What Does Hartford Need?

Richhamleigh, DC

If you had the power to do it, pick one thing you would do to reinvigorate Hartford  

50 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the power to do it, pick one thing you would do to reinvigorate Hartford

• Tear down and bury the freeways.
    • Merge Hartford and the surrounding cities and towns into one unit.
    • Create an alternative international airport to Boston and New York.
    • All of the above + rebuilding historic neighborhoods.
    • Other (please offer your suggestion).

Well, I'm assuming it would entail full passenger flights to places like London, Rome, and Munich. I just got back late last night from my honeymoon, and let me tell you, JFK is the biggest cluster-F going. I really pray for the day when I can catch a flight out of Hartford and go to... anywhere across the pond.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although burying the highways would be extremely expensive, something does need to be done about them. This is the reason Hartford lost ING to East Hartford, also major arterial roads (such as Farmington Avenue) need to be improved upon. One is constantly switching between lanes to dodge parked cars and left-hand turners.

Hartford should try to get high speed rail run through it. Why does Acela have to take the coastal route? I'm sure there are PLENTY of people who would be willing to pay the bucks to travel to nyc and boston, plus with all the professionals living in the hartford area, it could bring a boom to the city by bringing more traffic to the train station and spurring more urban redevelopment.

Also, I think the biggest thing that needs to be done is bring more people into the city. When I was moving here, I was looking for a place real close to work (aetna) and there's nothing around there. Hartford doesn't seem to have any cool areas to live, except for downtown. Perhaps a new urban redevelopment area, with apartments that are a little more affordable than downtown.

And the possibility of new parks? Or maybe just a running/biking trail to connect it to the burbs? Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived