WZZM Partnership

GRDadof3

How do you feel about UP-GR partnering with WZZM?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about UP-GR partnering with WZZM?

• For it
    • For it on a trial basis
    • Against it
    • Need more info
    • Other

What WZZM is proposing is that they would take an excerpt from an UrbanPlanet discussion (custom written and not just a random post IMO), post it on their website, with a logo link back to the UP discussion. Similar to the front page of UP:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/UP.Dynamic/index.php

Or what you would find on Planetizen or a myriad of other media sites:

http://www.planetizen.com/announce/item.ph...1718&rf=rss

They now have a partnership with the Business Journal that is somewhat similar.

Pros as I see them:

) More exposure for issues like transit, redevelopment, schools, green space, parking, etc..

) Provide WZZM viewers who ARE looking for a more enlightened discussion on the issues a place to go

) Give UP-GR a bigger voice in the community

) Diversity of opinions is a good thing, not a bad thing

Cons:

) More randomness, trolls, spam, rule violations, etc..

) Possible dilution of UP-GR's civil "tone"

) Pointless posts, immaturity

) More work for me (or possibly another backup moderator as I and Joe travel a lot)

Other pros, cons?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see this as a bad move. We all found this because of our passion for GR or because someone referred us to it due to our interests. This partnership will give a direct channel to everyone who goes to the WZZM website. I just think this will dilute the concentration of people who have a real passion for the topics that come up on this board. The last thing we need is tech-unsavvy anti-GR people flooding the board talking about the 'bad areas,' wanting to know when things are going to be done, how much rent is, etc etc. For goodness sake, we can talk about curtain walls for pages and that's the way it should be! :D

It's just my opinion, but I hope this doesn't happen.

I'm ok with trying it on a trial basis. Since finding UP I have really enjoyed reading and occasionally offering my two cents although that's rare. The culture on here, as it is currently, is mostly positive and very informative for those that love GR and want to know what's going on in the city. I would hate to see that culture change over time with the possible influx of those that could possibly be inflammatory or not as thoughtful with their postings. GRDad does a terrific job as the moderator and because of that makes this board a place that is comfortable and healthy overall. If the load becomes to heavy for him I would be scared to see what becomes of UP-GR.

But at the same time... out of the 200 members, there might be 10-20 people that are truely passionate and care about the topics we discuss on a daily basis here. The trolls, lurkers, etc will only stick around for so long before they lose interest and stop coming here. Only people that are truly interested are going to stick around and be a long term contributor.

It's almost like the current members have a little jewel and everyone would rather hold it close to the chest and KIAS rather than let everyone know how cool and great the UP-GR community is.

Well... I see a lot more work for the moderators in terms of monitoring abuse (of the TOS, of other members, and of the right to say something stupid). I can almost hear the old timers pleading for bans of any newbies who appear only to cause trouble.

On the other hand, for those who come here to climb on a soapbox every once in awhile, this could be the chance to climb on a bigger box and preach to more than the usual choir.

:dontknow:

There could be a happy medium in this. WZZM could send Peter Ross or other development reporters to UP as liaisons. We converse with them with our ideas of the month, for example: how to reinvigorate downtown retail. They can gather tips and story ideas from us. If its all about moving community issues forward, it shouldn't matter if we attributed to these issues-- we don't own them. Lets just get these ideas out there for public consumption. That way, the special interests members are having their issues heard. Since Urban Planet -- Grand Rapids isn't attributed in anyway the members concerned about the future character of the forum can be satisfied.

There could be a happy medium in this. WZZM could send Peter Ross or other development reporters to UP as liaisons. We converse with them with our ideas of the month, for example: how to reinvigorate downtown retail. They can gather tips and story ideas from us. If its all about moving community issues forward, it shouldn't matter if we attributed to these issues-- we don't own them. Lets just get these ideas out there for public consumption. That way, the special interests members are having their issues heard. Since Urban Planet -- Grand Rapids isn't attributed in anyway the members concerned about the future character of the forum can be satisfied.

I voted against this particular idea. My only reasoning - has anyone ever read the comments to WZZM or WOODTV stories through that Topix site? Those are the kind of comments that can really anger someone because of the amount of offensive content. Anything that gets posted on as a story starts to get all political with people finding excuses as to why everything is the governor's fault.

I come to UrbanPlanet because of the specific interests at hand, and because of the level of maturity that we have here. I think compared to the people that post on topix.net, we take issues a little bit more seriously.

Now on the other hand - I wouldn't mind the exposure either - but at the same time it's sort of like opening the gates to hell. And for the moderators - you definitely would be spending a lot more time on here or would need other people to moderate. That and you'd probably have to create extra rules for conduct to make things run more smoothly.

I think it would be a better idea to promote UrbanPlanet in a non-televised way. It should be promoted internally within the community and not to the open public. Sure we get our televised recognition once in awhile, but we don't need to be treated like rock stars in any sense (no offense).

I think that most people would agree with me in some sense and I see some have already expressed their same concerns.

I think what most people don't quite get is in order to post comments on UrbanPlanet, you must go through the process to create and authenticate an account.

In order to post on the majority of the press / media websites, all you have to do is type in some random name and post your comment.

I really wonder how many of the trolls and annoying people that lurk around those other sites would come to this one and make the effort to create and authenticate an account. There may be a few but I think it will be really limited. Plus, even with the additional exposure WZZM may give UrbanPlanet, will that many of their users really come over here? I think the problems are being over exaggerated and once the partnership is in place I doubt very much we will see a huge increase in memberships / posters...

I think what most people don't quite get is in order to post comments on UrbanPlanet, you must go through the process to create and authenticate an account.

In order to post on the majority of the press / media websites, all you have to do is type in some random name and post your comment.

I really wonder how many of the trolls and annoying people that lurk around those other sites would come to this one and make the effort to create and authenticate an account. There may be a few but I think it will be really limited. Plus, even with the additional exposure WZZM may give UrbanPlanet, will that many of their users really come over here? I think the problems are being over exaggerated and once the partnership is in place I doubt very much we will see a huge increase in memberships / posters...

I was 1 of 6 to vote "for it". I guess I just looked at the positive in that if WZZM were to obtain info from UP it would be coming from an excellent and educated source vs some of the garbage on there now. However, I certainly see the "cons" as real issues that people have pointed out.

Archived