Significant tornado damage and flooding in LR metro

I don't remember schools being closed all over the area from a tornado in my lifetime. It seems like this is more tied to its path through densely populated areas and sustained course than the size of the tornado itself. The worst damage appears to be in Bryant where a mobile home park was destroyed and a nice subdivision (Hurricane Meadows) had major housing damage as well as the NLR airport, where planes were tossed around all over the place. Schools from Bryant to Cabot are closed, including a number in the northern sections of LR near Cantrell.

I-30 between Bryant and SWLR is closed due to flooding. I never remember anything like that happening around here.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im glad it wasn't a stronger tornado because with the path this thing took it could have been a LOT worse than it was. I was living in OKC when the May 3, 1999 tornado hit so I know the kind of damage these things can do. How extensive was the damage in the Heights, Cammack village, and west central Little Rock?

A good friend lives on the south side of Leawood, which is the highest point. He couldn't get out of the neighborhood due to the trees that had been blown down. Watching television this morning major damage occurred on Greenwood road in Cammack. Greenwood is one block south of W. Palisades.

I talked to a roofer this afternoon who'd been in Cammack and said Longwood had suffered significant damage. I wonder if the U of A property and the system president's house was hit.

Archived