Metro Population projections for 2030

Theflytyr

This is an interesting population projection table based on recent poulation movements scaled to the Metropolitan areas. they have Orlando projected to grow to a population between ~3.5-4.15 million people by 2030 depending on the growth scenario.

Seeing these numbers in black and white leads me to wonder if and/or when Orlando becomes large enough to support and "deserve" Pro Football and Major League Baseball. I mean if this scenario were to even come close to holding true would not our population be larger than many cities that have franchises already. I understand that many of the cities have longstanding history's of their respective sports such as Green Bay, Cincy, Pittsburgh, etc. and i would never suggest they should lose those traditional teams, it is towns such as Charlotte, Nashville, and the like that seem to get the options of these franchises. I would love to see MLB, and the NFL here but it seems as if we are somehow always viewed as a "mickey Mouse" town and not a resepectable metropolitan area.

On another note it is amazing to see the population projections for Atlanta.............I mean 10 million people!!!!

http://www.demographia.com/db-msaproj2030.pdf

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geography is major factor also. One of the problems is that we are so close to Tampa Bay that the NFL and MLB will not consider moving a major franchise here until the combined population of both areas can support 2 teams. Think San Francisco Bay, they have the 49ers and Raiders and also the Giants and A's. Same for DC-Baltimore area and of NYC and LA. Unfortunately for us, Tampa was more developed and heavily populated early on so they got the teams. Today the metro areas are comparable, if not almost identical in size but again Tampa Bay gets the history edge because the teams have already been there.

There was talk a few years ago of bringing the Bucs to a midpoint on I-4. I think Osceola county was proposing to build a NFL stadium than the city of Tampa approved Raymond James. We've also had some local investor trying to purchase the KC Royals and move them here but it didn't pan out. I think those same investors are still casually pursing bring an MLB team here. If I remember correctly, not long ago I saw a proposed rendering of the area where the current Amway Arena is, only in place of the arena was a baseball stadium. Another rumbling was, and still is, possible relocation of the Jags to Orlando. Supposedly Jax just can't quite compete with other NFL cities in bringing in fans and revenues, not for lack of popularity but for lack of population. If you've ever noticed that at Jags home games they drape a tarp over half of the upper bowl so they can claim those tickets aren't available and the game is "sold out."

Don't want to keep dragging this on, but this has always been an issue that has interested me also. The other thing to consider is that, even given my above arguments, the leagues still give deference to the whether or not the population centers are truly distinct populations. I think that's why both San Fran and Oakland have they're own set of teams. They are literally right across the water from each other but worlds apart in character. Same goes for the DC-Baltimore area. Geographically same distance as Tampa and Orlando but again two different places. Now throw in South Florida. The distance from W. Palm to Miami is same as Tampa to Orlando but I could see the leagues awarding 2 teams to Central Florida before they do the South Florida even though S. Fla may have a larger population because South Florida really is greater Miami even though Broward and Palm Beach counties are very large counties in population. That's my really long $.02 for what its worth. Thanks for bringing up the subject, I'm sure you could tell I was really enthused to talk about it.

It's like the mutual fund companies say. Past performance does not predict future results. Growth will slow here as it gets more and more expensive. We are already starting to see that.

Another thing not taken into account with the population stats is changing metro boundries. When will Volusia County finally be counted in Orlando's total. If you put Volusia County in with Orlando it's already 2.5 mil. If you add North Brevard and Northeast Polk it's close to 3.0 mil. now. Those areas are already part of the metro area whether or not its recognized by the census people.

I can't imagine sitting in the heat during the middle of summer trying to watch a 3 hour baseball game in Orlando. If anyone is serious about bringing a baseball team here, the stadium would be need to be like the Metrodome for baseball. It's the exact opposite of the winter cold in Minnesota. We could get a sponsor like Ruud. The RuuDome.

I can't imagine sitting in the heat during the middle of summer trying to watch a 3 hour baseball game in Orlando. If anyone is serious about bringing a baseball team here, the stadium would be need to be like the Metrodome for baseball. It's the exact opposite of the winter cold in Minnesota. We could get a sponsor like Ruud. The RuuDome.

Another thing not taken into account with the population stats is changing metro boundries. When will Volusia County finally be counted in Orlando's total. If you put Volusia County in with Orlando it's already 2.5 mil. If you add North Brevard and Northeast Polk it's close to 3.0 mil. now. Those areas are already part of the metro area whether or not its recognized by the census people.

lets also bear in mind land usage here in florida and orlando specifically

our government really needs to get on the ball with legislation to help curve urban sprawl, as we are currently using up land at a rather alarming and dangerous pace

I really hope we shift our efforts more towards density, and really push the issue, we cant continue to grow the way we have.

We have already caused major damage to our ecosystem here in florida, and Id really like to see a shift towards european type development......but thats just me

any thoughts?

either way, I do enjoy the sounds of us growing, and becoming a bigger and better city

you're right about sprawl.

Seminole is getting dense. the developed portion of Orange is getting dense. you can see it even on I-drive towards Premium Outlets and on 535 towards Kiss.

if they focus on the major corridors and densify them more, we'd probably see the advent of more transit proposals in the future along those corridors. maybe the CFRAIL will help that move along quicker.

lets also bear in mind land usage here in florida and orlando specifically

our government really needs to get on the ball with legislation to help curve urban sprawl, as we are currently using up land at a rather alarming and dangerous pace

I really hope we shift our efforts more towards density, and really push the issue, we cant continue to grow the way we have.

We have already caused major damage to our ecosystem here in florida, and Id really like to see a shift towards european type development......but thats just me

any thoughts?

either way, I do enjoy the sounds of us growing, and becoming a bigger and better city

I couldn't agree more. I remember in Boston being amazed at how dense and urban the cit was but than if you take a ride just a few minutes outside of the city it was as if you were looking at the same prestine natural land the pilgrims probaly saw. Granted there is urban sprawl in New England to the North and East of the city, but overall the city has grown up allowing the some of the areas around the city to remain untouched. I think this is the right path for Central Florida also. I totally agree that we should focus development on the main corridors that already exist and try to save the rest in it's natural state. It would be shame to start heavily encroaching on the St. Johns in East Orange county or take away from the Wekiwa River Basin.

Archived