Thinking of buying in the West End need your opinions

reverand

Exactly...because you are higher up on an intellectual scale and tend to be more "responsible" when it comes to "eco-issues" hence the need to drive from the West End to meet any of your basic necessities seeing the lack of anything deemed a staple of urban convenience in the immediate area( pharmacy, bank, supermarket etc.)

To the OP, some of the homes in the area are absolutely gorgeous but not what I would consider a vibrant urban area. If the East Side of Pvd is out of your price range and you truly value an intact urban area, you would get more bang for your buck in Federal Hill, Smith Hill, or even Admiral or Olneyville for that matter.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Within walking distance: Hudson Street Market, Bank of America and Walgreens on Atwells, and the new supermarket in Eagle Square not much further than that. I don't like to drive unless I have to, but even if I did, I'd still be driving less than if I lived in, say, Warwick to get all those same things. I know you don't like me, but think about your statements first. Also, you don't even live here. All you ever do is drop in every so often and post a flurry of negative crap about a city/state you're not even involved with, as if Philadelphia doesn't have any of the same problems. So stop it. Go annoy the people in your own city and be constructive for once.

I think it's very weird that the OP asked for the opinions of people who live in the neighborhood and folks who don't even live in this *city* feel the need to pipe up and contradict our experiences. What's that about? Why go out of your way to argue with people who know more about the issue than you do? What's with the bizarre inclination to spread negativity, even when no one asked your opinion? There's something imbalanced about behaving like that.

So to clarify and correct my post, I'd live in West end from Westminster to Messer to Chapin to Hammond... And pretty much nowhere else..

I suppose I could be coerced to live in Westfield Lofts or Pearl Street Lofts.. But the coersion would have to be pretty severe, like complimentary kevlar vesting and armored car transport to and fro.. I might even request a tutorial on gang tags so I could fully understand the creative posts where "post no bills" applies..

So to clarify and correct my post, I'd live in West end from Westminster to Messer to Chapin to Hammond... And pretty much nowhere else..

I suppose I could be coerced to live in Westfield Lofts or Pearl Street Lofts.. But the coersion would have to be pretty severe, like complimentary kevlar vesting and armored car transport to and fro.. I might even request a tutorial on gang tags so I could fully understand the creative posts where "post no bills" applies..

Is Broadway not considered the West End? It's part of the same historic district as the armory, I always considered Broadway more part of that neighborhood than Federal Hill.

As for Jerry2, well, I've called him out for being irrelevant and annoying a bunch of times before, so the only reason he probably posted here was to try to poke at me, not because he actually thought his opinion was constructive to the discussion. Go find his other post from yesterday about Rhode Island being the Detroit of the east to see what I mean.

Actually, there is a Broadway Armory National Register District that encompasses both areas. However, at the local level, there are two Providence Historic Districts, Broadway and Armory, that oftentimes overlap with the National Register District.

So - you're both right!

Broadway I'm a huge fan.. I wont admit this to my friends who live or own there, slight tactical ank mistake back a few years ago.. But its great, I love it there.. A ture mansard vic revival..

I see the west end "armory" (ARMORY is a fictional disney character-area created by armory pptys to distinguish the previous mentioned ank-livable area from the REST of the West End.. great branding if you asked me) as broadway lite..

The WBNA though, not so much.. I suppose they do some novel work.. I will concede that.. But with the anti-everything development antidisestablishmentarianism all the time.. Its a little daunting.. But I understand if you give lumpy dufflebag slumlords like me free reign we'll vinyl side anything that's bolted down.. So for that, I salute them..

Broadway I'm a huge fan.. I wont admit this to my friends who live or own there, slight tactical ank mistake back a few years ago.. But its great, I love it there.. A ture mansard vic revival..

I see the west end "armory" (ARMORY is a fictional disney character-area created by armory pptys to distinguish the previous mentioned ank-livable area from the REST of the West End.. great branding if you asked me) as broadway lite..

The WBNA though, not so much.. I suppose they do some novel work.. I will concede that.. But with the anti-everything development antidisestablishmentarianism all the time.. Its a little daunting.. But I understand if you give lumpy dufflebag slumlords like me free reign we'll vinyl side anything that's bolted down.. So for that, I salute them..

As many know,I am on the board of the WBNA. I did not join the organization so I could be anti-business, development, establishment. I basically joined to keep grassroots activities going (park cleanups, helping businesses, helping neighbors and all the stuff that makes you rest easy at night). Others on the board did not join to be anti-everything either. The board and the membership really do care to make the neighborhood a more vibrant place. Sometimes that means making unpopular decisions. But that does not discount the great work that gets done...

Contrary to popular belief, Providence is one city, and it makes sense for active neighborhood groups and their associated membership to be concerned about the goings-on in other neighborhoods because bad development travels like wildfire around here. The idea that folks interested in the continued improvement in the quality of life should just stay in their own neighborhood is just as backward as saying that city council members should ONLY be interested in their wards and nothing else. Or that folks involved in overnight on street permitted parking should just try to get it established on their own streets, and not on other peoples' streets.

:lol:

Contrary to popular belief, Providence is one city, and it makes sense for active neighborhood groups and their associated membership to be concerned about the goings-on in other neighborhoods because bad development travels like wildfire around here. The idea that folks interested in the continued improvement in the quality of life should just stay in their own neighborhood is just as backward as saying that city council members should ONLY be interested in their wards and nothing else. Or that folks involved in overnight on street permitted parking should just try to get it established on their own streets, and not on other peoples' streets.

:lol:

Often you will see the WBNA chime in on Things Olneyville but never hear the ONA chime in on things Broadway.. Thats what I'm saying.. And I don't even like the ONA, so I guess thats a backhanded compliment..

I've never met this Kari Lang person, but from an outsiders view, not saying I'm right (I'm probably wrong), but the WBNA comes accross as a little too ambitious outside their area.. Just my two cents as an other area resident..

Hey Patrick, lets get a petition to plant some trees on Academy and Atwells.. Flowered ones like Tuxedo.. Anyone else up for a petition? Tree Lady? Help your arch-enemy out?

Often you will see the WBNA chime in on Things Olneyville but never hear the ONA chime in on things Broadway.. Thats what I'm saying.. And I don't even like the ONA, so I guess thats a backhanded compliment..

I've never met this Kari Lang person, but from an outsiders view, not saying I'm right (I'm probably wrong), but the WBNA comes accross as a little too ambitious outside their area.. Just my two cents as an other area resident..

Hey Patrick, lets get a petition to plant some trees on Academy and Atwells.. Flowered ones like Tuxedo.. Anyone else up for a petition? Tree Lady? Help your arch-enemy out?

Archived