Insider's Guide to Downtown Living

cbc1908

I'm putting together some collateral materials on downtown living and need a little help. Everyone knows the main dining and entertainment attractions in downtown Greenville - The Peace Center, Soby's, et. al. are all great, but I'm looking for less "tourist-y" attractions and activities - something you wouldn't find in the CVB guide. Anyone have any tips on cool downtown stuff that tends to get overlooked? Any tips you may have will be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm. Lets see,

There is a music Bar located near the Life is good store on Agusta Rd. thats a great place to go that not a lot of people know about. It's called Smiley's Acoustic Cafe. They have piano, blues, jazz, etc.

Shakespear in the park during the summer isn't really advertised too much.

North Hampton Wine bar is a bit off the beaten path.

West End spa

Should be able to come up with some more, but thats it for now.

I'm putting together some collateral materials on downtown living and need a little help. Everyone knows the main dining and entertainment attractions in downtown Greenville - The Peace Center, Soby's, et. al. are all great, but I'm looking for less "tourist-y" attractions and activities - something you wouldn't find in the CVB guide. Anyone have any tips on cool downtown stuff that tends to get overlooked? Any tips you may have will be greatly appreciated!

You can't leave off Rosalinda's on Pleasantburg and Word of Mouth on Augusta (shhhhh). I also think that Two Chefs should be included also, although not quite so off the beaten path. Maybe the Cazbah for that matter. I'm ready to hear of some good Happy Hours now :-)

You can't leave off Rosalinda's on Pleasantburg and Word of Mouth on Augusta (shhhhh). I also think that Two Chefs should be included also, although not quite so off the beaten path. Maybe the Cazbah for that matter. I'm ready to hear of some good Happy Hours now :-)

How about Springwood and Richland Cemeteries?

There are also lots of fascinating old church buildings around downtown.

Would Sirrine Stadium be considered an overlooked attraction?

I personally enjoy strolling along some of the historic districts such as; Hampton Avenue, Earl Street, and Pettigru Street. Whitehall is definitely an often overlooked landmark in Greenville, as is the Frank Lloyd Wright home.

West Greenville's small arts village studios are not as well known as most of the ones in the CBD.

This isn't a place or a thing but it's kind of a downtown-residents secret:

Get out on Main Street and in Falls Park in the early morning. It's fabulous. It's quiet, shopkeepers are setting up, people are walking dogs and joggers are out. And of course, that time of the day is just gorgeous here. (Sunday mornings are particularly great...when everyone's in church!) :P I love the buzz of downtown at lunchtime and in the evenings, but I bet most people have no idea how fabulous it is before Greenville's really "open for business." It feels more like a neighborhood and less like a destination -- which is nice sometimes.

Also, I love the bells hanging from the tree at the corner of Main & McBee!

How about Springwood and Richland Cemeteries?

There are also lots of fascinating old church buildings around downtown.

Would Sirrine Stadium be considered an overlooked attraction?

I personally enjoy strolling along some of the historic districts such as; Hampton Avenue, Earl Street, and Pettigru Street. Whitehall is definitely an often overlooked landmark in Greenville, as is the Frank Lloyd Wright home.

West Greenville's small arts village studios are not as well known as most of the ones in the CBD.

A few I would add:

Forget crowded Falls Park and visit North Main Rotary Park. Small, cute, and a great view of the downtown skyline (Landmark Building, etc) looming above when you are on the trails. The park is never very busy.

Spend an afternoon with a good book or a good friend chatting in the Sue Simpson Garden. Great view overlooking downtown. Just a block or two away from Liberty Bridge.

Someone said Northhampton Wines. I second that. Sign up for opne of their tasting events. Or just spend a couple of hours browsing and chatting with the guys. You'll learn alot about wine!

The outdoor, second level deck at Oysters on the West End.

I'll be honest... I can't understand how someone would feel that Greenville is "crowded" in any place. Yes there are events that get very crowded on Main Street, but I don't understand why we would ever need or want to tell newcomers (people who don't know anything about this city yet) to avoid the "main attractions" in downtown. In my opinion, downtown Greenville is very compact and easily accessible and all elements together make it a great place to live. Without the many great public spaces and free places we enjoy everyday, this city would need the kind of help such a guide would offer.

What I am putting together is not a general guide - it wil lbe part of a collateral piece for a residential development. It's not meant to discourage the well known things, it's to promote a downtown lifestyle that's even richer than you might realize if you're on the outside looking in.

Archived