Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DetroitMan

A music amphitheater may anchor Hart Plaza

10 posts in this topic

While news of the Hart Plaza makeover has been around for a few years now, the rendering in today's article is new. I have to say that the new ampitheatre shown looks nice. Unfortunately like many grand plans for Detroit money is an issue and it will probably be another decade before anything happens. Hopefully some group like the Kresge Foundation will give the city money to fund half of the plan.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...3/1017/BUSINESS

You would think the other ampitheatre would become unneeded if this one is built.

Yah, that and the one planned for the Dequinder Cut at Gratiot Avenue. Time to get a little more creative, Detroit. No more "tented" buildings and no more amphitheatres.

I wonder if they could possibly steal a few shows from Pine Knob, etc. It seems like it wouldn't work so well considering that you could probably just hang out in the park and still hear the concert...;)

I like it, although I agree that the tent designs are bit cliche, just like cable-stay bridges and airports with swooping roofs. But any replacement is good for that 'ole speakerbox on the riverfront.

Maybe if we keep adding these outdoor amplitheatres we will surpass New York in total seating for legimate theatres (we are number 2 after all).

I have never heard of the one going up at Dequinder and Gratiot, anyone here have any details/ renderings?

How would it in fit in with Eastern Market?

Thanks

I think a new signature structure there would be great. But I feel like it shouldn't be completely open air, I think it should have the ability to be closed off and used in the winter as well. I think it's silly to make something like that, that will only be used for about half of the year.

And yeah, I think it would be cool if it wasn't a tent, gehryesque, or a calatravaesque. Just something that's really good.

I wouldn't want another gehry clone, but something that is audacious would be nice.

But then again, this is a dream project that probably won't even happen for several years if it occurs at all..,

I would hate for it to be closed. The a major point of Hart Plaza is to showcase the river. I'm just not a fan of over compartmentalizing waterfront squares. Another closed structure, there, would be repeating the same mistake (i.e. Ford Auditorium)

I have never heard of the one going up at Dequinder and Gratiot, anyone here have any details/ renderings?

How would it in fit in with Eastern Market?

Thanks