Fort Lauderdale Mass Transit

Wild Style

Found out that Fort Lauderdale is in the process of rolling out a light rail system in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. Moving forward it will connect port everglades, the airport and downtown, the FEC commuter rail (also in planning) with the tri rail) and then a line that will go up and down broward. There is also regional planning between West Palm and Dade. I don't know the info on the full tri county plan yet. I have emailed the director in hopes they will give more info. I will post that when I get that info.

Any way here is the site

link

here is a page that if you scroll down shows the plans.

link

I should mention the new commuter line will run on the rail lines that you drive over on broward when you go into downtown. This thing seems to run from Miami (Kendall to Lake worth I think)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern for having transit near the water isn't merely for tourism. There are a lot of people living in high-rises near the water, so this ought to be considered. I see your point about the other areas, though. Mostly, I am pleased that something appears to be moving forward. it's certainly time that the city addressed mass transportation with something other than buses. I look forward to your news.

My concern for having transit near the water isn't merely for tourism. There are a lot of people living in high-rises near the water, so this ought to be considered. I see your point about the other areas, though. Mostly, I am pleased that something appears to be moving forward. it's certainly time that the city addressed mass transportation with something other than buses. I look forward to your news.

Questions:

1. What is Fort Lauderdale going to do as far as public awareness and re-education of the population here? By this I mean, Floridians are not accustomed to taking mass transit en mass like other cities are. So we are wondering what the city will do to first make the citizens aware of the mass transit plans (public buy in) and secondly to educate them on how to use the system once it is up and running.

2. The PDF states for revenue service to start in 2009, is that correct? If construction will not start soon wont the city be hard pressed to meet that schedule. Perhaps the map was referencing bus service or BRT service rather than LRT?

• 3 weeks later...

Good article! It is unfortunate that the use of a wheeled "trolley" bus system and a real light-rail system are even being compared at all. At least it would appear that the former is no substitute for the latter. Thi system must be built. I would like to see more information about what studies they are using for deciding where to place the lines. Using Portland, Oregon as an example sounds good on paper, but in order to attract upper-income riders, the train system will have to reach them as well. The train system can be a catalyst for urban renewal, buit it must not be seen as the only route for said goal. Do you think that the proposed routes make sense?

Archived