Companies that we would like to see downtown

Yankee Fan

We talk a lot about the types of businesses that we would like to see downtown. With that in mind, I started to think about the actual companies and businesses that I would like to see downtown. Here is my list:

1. Walgreens/ CVS/ Riteaid. I would pretty much take any one of the three, as long as it is located in the core.

2. Sprint/Alltel/etc. I am not talking about a strip mall type store but an actual store for cell phones. Every other city that I have been to has one of these. Just seems like we would have one, too.

3. Pietros. I realize that they have closed their place out in Holland. But I think that they could make a go of it in downtown GR. Put them on the corner of Ottawa and Monroe in the old shoe store.

4. D&W. Maybe a food mart of some sorts.

5. Craig's Cruisers. Maybe just the arcade and party rooms.

6. ESPN SportsZone or a Vitales. I really cannot think of one bar downtown that I would consider a sports bar. No, the bar in the AGP does not count for me.

7. PotteryBarn. Just because I like this store and, with all of the higher end condos coming on line soon, this would be a store that would seem to be quite useful for these folks as they decorate their new homes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Crate and Barrel

2. Walgreens

3. Casual clothing store, i.e., a place to buy blue jeans and sneakers and, yes, undies. (Lots of possibilities for this.)

4. Linens-n-Things or Bed Bath & Beyond (probably not enough residential yet to support this, but we're getting there)

5. Village Bike Shop

6. An "I Love Grand Rapids" tourist shop on Monroe near the convention center

Electronics

1. Apple

2. Best Buy

3. Circuit City

Furniture

1. Crate and Barrel/CB2

2. Pottery Barn

3. Art Van (why aren't they downtown?)

Pharmacy/Grocery

1. Whole Foods

2. Meijer

3. Walgreens/CVS

Restaurant/Food

1. Bennigans

2. Panera Bread

3. Dairy Queen

Entertainment

1. Movie Theater

2. Indoor Rollerskating Arena

3. Arcade/Laser Tag room

Clothing/Apparel

1. Urban Outfitters

2. Gap

3. JcPenney

Misc

- Shoe Store

- Music Store (Instruments, etc)

- Sushi Bar

- Indoor Water Park

- Farmers Market

- Boat/Canoe Rentals

- Fishing Store

I really would like to see:

1. CVS (on Monroe Center and Ottawa Ave.)

2. BW3s (in place of Drink on Monroe Center and Ionia)

3. Mini-Kroger or Meijer (anywhere!) - or, better yet, a Martha's Vineyard downtown location!!! Grand Central Market needs to get its act together, they have very few items you need to pick up in lieu of going to a grocery store- comfort foods and last-minute items such as baking ingredients, brownie mix, cake mix and frosting (with birthday candles!), hummus and pita bread, normal bread and *frozen pizzas*.

4. Gap/JCrew/generic clothing store but not Old Navy (old City Market spot)

5. Video store (on Monroe Center somewhere- either between West Coast Coffee and Jadestone or, better yet, on the other corner of Monroe Center and Ottawa Ave.)

6. Bike shop (would be perfect either between West Coast Coffee and Jadestone or old City Market spot)- excellent idea about the rentals & maps!!!

:) Since it's a pipe dream I thought I'd pick locations, too! Since I moved downtown I've needed all of these more than once.

Oh definitely - a PetSmart or even a ma/pa pet store shop would do wonders downtown - I wonder if there's any survey of how many people in the downtown area own pets - I'm sure it's a lot.

(Happy 500th post to me :yahoo: )

Kind of interesting considering there was talk about a year or two ago that Meijer was going to be aquired by Tesco. I believe it has since fallen through as Tesco decided to "go it on their own" in the US market.

That being said, apparently, these Tesco stores are not doing as well as they expected and they have halted new construction in the US. This was in the news yesterday.

Kind of interesting considering there was talk about a year or two ago that Meijer was going to be aquired by Tesco. I believe it has since fallen through as Tesco decided to "go it on their own" in the US market.

That being said, apparently, these Tesco stores are not doing as well as they expected and they have halted new construction in the US. This was in the news yesterday.

Walgreens / Rite Aid / CVS

Buffalo Wild Wings - Resteraunt & Sports Bar, Always busy at other locations

FYE (Or other equivalent entertainment store)

Small Meijers.

Now that I look at it, Buffalo Wild Wings would do really well downtown I think...

Downtown Portland has a really nice BW3's and its busy during the times I've been there (weekends). Although my preferred restaurant/bar choice to be downtown would be Uccello's. They've got excellent late night deals on their pizza/breadsticks. Yum!

Archived