Randolph Street building collapse

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of people on Dyes are speculating column failure, but I wonder about the integrity of the brick wall. It's entirely load bearing, and the sagging floors appear as though a result of the wall collapsing on top of it, causing the floor to bend. It did after all rip the whole fire escape down.

I really do value this building, but consider the space that will be here if the building is demolished. You'll have a collection of several empty lots on that corner that can be entirely occupied by a much larger building if all can be purchased. What that corner needs is a gateway building into Greektown. It isn't much right now, and the empty corner you see here is a challenging one to develop into anything spectacular.

I was thinking the same thing. A nice five/ten story apartment building with ground floor retail would be nice. Maybe Greektown would lease space in their parking garage across the street so they wouldn't have to add parking to any prospective project.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0366/1408/LOCAL

The owner wants it preserved. That would be nice except you should have thought about investing that $100,000 before it collapsed. Although it makes you wonder if this even the city's business to care about this at all. I mean, look at all their dirty laundry scattered about and tell me what is structurally safe. I don't believe the integrity of several other downtown structures even comes close to matching the odd fellows bldg.

As I said previously, I hope a new larger 'gateway' building goes up on that site. Detroit's continuing loss in downtown density has already tipped my scales for even caring anymore.

It doesn't matter what the owner wants, it seems. The article clearly states the city will demand it be brought down, which seems to be the most important piece of information in the whole article unless I missed something.

Could it be structurally repaired and still keep all of its historic qualities and still be feasible?

There has been work on the Oddfellows every day since the wall collapsed. The city rescinded the demolition order about a week ago, I believe. It was also determined that the high winds were not a factor in the wall's collapse, although I never did hear what the actual cause was.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure looks to be the case. I'm guessing the "windowless option" was the cheapest and quickest way to restabilize the building. Although many potential development strategies for the upper floors of that building would probably require that windows be cut out of that wll again.

Archived