Developer proposes office tower near Lake Eola

sunshine

Tough crowd. I think it's a pretty good addition to the park. Inclusion of the road could be a boon to the farmer's market.

I saw the picture of the lightpost in the middle of the field. My reaction was "Good." I hate dark city parks. They're spooky and they feel unsafe.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see the brick stay and turned into a pedestrian way.  This also provides an opportunity to build a grand entrance to the park, one that currently does not exist.

The lone lampost would not look so isolated if it were surrounded by flora.  It is a bit absurd as it stands.

I'd like to see the brick stay and turned into a pedestrian way.  This also provides an opportunity to build a grand entrance to the park, one that currently does not exist.

The lone lampost would not look so isolated if it were surrounded by flora.  It is a bit absurd as it stands.

That's what I was thinking...surround it with a raised brick planter and some shrubs and it would look better. Was that an existing lamppost or a new one?

As for the brick entrance, my issue is only with the curb. IMO it should be level with the park like the other park entrance just north of there.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates from the Lake Eola FB site:

"Tomorrow we begin renovation of the Amphitheater as well, a roofing company is working on the repairs, and then painting and repairing of the lights on the back of the Amphitheater will take place over the next month."

"Just FYI, the NE corner of the Park across from Panera is going under renovation to create an improved entrance into the park, part of this renovation is creating a plaza entrance right on the corner of Robinson St. and Eola Drive. Construction began today and there will be fencing around the site so you can watch the project come along."

Good to see Buddy and Company spreading the love at Eola! I was thinking back about it, and in the modern era, only Carl Langford neglected to make meaningful additions to the park. Of course, that was generally true of Carl's approach to governing...

• 2 months later...

I think Lake Eola is too busy. And too much swans....there are poops everywhere...

Having your marquee green space in the heart of your downtown"too busy" might be the best problem a city planner could have. That being said, it has felt more crowded the past few weeks. Probably due to the weather being a little less oppressive. Several sections of sidewalks are also closed because of the See Art Orlando installations.

Sunshine's comment raises an interesting question: When does a part reach capacity? How many people can Lake Eola park service? What other enhancements can be made to better the park? (I'd get rid of the bench seating on the northeast corner of the park and turn that into open space.)

(I'd get rid of the bench seating on the northeast corner of the park and turn that into open space.)

That is a popular area for wedding rentals and creates nice photo opportunities around the ponds and fountains.  It also keeps some of the homeless off the main sidewalks paths.

When they did the major redo of the park back in the 80's, they tried to move a lot of the events over to newly-designated Constitution Green and Orlando Festival Park. There was a major brouhaha by one of the Hispanic festivals they tried to move and the city got burned by the usual pc complaints (they were actually trying to let the park "rest" a little more, so it wouldn't constantly have that "worn out" look - Central Park in Manhattan was trying the same thing at that point). As a result, the idea was pretty much abandoned. The downtown population, of course, has exploded since then so it's only gotten worse. Unless the city is willing to invest more money in further expansion (purchasing the empty lot between Bel Fontaine and Lowndes, Drosdick, for example), at some point they are going to have to redirect many of the organized events somewhere else like Loch Haven Park in order to keep the park from totally being overwhelmed.

When they did the major redo of the park back in the 80's, they tried to move a lot of the events over to newly-designated Constitution Green and Orlando Festival Park. There was a major brouhaha by one of the Hispanic festivals they tried to move and the city got burned by the usual pc complaints (they were actually trying to let the park "rest" a little more, so it wouldn't constantly have that "worn out" look - Central Park in Manhattan was trying the same thing at that point). As a result, the idea was pretty much abandoned. The downtown population, of course, has exploded since then so it's only gotten worse. Unless the city is willing to invest more money in further expansion (purchasing the empty lot between Bel Fontaine and Lowndes, Drosdick, for example), at some point they are going to have to redirect many of the organized events somewhere else like Loch Haven Park in order to keep the park from totally being overwhelmed.

Interesting. Just from my personal observation (from driving or running by), Festival Park seems to be a little busier these days (the nearby skate park and beach volley ball areas have always been hopping). It's also going to be home to the first annual Bacon Festival, which I'm sure will draw a crowd.

Interesting. Just from my personal observation (from driving or running by), Festival Park seems to be a little busier these days (the nearby skate park and beach volley ball areas have always been hopping). It's also going to be home to the first annual Bacon Festival, which I'm sure will draw a crowd.

mmmmmm, BACON

Archived