Wikipedia

dan326

I've recenty taken up to editing the Baton Rouge artcile on Wikipedia and I was wondering if anybody had anythng they wanted to add to the page.

Also I want to start a "Culture" section on the page and wondered if anybody would like to write it/help me write it.

Here's some examples:

"Houston is a multicultural city with a large and growing international community.[94] The metropolitan area is home to an estimated 1.1 million (21.4 percent) residents that were born outside the United States, with nearly two-thirds of the area's foreign-born population are from south of the United States

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can help you add some photos. Wiki is opinionated facts, just be honest about what u see happening here daily.

Thanks. :)

What do you mean by "just be honest about what u see happening here daily", you mean on this thread?

Dan, that's really a nice service you are doing for our city. Thanks for the great exposure for Baton Rouge! And thanks for updating the old outdated downtown aerial with Southeast BR's new spectacular shot as well as LT's Cityscape and your new rendering for RiverPlace! :camera:

Cool new avatar LT! Who's the young guy with you??

What I mean is do your wiki article on what you see and know about BR's culture. You cannot go wrong, you started here asking for help and ideas, that's a good start, but summing up the culture on the city is a big challenge, even for wiki. It depends on where you go, where you live, and what you do when you live here.

What part of our culture are you wanting to update? The Food, Nightlife, Education, Socializing, Religion.

About the just be honest about what you see; BR has it's share of growing pains and inter and outer city troubles, that's what I mean about being honest, we all can pitch in and get different views about how culture works here, instead of focusing on one people or area, instead of paining the perfect picture that's not really what I city is all about.

Richy the little man in the avatar is my son, 3 years ago.

I'll help you add{sodEmoji.|}update this section of the Wikipedia page.

Maybe you can mention something about Baton Rouge being a college town....huge amounts of young people from LSU and Southern. That effects culture a lot...and you see the clash between the bible thumpers and the younger proffesionals and students with the blue laws (and them being repealed).

They also have the culture papers like 225 and what not...and a constantly improving music scene downtown with cajun, rock, and country music. You gotta mention 3rd street.

I think LSU and Baton Rouge represents many cultures within the state. The vast majority of students there from Louisiana are from New Orleans....then you have the Cajuns from west of the river (but south of Avoyelles). You also have some old fashoned Baptist from the bible belt (North of Avoyelles Parish) and the Florida Parishes.

The Cajuns are mostly Catholic, they are "southern democrats" (socially liberal, fiscally conservative), and they are from mostly french/canadian descent out of Nova Scotia. Eunice, Lafayette, and Breaux Bridge are the centers for these people. Many speak french as a second language, and most grew up in a bi langual family, which explains the accent.

New Orleans produces it's own unique people that tend to be more populist in terms of voting and relatively liberal socially. You can tell when someone is from New Orleans by the way they talk. There is more African influence, but the music taste is otherwise simlar to the cajuns.

The Florida Parishes and North La is predominantly socially conservative evangelical (which explains the church/bar ratio in Livingston and how Minden is a dry town). These folks speak (mostly) like people do in the rest of the south. They are very religious for the most part.

All these cultures mix in Baton Rouge, and they do so more than in any other Louisiana city....lots of people said that I lost my cajun accent at LSU because of the mix of cultures there. Baton Rouge is the "flat accent" city of Louisiana because of the mix and match of cultures.

You could talk about the major population surge after WWII through the fifties,because of the Petro-Chemical influx. That's why I'm here because both of my Grandfathers were Engineers,they moved here in the fifties from Mississippi.There is alot of people from Mississippi who established roots here in B.R. because the Plants offered good paying jobs.

I think that it would be cool to add a picture of perkins rowe and maybe one of the other new developments in town. This would give people a good idea of new growth that has already started. I also think that it would be cool to have a satellite image of Baton Rouge like New Orleans and Atlanta have in their articles. What about a picture of the newly restored Hilton in downtown?

I think the new Louisiana State Museum should definetly be added to the points of interest. A picture would be nice too. Definetly one of the major attractions downtown. It's dissapointing how few people seem to know about it. Publicity on Wikipedia might help.

What do ya'll think of this? :)

"Baton Rouge is the middle ground of South Louisiana cultures, having a mix of Cajun and Creole Catholics and Baptists of the Florida paishes and South Mississippi. It is also a college town and college students from Baton Rouge Community College, Louisiana State University,and Southern University make up approximatey 20% of the city population.In addition, there is sizeable international population of about 11,300, the largest of which are people of Hispanic or Vietnamese descent. Do to this, Baton Rouge has come to have it's own unique culture as well as be a representation of many different hertiages."

Great input yall :thumbsup: Way back this subject came up, I had said Baton Rouge was basically the "cultural crossroads" of Louisiana as cajun broke-down. I have seen it said "authentic at every turn".

I'll have to get back with you on the Arts & Theatre section.

Great input yall :thumbsup: Way back this subject came up, I had said Baton Rouge was basically the "cultural crossroads" of Louisiana as cajun broke-down. I have seen it said "authentic at every turn".

Thanks

Baton Rouge is the crossroads. New Orleans hasn't been the cultural center of Louisiana for decades. It's long had it's own unique subculture as it has become slightly more and more isolated (geographic, government, and business divide).

Baton Rouge has a little bit of Lafayette, a little bit of Shreveport, some redneck, and some New Orleans.

I'll have to get back with you on the Arts & Theatre section.

I've seen acts at Swine Palace, Ford Theater (renovation), and whatever that place is out there in Florida blvd.

Thats probably the Baton Rouge Little Theatre you are talking about down Florida Blvd. behind Bonne Carre/La.Technology Park. The LSU Swine Palace has a interesting story behind it.

It's always been amazing to me just how very close in each direction these cultures really are so different. Parishes that border EBR like Livingston(east) & the Felicianas(north) are the red-neck types w/ southern country draw; and WBR/Ascension are the Catholic coon-ass with more of a Cajun accent. You blend them together and you have red-asses here :lol:

My relatives in Lafayette and Jennings/Welsh have a much different accent than me. Not trying to stereo-type; just in general.

Nice job Dan, keep up the good work!

Cool Bryde :thumbsup: Yep, I sure do. Always nice to take a visit over to southwest Louisiana huh? My late grandmother(on mother's side) actually spoke Cajun French until the age of 5 before speaking English; she was born in St. Martinville but grew up in Welsh. My other grandmother(scotch-Irish) was raised out in the sticks near Holden not far from the Tickfaw River.

But both my parents were born & raised here in BR.

Cool Bryde :thumbsup: Yep, I sure do. Always nice to take a visit over to southwest Louisiana huh? My late grandmother(on mother's side) actually spoke Cajun French until the age of 5 before speaking English; she was born in St. Martinville but grew up in Welsh. My other grandmother(scotch-Irish) was raised out in the sticks near Holden not far from the Tickfaw River.

But both my parents were born & raised here in BR.

Man I sure hate we are losing that cajun/creole culture. My grandparents on my mothers side were born in St. Landry Parish (Grand Couteau) and spoke creole French until they were about 7. My grandpa died years ago, by my grandmother lived until 2004 (she was 92). She always loved it when she would come across someone in Jennings, Lafayette, Welsh, Crowley or even here in BR that could speak cajun or creole French. When they got married, they moved to Jennings and that's where my mother was born and grew up. None of her kids really learned the language.

Dan, for culture in BR, use Artsbr.org and Artsbr.com as a resource for cultural activities in the Capital Region.

What do ya'll think of this for "Art and Theatre"?

"Baton Rouge has an expanding visual arts scene, which is centered downtown. This increasing collection of venues is anchored by the Shaw Center for the Arts. Opened in 2005, tihs award winnig facilty houses a contemporary art gallery, traveling exhibits, a theater ,and several eateries. Another prominent facility is the Louisiana Art and Science Museum. Also known as LASM, it contains traveling art exhibits, space displays, and an ancient Egyptian section. Several smaller art galleries offering a range of local art are scattered throughout the city.

This also an emerging performance arts scene. The Baton Rouge Little Theatre, Baton Rouge River Center, and Manship Theatre mostly host traveling shows, including broadways, musical artists, and plays. Other venues include Reilly Theatre which is home to Swine Palace, a non-profit professional theatre company associated with the Louisiana State University Department of Theatre."

Thats probably the Baton Rouge Little Theatre you are talking about down Florida Blvd. behind Bonne Carre/La.Technology Park. The LSU Swine Palace has a interesting story behind it.

Yeah...I'm not the theater type unless someone I know is working there. I've been to the ones at LSU because it was required for extra credit. It was surprisingly fun.

Dan, The Manship Theatre is part of(inside) the Shaw Center for the Arts. Also the Brunner Gallery and the LSU Museum of Arts(part of the renovated old brick auto hotel). The Arts Council should be moving into offices in the One Eleven project(phase II).

The Irene W. Pennington Planetarium is connected to the Louisiana Arts & Science Museum

I am glad LSU decided to invest in downtown BR with the Shaw Center for the Arts. It has been a major catalyst in the renaissance downtown. They could have easily built it somewhere on the LSU campus.

Cajun, I'm not much into the theatre stuff either; but do go on occasion with the wife. My mom is a professional artist so I can appreciate everything going on; but I'm not really the artsy type. But that kind of stuff seems popular/trendy in taking cities to the next level,

Archived