21 members have voted

1. 1. Where would rather hang your hat?

• Portland
    • Portsmouth

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Portsmouth is too small for me. I like to visit both cities but I think I would rather live in Portland. It's bigger and more interesting, yet further from any real big cities, which is the only reason I can see for living in either city.

• 6 months later...

Portsmouth is wonderful, its a great city much better than Portland in my opinion, but ufortunately its downtown has not witnessed major groth in well over a hundred years it could of been one of New englands major players however it chose not to be, Portsmouth chose not to grow, right now it is almost immpossible to live in (taxes) it has turned into a major yuppie city, if only they could make it into a large city and still keep its unmatched new england atomosphere, its the best city in NH.

I almost lived in Portsmouth but found it was impossible to do so. The rents are damn near as high as Boston, and I was looking at Portsmouth as an alternative to Boston. I could have lived in Dover or Stratham or Exeter, but why, I wanted to live in Portsmouth. Soooo I ended up in Providence. :)

I picked Portsmouth because it is closer to home which is rather unfair. If I had to live in one, I assume I would be able to visit my family in Boston and Portsmouth would be easier.

All things equal I like both cities the same for different reasons. New England would be much lesser without them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suffer? if anything it prospers its the first major New hampshire city you enter on 95, there are numerous famous resteraunts in Portsmouth, there are no cities in new england besides boston that are more Historic, the birth of old iron and the John Paul jones house, the Frank Jones Brewery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love living in Portland, big enough to have a good cultural scene, but I can also get around by walking too. Players Ring in Portsmouth is ok, but doesn't quiet compare to Mad Horse.

For those concerned with the high property, hotel and restraunt taxes in Portsmouth, help is on its way. Senator Ethan Strimling is going to introduce a bill annexing Portsmouth to Maine. I belive he found an old map somewere...

To be fair, I'm sure there is an equal amount of people who live in Maine who don't like Portsmouth. I would be in favor of maine taking Portsmouth if they threw in the shopping in Newington.

And yes, I am aware that such a thing will not happen.

Portsmouth is still an excellent town in my book.

And why would Portsmouth want to be part of maine? so they could taxed on there income? about half my family lives in Portsmouth, i dont know if you know this but most people in Portsmouth Dont like Maine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a joke, to get revenge on all those times New Hampshire has tried to steal the shipyard away from Maine. Strimling pointed out that Maine's restraunt, lodging and gas tax are lower than New Hampshire's, so those dependent on the tourist industry would actually save money, but his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.

Actually when you think of it, People in New Hampshire spend as much on property taxes as Mainer's do on income tax. Six of one half dozen of the other.

For the record I do oppose the State of Maine putting trying to get income tax out of the spouses of Shipyard employees who don't actually work in Maine. That was wrong.

It was a joke, to get revenge on all those times New Hampshire has tried to steal the shipyard away from Maine.  Strimling pointed out that Maine's restraunt, lodging and gas tax are lower than New Hampshire's, so those dependent on the tourist industry would actually save money, but his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.

Actually when you think of it, People in New Hampshire spend as much on property taxes as Mainer's do on income tax.  Six of one half dozen of the other.

For the record I do oppose the State of Maine putting trying to get income tax out of the spouses of Shipyard employees who don't actually work in Maine.  That was wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steal? the shipyard belongs in New Hampshire, after all its called the Portsmouth Naval shipyard not the kittery Naval shipyard.

And how many of the island's three bridges connect it to the NH side of the river?

I ask merely for information.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if the shipyard was New hampshire, it would have to be connected to maine, there is no way a bridge is comming all the way across the river, and its not like maine ever gets Maine any pride from the shipyard, Kittery likes to think they have a rich Naval history, they dont, Kittery is pretty much just Portsmouths New Jersey.

Archived