Did anyone see in today's (Apr 6) Courant?

Lowerdeck

In case you didn't: http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-plc...0,5864065.story

I found it very interesting. I was in Lowell about three weeks ago, my first real exploration of the place. Seems to be doing quite well. They have their small arena and ballpark. Many of the older mills are being converted to newer use. The main streets were loaded with little shops and restaurants, and while not particularly heavily trafficked on a Saturday afternoon... still doing something.

Just curious what some of you thought about Lowell and what could anywhere in Connecticut do in order to emulate some of their successes.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In case you didn't: http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-plc...0,5864065.story

I found it very interesting. I was in Lowell about three weeks ago, my first real exploration of the place. Seems to be doing quite well. They have their small arena and ballpark. Many of the older mills are being converted to newer use. The main streets were loaded with little shops and restaurants, and while not particularly heavily trafficked on a Saturday afternoon... still doing something.

Just curious what some of you thought about Lowell and what could anywhere in Connecticut do in order to emulate some of their successes.

I saw it but did not read it. I might get to that this evening.

I used to have a roomate from Lowell and I am afraid that he tarnished my image of that town. Well, him, and the BHO series Anerica Undercover "High on crack street" Lowell MA I and II

I would like to check it out some day when its all cleaned up because I only ever knew of it as a sewer. He was arested for being involved in a B/E robbery. last I heard of him he was facing 15 years in the mass penn. Funny guy though.

Don't get me wrong. Many parts of Lowell still aren't pretty to look at, and there's probably neighborhoods I wouldn't venture into at night. But at least progress is being made to change the situation. Downtown is having some vibrance, instead of being a dead run down shell of an era long gone.

Archived