Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Voice of Reason

What are your favorite places to eat

25 posts in this topic

What are your favorite places to eat in all of greater Hartford. Heck you can include places all the way up to Northampton or as far south as Middletown and Meriden.

I live in Manchester, and my wife and I both really like Sukothai on main street. its a nice walk from our place and you just cant beat Thai food for the cost/quality ratio.

I highly suggest ordering the Satay Chicken as a starter. I have never had it any better anywhere else ever.

As a main I really like the Drunken Noodles, or any of the beef curry dishes. My wife loves their soups and the crispy chicken Pad Thai

Another place we really like in Manchester is Pepe's Restaurant & Lounge at 300 middle turnpike. not to be confused with Frank Pepes from New Haven.

This place makes killer wings. I like the Horseradish and the hot wings. the burgers and such are also very good and they have a lot of good beers on tap.

I have never sat in the resturant, just the bar. the bar is the perfect place to go for wings and a beer.

Willimantic Brewery in the old post office is also a good place to go. I love the building. it adds to the experience. This is the place to go for chicken Nachos and beer.

Peppercorns on Main street Hartford is exceptional. I can't imagine anything being sub par. The prices are even pretty damn good. I think we spent under 100 bucks for 2 including apps, mains, drinks, desert, valet and tips.

Bricco in W.Hartford is another exceptional Itallian place in the region. I think I like peppercorns slightly better food wise, but definately prefer peppercorns as far as comfort of space. I have only been to Bricco once, but will definately return.

Pettibones Restaurant in Simsbury. MMMMMM Steak. Awsome building too. its haunted.... WOOOOOOOO

Tappas downtown is nice

Koji is also very nice.

I have had great lunches at Agave and The Green Papaya as well.

Clearly I have a lot more places I need to try. Also I have eaten at a lot of places I didnt think were anything secial. Not bad, just not special (Dish and TK come to mind)

Ad I will add that City Steam is my favorite place to grab a Beer some Nachos and good comedy

Downtown: Spris

Max Downtown

Mayor Mike's

Masala

Hot Tomato's

South End: Carbone's

West End: Braza

West Hartford:

Elbow Room

Harry's Pizza

I agree, Willimantic Brewing Company is good. Great atmosphere, decent food and great beer.

I love eating at Black Eyed Sally's, and love it more when there is a good live band.

Spris

Peppercorn's

Bricco

Max Oyster Bar

I know, I know. I don't leave Hartford that often...

Black Eyed Sallys was great!

Our ribs seemed a little dry, but I think that because we might have been there at a bad time of day and they were having some technical difficultys with a freezer dying on them.

But the cat fish pulled pork, gumbo etc were all very good. The key thing however is the atmosphere. Just a great place to be. The wife and I will be going back but next time we will go later and plan to stay for the live music.

This place has the 2nd best feel of any place I have been in Hartford. The Russell is still the champ for me, but that might have to do with timing.

I like the grinders at Lena's, simple and fresh.

Morton's is the best steak in town, but thats nothing to be ashamed of, it's the best steak in a lot of towns including some major cities.

Since you mentioned Northampton, Spoletos up there is great. The Cookhouse in East Hartford has great ribs. Mortons. Kojis, Simmer, Maxamia, Dakotas, Outback and as I am fortunate to have a great wife, home. By the way, my wife has celiac and places like Outback that have gluten free menus are appreciated...

I'm a fan of Coyote Flaco on New Britain Ave. in Hartford, as well as India Oven on Park Road in WH.

I used to like India Oven but you gotta try Masala. The food rocks.

There is also a hole in the wall Italian place called Terra Mia on Pratt that is really excellent.

The Pizza Hut in Target is fantastic....there's just something about eating that food inside a superstore.

Just kidding. I love the Chowder Pot, which I guess technically is a chain. My favorite independent restaurant is Yanni's in Newington.

The Pizza Hut in Target is fantastic....there's just something about eating that food inside a superstore.

Just kidding. I love the Chowder Pot, which I guess technically is a chain. My favorite independent restaurant is Yanni's in Newington.

I was going to say Texas Roadhouse, but didn't want to ruffle the same feathers twice.

In Channell 3's blog, I thought the Starbuck's response to Hartford was kinda lame.

that sucks. the wife was interested in trying that place out. I wonder if the new fish place in Glastonbuy hurt it.

Too bad about Sally's. Great location. The few times I was there, I was not impressed by the food. It was just OK. Pastis was much better.

The next person to occupy that location should think about opening it up more....those windows should open, since there is no room for outdoor dining. The folks in that area should approach the city about widening the sidewalks on Allyn Street. Parking is banned on one side anyway.

Downtown needs a seafood restaurant, one that is clearly seafood. This is New England and conventioneers and visitors expect to see one. It also needs a 7 day a week diner, along the lines of an AC Petersen. Something where you can get quick good reasonably priced food.

Too bad about Sally's. Great location. The few times I was there, I was not impressed by the food. It was just OK. Pastis was much better.

The next person to occupy that location should think about opening it up more....those windows should open, since there is no room for outdoor dining. The folks in that area should approach the city about widening the sidewalks on Allyn Street. Parking is banned on one side anyway.

Downtown needs a seafood restaurant, one that is clearly seafood. This is New England and conventioneers and visitors expect to see one. It also needs a 7 day a week diner, along the lines of an AC Petersen. Something where you can get quick good reasonably priced food.

I posted on chowhounds.com that Sally's closed and was told by someone else there that it did not close and that this is just a rumor. I just called Sally's and while no one answered, the message on their answering machine did not say they were closed. It said to just leave a message. This seems a bit odd for the middle of the afternoon but then again this is a bit of an odd restaurant. Jay

Has anyone eaten at Dolce (sp?) in Trumbull on the Park yet? I walk by it everyday on my way to and from work and it looks to be really nice inside. I am going to have to get over there for happy hour one of these days.

Our favorite Hartford area restaurants are Szechuan Tokyo in West Hartford and Pho Boston on Shield St also in WH. Szechuan Tokyo has really good cheap Bento boxes and authentic chinese food you don't find anywhere else (you have to ask for the Chinese menu). Pho Boston is one of the best Pho places in the state, it's a big place and it's always full because of the asian grocery nearby which we go to every other week.

Has anyone eaten at Dolce (sp?) in Trumbull on the Park yet? I walk by it everyday on my way to and from work and it looks to be really nice inside. I am going to have to get over there for happy hour one of these days.

I've eaten there twice. Good Portuguese food. And the design of the space is excellent... very Miami.