3574f78.html

“It includes a new 60,000-square-foot conference center with a ballroom and an exhibit hall large enough to hold boat shows; a

four-star hotel with 300 rooms, each with a view of the harbor; and a

28-story  office tower whose major tenants would be Clark Nexsen and TowneBank, occupying 85 percent of the building.

It would bring new jobs - 1,400 from Clark Nexsen moving its headquarters to downtown Norfolk and 40 to 50 from TowneBank - and $3.5 million a year in new tax revenue.”

8EABC79F-89F0-4CF1-94F7-DAF6EC6E0599.jpeg

I’m sad now. Don’t know how we missed this article...

Man, I can’t believe Norfolk turned this down for Cordish. WTH? I mean, it’s nonsensical. What were they thinking?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

The Harvey Lindsay proposal was better than we thought. Oh, what could have been...:cry:

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_1be5ee75-a7e1-5248-91e4-5ce7e3574f78.html

“It includes a new 60,000-square-foot conference center with a ballroom and an exhibit hall large enough to hold boat shows; a

four-star hotel with 300 rooms, each with a view of the harbor; and a

28-story  office tower whose major tenants would be Clark Nexsen and TowneBank, occupying 85 percent of the building.

It would bring new jobs - 1,400 from Clark Nexsen moving its headquarters to downtown Norfolk and 40 to 50 from TowneBank - and $3.5 million a year in new tax revenue.”

8EABC79F-89F0-4CF1-94F7-DAF6EC6E0599.jpeg

I’m sad now. Don’t know how we missed this article...

Man, I can’t believe Norfolk turned this down for Cordish. WTH? I mean, it’s nonsensical. What were they thinking?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Towne as a major tenant in Gateway. A lot of the Monarch employees have to drive to Harbour View now and that’s a hike unless you live out there. 

• Like 1

I will not settle for Gateway being anything less than 28 floors now. That was a new tallest they just threw in the trash for no reason. We could've easily got 400 ft out of that.

4 minutes ago, 23320 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Towne as a major tenant in Gateway. A lot of the Monarch employees have to drive to Harbour View now and that’s a hike unless you live out there. 

Towne Bank was only 40-50. We need to pull in 1400 to get a comparable tower. Hope ADP is expanding soon..

I vaguely recall this. I thought the tower was either going to go where The Main is, or they had planned to tear down Selden Arcade. I do remember the conference center site being at Waterside. 

Also, I got my hopes very far up that we were getting another building downtown. Evil haha

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, vdogg said:

I will not settle for Gateway being anything less than 28 floors now. That was a new tallest they just threw in the trash for no reason. We could've easily got 400 ft out of that.

Towne Bank was only 40-50. We need to pull in 1400 to get a comparable tower. Hope ADP is expanding soon..

ADP still has around 1,000 people to hire for their current space. 

• Like 1