Unspoken Problem with Downtown Hartford

grock

I will say that it makes sense that the gov't spends money on building shelters etc in the centers of the largest population densities to help the most people for the least expense. and I think this is why homeless people end up in cities

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"My powers of observation tell me that either homless people prefer cities or they are easier to see in cities because the lack of trees to hide them."

Amazing powers you have VOR! I guess it's already been said one way or another but the homeless end up in the cities because the services are here. I'm not sure if anyone has tried to analyze how many people migrate here from the suburbs for that reason or how many are natives. I doubt that the outlying towns populated by people with more money than I'll make in the next 10 years are going to come in and look for those who may have found their way here for help but there is certainly a greater sensitivity to the issue and towns and churches are providing help that may enable some to stay home. You said something about the gov't building shelters. Here in Hartford I think the only one that is directly run by the city is the fire house, but I could be wrong

the homeless end up in the cities because the services are here. I'm not sure if anyone has tried to analyze how many people migrate here from the suburbs for that reason or how many are natives.

I doubt that the outlying towns populated by people with more money than I'll make in the next 10 years are going to come in and look for those who may have found their way here for help but there is certainly a greater sensitivity to the issue and towns and churches are providing help that may enable some to stay home.

• 2 months later...

I just saw a very disturbing video on the news. A camera caught a car hit a pedestrian in downtown Hartford and then take off. What disturbed the police so much was not that the driver didn't stop, but that people and motorist just ignored what had just happened and no one bothered to help or to call 911. People just keep walking or stopped to stare, while drivers just drove around the body. Unbelievable.

I just saw a very disturbing video on the news. A camera caught a car hit a pedestrian in downtown Hartford and then take off. What disturbed the police so much was not that the driver didn't stop, but that people and motorist just ignored what had just happened and no one bothered to help or to call 911. People just keep walking or stopped to stare, while drivers just drove around the body. Unbelievable.

The national press is running wild with this story and throwing off on the citizens of Hartford. While it was a fairly short period of time before the cop showed up, I still can't believe that none of the cars stopped or anyone went up to the man... very sad and upsetting.

According to the news today there were four 911 calls within minutes with some people describing the offending vehicles and where they went. Even if that is true, it's very troubling no one got closer to Torres to help him. I think I know is son Angel Arce and this is an extremely disturbing incident that has quite frankly made me question my committment to this city.

According to the news today there were four 911 calls within minutes with some people describing the offending vehicles and where they went. Even if that is true, it's very troubling no one got closer to Torres to help him. I think I know is son Angel Arce and this is an extremely disturbing incident that has quite frankly made me question my committment to this city.

This was my post 2 months ago:

Aren't you tired of it.

ING, Mass Mutual, Met life, WFSB, Amercian AIrlines Offices.....Etc.

A police Chief who's reponse to multiple shooting over the weekend and robbery's " These people all knew each other" Doesnt that make in better?

The Mayor who who's answer to a very high murder rate for a city of 120k is "Crime is declining"

This is either Ignorance or misrepresentation, as murder is the ultimate crime.

Isnt it funny?

How about a city Council that spends part of a session weighing in on the Iraq war. I'm meet is this real? Is there no reality check with these people?

You need to buy company interest in Hartford with rich subsities.

WOW a hotdog stand moved to town.

I want some leadership that has had real Jobs.

This was my post 2 months ago:

Aren't you tired of it.

ING, Mass Mutual, Met life, WFSB, Amercian AIrlines Offices.....Etc.

A police Chief who's reponse to multiple shooting over the weekend and robbery's " These people all knew each other" Doesnt that make in better?

The Mayor who who's answer to a very high murder rate for a city of 120k is "Crime is declining"

This is either Ignorance or misrepresentation, as murder is the ultimate crime.

Isnt it funny?

How about a city Council that spends part of a session weighing in on the Iraq war. I'm meet is this real? Is there no reality check with these people?

You need to buy company interest in Hartford with rich subsities.

WOW a hotdog stand moved to town.

I want some leadership that has had real Jobs.

This city is not the problem. CT is not the problem.

the problem is nation wide and to a lesser extent world wide. Our lifestyles have desensitized us to voilence. The violence has encouraged us to be more selfish, more cloistered, and less forgiving than past generations. People look for what they can get out of a situation rather than look to see what they can do to make a situation better. We are a selfish paranoid and scared population.

Agreed.

Basically, as said ... we have no sort of moral compass anymore. It's a society where anything goes and nobody bothers teaching anyone right from wrong because (1) everyone's too lazy/busy to do it and (2) if you do that someone might get offended and that's not politically correct.

It's not so much that violence has desensitized us, but the fact that people have no respect for each other anymore. It's a world where it's every man for themself, doing as they please and to hell with everyone else. It doesn't matter who/what gets damaged or destroyed in the process of looking out for #1, yourself.

Here some solutions to make Hartford Better:

1. Build a parking lot for day visitors to hartford that costs a dollar.

2. Retain Companies and grow base. Let growth and prosperity flow outward from downtown. Look...there will always be an affordable place to live in Hartford in your lifetime.

3. Hartford is too poor, period. This whole notion of building more low income housing and places for the poor is rediculious, as most of the city is poor. HArtford, and Connecticut cities must stop being storage facilites for the poor.

4. The teenage driving around Hartford going 70 miles per hour in a toyota corolla, is not a national problem. If you recall the kid who crashed into the historical house on main street a few years age, had a suspended license and was high. He later went on to kill a pedestrian on Wethersfield avenue.

Solution: Crach down hard on these types of behaviors.;

How about this. Instead of a country without a moral compass, we have a lazy and sensationalist press corps. Instead of a sober look at statistics and trends, we have an emotional response to a video. Instead of economically frustrated and socially segregated individuals, we have a "culture of violence."

I'll be happy when this latest wave of paranoia subsides.

Archived