Best daytrips from Little Rock

It seemed like a good idea for a topic.

The obvious ones to me are the Buffalo River, Hot Springs, Heber Springs/Greers Ferry and Petit Jean Mountain.

A fun short trip to me is to hit up Keo and Scott, eat at Cotham's in Scott or Charlotte's in Keo, go looking for antiques at Morris Antiques in Keo and go check out the Toltec Mounds.

I'm always looking for good ideas, so let's hear them.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Highway 165 corridor including Scott and Keo is a favorite of mine, too. (I have a particular weakness for caramel pie at Charlotte's!) But great trips are possible in any direction from Little Rock, thankfully. Great shopping at antique and flea markets can be found along Highway 65 from Conway north to Clinton and beyond. Or detour northeast of Greenbrier, and head for Woolly Hollow State Park for swimming, boating or hiking. By summer and through early fall, Cadron Crest Orchard is also close and has peaches and apples in season ready for picking.

Even farther north, music and crafts are fun things to seek out from Marshall and Leslie (stop there for bread from Serenity Farm Bakery!) eastward to Mountain View. A trip to the Ozark Folk Center alone, when in Mountain View, can fill a day, but listening to musicians along the courthouse square downtown has been a part of many trips there for me.

Highway 10 west from Little Rock through Perryville is prime Sunday drive territory and goes into two sections of the Ozark National Forest, offering a nice diversion for nature enthusiasts. The same can be said for Pinnacle Mountain State Park, closer to the city, which is so nearby it's easy to take for granted.

To the southeast in Pine Bluff, the railroad and band museums are interesting and unique attractions worth a drive down Interstate 530. Take the trip on Saturday, and on the way back you can always come back through Keo on Highway 165 that evening early for catfish and chicken at Charlotte's, or a hubcap burger at Cotham's in Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived