What do we have to much of?

fsubelch

It seems like everyone is always discussing things they wish Tallahassee had. But what about the stuff we do have. Is there something our city offers, or has that we either have to much of, or really just not worth having?

I would have to say our 2 shopping malls. As mentioned in another post. I would much rather see one really nice mall rather then 2 sub standard shopping malls.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I agree w/GG especially when they all basically serve the same thing. Now if more of them served authentic Mexican food, it would be a different story. I think the same can possibly be said for the buffet style Chinese Restaurants and while I'm a fan of BBQ, we sure do have our fair share of those places too.

Now here's one that might be a little controversial, but all my non-Deep South visitors, friends and relatives generally all proclaim at some point during their visit here..."man you guys have a ton of churches, there seems to be one on every block!" I always tell them "tongue-n-cheek" that it's a City/County law that you must be able to see one church from other one. So that's not a dig at organized religion, just an observation from those that don't live here.

Oh yeah and add to that list attorneys! I know we are the State Capitol and that is the reason for it, but man have you ever looked at the list of them in the Yellow Pages? Wow! :silly: Don't hit me josefk! :P

And finally Wal-marts. Does an area this size really need 5 of them in Leon (counting the one coming on North Monroe) and one each in Gadsden and Wakulla counties for a total of 7?

^I agree w/GG especially when they all basically serve the same thing. Now if more of them served authentic Mexican food, it would be a different story. I think the same can possibly be said for the buffet style Chinese Restaurants and while I'm a fan of BBQ, we sure do have our fair share of those places too.

Now here's one that might be a little controversial, but all my non-Deep South visitors, friends and relatives generally all proclaim at some point during their visit here..."man you guys have a ton of churches, there seems to be one on every block!" I always tell them "tongue-n-cheek" that it's a City/County law that you must be able to see one church from other one. So that's not a dig at organized religion, just an observation from those that don't live here.

Oh yeah and add to that list attorneys! I know we are the State Capitol and that is the reason for it, but man have you ever looked at the list of them in the Yellow Pages? Wow! :silly: Don't hit me josefk! :P

And finally Wal-marts. Does an area this size really need 5 of them in Leon (counting the one coming on North Monroe) and one each in Gadsden and Wakulla counties for a total of 7?

Ohh, I forgot about Wal Mart! How many Super Wal Marts does a town need. At a rough estimate we can say we will have 5 super wal marts within a 10-12 miles radius? Is that safe to say.

Personally, I am hoping the super center on N Monroe will be somewhat of a decent place to shop. The wal mart on the west side of town is DISGUSTING. I hate that place, and the employees are so RUDE! Then again, has anyone been to a "nice" wal mart?

The Tampa Bay area is the second most populated metropolitan region in the state of Florida, and the 19th-largest metro area in the United States. We're talking about 2.5 million people and growing, plus another million if you add in Sarasota, etc. According to Wal Mart's store finder on their site, there are about 20 - 30 stores in that area. I'm not sure where people are getting that 50 number, but I agree that Tally has too many Wal Marts.

We also have too many football fans, but that's just my distaste for traffic and white kids painted in "indian paint" coming through.

no violent response here- especially since I tend to agree with you :P

I would have much preferred to see something a little different (and perhaps a little more up-scale) such as an Expo Store (by Home Depot) like the ones in larger metros (I've only been to the one in ATL).

I would love to see an Expo Home Store come here! I got to go in the one in or near Naples, and I was very impressed. I do agree that another Lowes and or Home Depot is kinda strtching it.

I would do anything for them to scratch the plans for one of these Wal Marts (which I think its a little to late for that) and build a Myers. Now that is a store worth shopping in. To the best of my knowledge Myers are only up north. If anyone gets a chance to stop in one of those stores, I highly recomend it!

Archived