Favorite Local Restaurants

I thoguht this might be a good topic, and might give us a few new ideas on places to go.

Here are some of mine:

Fine dining: So, Brave New Restaurant, 1620

American: Buffalo Grill, Cotham's

Seafood: Cajun's Wharf, Faded Rose

Mexican: Casa Manana, La Hacienda

Chinese: Fantastic China, Hunan's

Italian - Ristorante Capeo, Bruno's

Pizza - Iriana's, Vino's, Damgoode Pies

Other: Saigon Cuisine, Star of India

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thoguht this might be a good topic, and might give us a few new ideas on places to go.

Here are some of mine:

BBQ - Smoke Shack in Maumelle

Pub - Cregeen's, despite one not so favorable review here, I love the place. Helps that they've kicked in a good deal of money for the Gaelic football team to buy jerseys and t-shirts. The Dubliner sandwich is excellent as are the bangers and mash. Probably the best bangers and mash I've ever had and that's saying a lot.

Here are some of mine:

My restaurant picks:

Acadia for fine dining

Doe's for burgers and tamales, their steaks aren't really that good

Whole Hog is the best for BBQ, much better that McClard's

Catfish, Flying Fish is pretty good but for both the fish and the atmosphere Lassis Inn is tops

Italian, for a casual room Prego and Ristorante Capeo for fine dining

Sonny Williams for steaks

I'll second Cregeen's for a pub

The only two I disagree on. Doe's has an interesting style (they'll cut a piece of meat in half and then cook it to two different temps, most wouldn't think of it). But, I think it works. I've never had a bad steak there.

Also, The only other place I can think of that I like as well as McClard's is Stubby's, which is also in Hot Springs. I didn't even know of McClards reputation the first time I went there, and I loved it.

My wife is from Hot Springs and I've eaten at both McClard's and Stubby's more times than I care to remember. My in-laws seemed to like Stubby's but I always thought McClard's was better. That said, McClards pork just doesn't taste right to me. Their beef is all right and the tamales, fries, beans are all great. But none of their food is as tasty as Whole Hog.

As for Doe's, I haven't had a steak there in several years, perhaps I'll give it another try and see if my opinion changes.

Can't believe there's no breakfast/brunch recommendations here. Three of my favorites for early in the day (and usually on the weekend) are Leo's Greek Castle in Hillcrest, Delicious Temptations in west Little Rock, and Starlite Diner in North Little Rock. Sure, there's always a Waffle House, but local-owned-and-operated spots come first for me. (That said, Bowman Road's Waffle House is a notch above other area locations, in my opinion.)

Along with its food, Fantastic China is simply a pretty place to dine. I always look forward to going there. For other Asian influences, I really enjoy Lilly's Dim Sum Then Some and Igibon out west. (Haven't been to PF Chang's, but Pei Wei is just dandy to me.)

Bar food goes beyond the norm at Grumpy's, and as a result, includes both consistently good burgers and fried grouper fillets. Mimi's Caf

I think you pretty much pointed out the reason one might disagree in saying McClard's is better in the quote. I like Whole Hog a lot better because of the sauce. I prefer vinegar based sauces much more than sweet sauces and Whole Hog has good vinegar sauce.

Arkansas is unique in the fact that our BBQ is varied because of influences from Memphis, Texass, and KC. Some places slaw is on the sammich, sometimes on the side. Some places have pork or beef or both... Wet, dry, sweet, vinegar, hot - each time you visit a different place you never know what you'll get.

That said we have bunches of great BBQ places around. Of course mediocre BBQ is still pretty good regardless.

Would that slaw be with a mayo, mustard or vinegar base? A place my family used to go to a lot in Searcy has a mustard slaw (more of a sauce, really), while another restaurant I would visit from time to time in Heber Springs has mayo and vinegar slaws.

In terms of Little Rock and BBQ, it's hard for me to not think of Mr. Mason's downtown, along with Whole Hog and Chip's farther west. Casey's on Reservoir Road was dependably good for smoked chicken before it closed. Having Burge's in the Heights around with its smoked turkey salad helps soften the blow. Shaka Smoke Lodge in the River Market turned me on to the wonders of smoked catfish (which almost doubly requires a side of slaw).

Would that slaw be with a mayo, mustard or vinegar base? A place my family used to go to a lot in Searcy has a mustard slaw (more of a sauce, really), while another restaurant I would visit from time to time in Heber Springs has mayo and vinegar slaws.

In terms of Little Rock and BBQ, it's hard for me to not think of Mr. Mason's downtown, along with Whole Hog and Chip's farther west. Casey's on Reservoir Road was dependably good for smoked chicken before it closed. Having Burge's in the Heights around with its smoked turkey salad helps soften the blow. Shaka Smoke Lodge in the River Market turned me on to the wonders of smoked catfish (which almost doubly requires a side of slaw).

• 2 weeks later...
You are right about Sim's sauce. I don't understand why they don't bottle and sell it. Unfortunately the uneven quality of the BBQ is a real turn-off. When it's good it's great but when you're served fatty meat with lots of gristle you tend to look elsewhere for your Q.

HB's off 65th Street used to have really fine BBQ. I haven't eaten there in years and am curious if it's still in business.

You are right about Sim's sauce. I don't understand why they don't bottle and sell it. Unfortunately the uneven quality of the BBQ is a real turn-off. When it's good it's great but when you're served fatty meat with lots of gristle you tend to look elsewhere for your Q.

HB's off 65th Street used to have really fine BBQ. I haven't eaten there in years and am curious if it's still in business.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
My restaurant picks:

Acadia for fine dining

Doe's for burgers and tamales, their steaks aren't really that good

Whole Hog is the best for BBQ, much better that McClard's

Catfish, Flying Fish is pretty good but for both the fish and the atmosphere Lassis Inn is tops

Italian, for a casual room Prego and Ristorante Capeo for fine dining

Sonny Williams for steaks

I'll second Cregeen's for a pub

Archived