1. 1. Should Urban Cities Ban SUVs

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if mass transit is in place
    • Lets Ban all cars in cities

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think it should be banned as long as the government still allow automaker to make and sell them. It would not be right for them to restrict where people wants to go with their SUV. But, I would suggest extra taxes such as environment impact fees or extra gas tax to make it less desirable to own a huge car.

Nothing wrong with the "SUV" itself, it's the gas that they guzzle. I think for any automobile that is non-commercial there should be a law that would impose higher taxes or something similar to discourage their use. If not higher taxes then perhaps they could impose stiffer restrictions on the automaker requiring a certain gas mileage.

I agree with the following comments :

"I dont think it should be banned as long as the government still allow automaker to make and sell them."

and

"Perhaps they could impose stiffer restrictions on the automaker requiring a certain gas mileage."

My brother is physically handicapped. He needed a new car this spring, and "tried on" numerous cars before purchasing an SUV.

He would've preferred a smaller, less-expensive vehicle, but with leg braces that go all the way to his knees, he simply didn't fit right in the "normal" cars, especially since most models now have the center consoles.

He doesn't drive a whole lot - mostly back and forth to his work, which is a couple of miles away. I am glad that my "non-urban city" allows him to do so.

Well, it's not the first time we've seen France go out of its way to be restrictive, but good point DruidCity - as much as transit may be ENCOURAGED in any city every vehicle type fits its niche, and there will always be people for whom only automobiles (and in your brother's case, spacious ones) can serve them well, unfortunately. I'd imagine he would be very angry if he was rejected from visiting Paris because of that, unless if they make special exceptions for the handicapped.

France go out of its way to be restrictive? In what other ways are there?? I don't know French history like the back of my hand, but I do know they are responsible for a lot of democratic reforms in Europe through the French Revolution - getting rid of the monarch and all.

Just things like the headscarf ban or forcing more French-like versions of words such as "e-mail".

I think that it is wrong to force people not to buy a certain kind of car for any reason. SUV's, despite their environmental problems are still one of the best selling types of cars in America. Banning them in cities would force about 80% of Americans out of the SUV market, and it would severely cripple the auto-making industry. However, giving higher taxes on the cars as a disincentive is anotherthing entirely.

Now, in Europe I really can't see why anyone would want an SUV. I've been there, and there is zero room for a large vehicle. Hummers (the original, not that H2 crap) as well as all other military vehicles are made to be able to fit through any rail tunnel in Europe (since thats where the two largest wars ever have been fought and Hummers are based on the military's design). So, could anyone image a Hummer driving through anywhere in Europe? there are some streets over there that could barely fit a standard American sedan, much less an SUV.

About the entire SUV argument - I don't understand why there is so much demand. SUV's are harder to maneuver, drive, and they handle very poorly on the roadway. Some are better then others - yes - but they are all top heavy to a degree and have less traction and ease of use in city streets of any kind.

My mother drives a huge SUV and I like it for the room in the rare occasions I'd need that kind of space (and those occasions are RARE for me personally), but they are a pain to drive. I hate having to drive it - particularly in bad weather.

My Accord can stop on a dime, it takes the Tahoe considerably more time to stop - it takes adjustment everytime I get in it.

• 1 month later...

To bring back an old topic, while cities should not ban SUVs, most of the current SUVs need to be recalled and have their engines, gas tanks and exhaust systems redone. The engines should be redone to where they sound decent. The gas tanks need to be redone - you can't just have some 15 mpg tank sucking the life out of the SUV and the driver. They might as well redesign the models to where the tanks are 25 mpg at least or better, and to where they don't come under pressure of cargo weight. The exhaust systems need to be redone to comply with air quality. I got love for the sport utility vehicle, but you can't call it just another truck.

• 3 weeks later...

It's ridiculous, there is no *need* for such large trucks for most people. There should be a severe tax on them. They are not safe, cars can't see around, their milage is horrible..... Nothing pisses me off more than to see an American flag sticker on one of these trucks. If you cared, then you would drive something less dependent of Middle Eastern oil.

They should ban Hummer's for civilian use. what's the point?

SUV's, I feel, do cause more accidents. They block the view for little cars increasing demand for more SUVs. Roll over is very common with SUV's also.

Chicago requires all vehicles to have city stickers if the owner lives within city limits. Recently, they passed a law that increases the city sticker cost for SUVs from 75$ to 90$.

Also -- they are hoping to decrease the cost of city stickers for hybrid cars to encourage demand for hybrids.

• 1 year later...

So, now that this post is a year and a half on top of the last, we are seeing the introduction of hybrid SUVs; anybody changing their opinons?

I personally hate them, but I don't think they should be banned. The government should impose higher mileage standards and demand that by a given year that a certain percentage, if not all SUVs are hybrid.

Clearly they are valuable for some people as family movers and goods haulers, but when you see them with those big ole wheels with rubberbands for tires, you know there isn't much "utility" in SUV. In my opinion, they are mostly a nuisance, especially since a lot of people that drive them shouldn't be driving anything let alone a SUV. At least where I live, it seems that one must always be on the defensive and many SUV drivers think they own the road (or just can't see the rest of us :blink: ). I'd like to see a different class of license required to drive an SUV.

Archived