Favorite Local Restaurants

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow...I hadn't read that. That would be disappointing. Because, let's be honest, that intersection isn't much of an improvement other than visibility, and visibility's not really a big driver for them anyway. Their foray into the River Market didn't last long several years ago, which was unfortunate. They still do have several locations around town (one at Barrow/12th street, can't recall the other locations).

• 2 months later...

Speaking of casual Italian, has anyone tried The Italian Couple on 3rd? I know it's under new ownership since the old owners left to pursue making their lemon dessert drink full time, but I've read it's still very good & casual. My wife & I haven't tried it yet but want to. Have any of you been there?

A few of my favorites (and why, as opposed to by category):

Dave's Place - Chef Dave Williams is great, he's classically trained and has been around LR for awhile. His son, Dave Jr., is a college buddy of mine. Friday nights are always interesting because the menu is different. Bring-Your-Own-Wine is the norm. The whole place is staffed by family, and Dave Jr.'s band plays most Fridays, and he has some of the best young musicians in Arkansas in his group. Also a great lunch spot during the week.

Cotham's In The City - I like most all of the daily specials, but the Thursday Fried Chicken platter is my favorite. Plus if you like Arkansas politics (and who doesn't?) it's fun to check out all the political signage. They have decent burgers, but have switched to using Ciabatta bread for the buns, which I don't personally like. But, that's just me ;)

Buffalo Grill - I prefer the Riverdale location, mostly for the atmosphere. Probably the best burgers in LR, as has been previously stated. Good chili dogs, too.

Fantastic China - Great Chinese close to where I live. A very pleasant dining experience.

Acadia - My wife & I tried this one for the first time back in September and LOVED it. It's pricey, but if you're going to spend big you might as well do it here and get your money's worth. We ate on the deck, and unless it's snowing or pouring down rain I would recommend doing the same.

Capitol Smokehouse & Grill - Formerly Mr. Mason's Pit BBQ, but I can't tell the food has changed any. My law school buddies and I meet there once a week for lunch. Always good 'que and friendly service. While Whole Hog BBQ and Chip's are probably better, I need some variety in my BBQ. I also happen to like Corky's because the service is good/quick.

Applebee's - Hear me out. The reason I list this one is because after 9pm each night, appetizers are 1/2 price an you can get $2 drafts. So, while the bar foods not as good as say Grumpy's or Creegan's, you can't beat the price.

I've lived in a lot of bigger cities and it's hard to find Chinese much better than Fantastic China. The owners are actually from Taiwan and that's why they have some unusual dishes.

Ever been out to the original Cotham's in Scott? The atmosphere of that place is great. An old general store on stilts over a cypress swamp, full of old antiques. It's unique.

Never been Dave's - where is it?

I'll just pretend you didn't mention Applebee's.

I've lived in a lot of bigger cities and it's hard to find Chinese much better than Fantastic China. The owners are actually from Taiwan and that's why they have some unusual dishes.

Ever been out to the original Cotham's in Scott? The atmosphere of that place is great. An old general store on stilts over a cypress swamp, full of old antiques. It's unique.

Never been Dave's - where is it?

I'll just pretend you didn't mention Applebee's.

• 7 months later...

Five Guys Hamburgers and Fries is opening in AR! The first location will be in Lakewood Villiage in North Little Rock. The signs went up last week. It is expected to open late September. This will be the first Five Guys in Arkansas. we plan on opening at least 7 more throughout Arkansas. Where else in the city/state do you think they should go?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/ma...franchise_N.htm

Great Burgers!

• 2 weeks later...
Five Guys Hamburgers and Fries is opening in AR! The first location will be in Lakewood Village in North Little Rock. The signs went up last week. It is expected to open late September. This will be the first Five Guys in Arkansas. we plan on opening at least 7 more throughout Arkansas. Where else in the city/state do you think they should go?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/ma...franchise_N.htm

Great Burgers!

Archived