CEO of Bank of America Named Fossil Fool of the Year

monsoon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two important points directly related to the subject, which I would like to discuss:

Regarding coal: The visual impact is obvious. However, there is a contengency which believes skyscrapers are visually damaging to the natural environment.

Regarding Global Warming: People who have yet to buy in, or be convinced of, global warming are being ridiculed in the same fashion as religious non-believers.

That is because they deserve to be ridiculed. The science behind it is indisputable, the signs of it happening are obvious, and the reasons being giving for there being no such thing are based on opinion and voodoo pseudo science. It ranks up there with the "creationists" claiming an equal footing with basic science. If people want to believe the world isn't warming up and that mankind has no ability to do something about it, then I guess there is nothing that can be done about it. But that doesn't mean these people have the right to continue with destructive activities. There was a time when people said the world was flat an that anyone sailing too far would fall off the edge of the earth.

Yes, I've had conversations with people in Boston who believe skyscrapers are a detriment to earth and our view of its natural beauty. I only mention this to highlight that there are views which seem extreme, but when taken in a comparative manner to destruction of mountains seem to highlight that anything we do or build on earth is destruction.

Sorry, but they are not comparable. Have these people been able to quantify the "environmental impact" of skyscrapers obstructing their view of the earth? The removal of mountains, the burning of coal, the emission of carbon dioxide, all have measurable quantifiable effects on the environment.

But again, what does that have to do with BofA being a bad corporate citizen? And why bring skyscrapers into the discussion at all? I can eat Habaneros, but many people think they are too spicy. Does that mean pollution doesn't exist? :huh:

The people I had the conversation with were indeed kind souls and extreme liberals. Anyways, the point of my focus is state that we must look into why the line is drawn with coal mining. Sure, on its face it seems destructive and it is worth incentivizing change. However, at what point do we stop? Everything we do is in fact destruction, when viewed from this extreme perspective. And, this perspective is the driving force for this change. The public demonstrations by RAN and the Fossil Fool award really make it hard to empathize for this cause. So, in what way do you work toward change in a positive fashion? In what way can you work toward change the coal mining companies find attractive?

The people I had the conversation with were indeed kind souls and extreme liberals. Anyways, the point of my focus is state that we must look into why the line is drawn with coal mining. Sure, on its face it seems destructive and it is worth incentivizing change. However, at what point do we stop? Everything we do is in fact destruction, when viewed from this extreme perspective. And, this perspective is the driving force for this change. The public demonstrations by RAN and the Fossil Fool award really make it hard to empathize for this cause. So, in what way do you work toward change in a positive fashion? In what way can you work toward change the coal mining companies find attractive?

How do we as consumers guide our energy demands away from cheap Coal? We have to be willing to pay much much more for energy and thus our electric bills. We have to be willing to support more Nuclear power. We have to be willing to enforce the use of more energy effecient and costlier energy-consuming products. At this point people have a problem paying for a compact flourescent bulb. Do we TAX the crap out of energy, forcing people to turn lights out when they leave a room, purchase energy efficient appliances, and run a fan instead of the A/C? Will people purchase reasonably sized 2000 sq foot homes instead of wasteful 4000 sq foot homes?

They use these techniques b/c it's cheap. It's cheap b/c we demand it to be so...

Archived