need a tour guide

Hi there,

I'm thinking about moving to Grand Rapids and am flying in from Portland, Oregon for a quick visit 4/30-5/5. I am originally from Wisconsin and am thinking about returning to my midwestern roots to be closer to family. I've lived in Portland for 15 years and there is a lot I love about it---arts/culture, progressive thought, alternative healthcare opps, amazing natural beauty....all of which I've heard GR has to offer--at least to some extent.

I am interested in going out for coffee/tea, lunch or dinner and maybe being given a little tour of what GR has to offer (along the lines of some of the things I listed above). I originally posted this on Craigslist in the "Women Seeking Men" section and someone recommended this sight as a "safer" alternative. This doesn't have to be a romantic date kind of thing necessarily. Mostly, I want to get a sense of whether or not GR is a good fit for me and thought it would be fun to do this by spending some time with the locals. :)

A little bit about me: I am an artist of all kinds, musician, and Ayurvedic cook---and enjoy laughing, sharing deep conversation as well as silly stories over a drink, eating all kinds of ethnic foods, going to art museums, theatre, listening to live local music, dancing, hiking, taking long walks. I also have a spiritual side which looks like doing yoga, meditating, taking a quiet walk/hike in nature, and reading inspirational books like Eckhart Tolle's "Power of Now" or Marianne Williamson's "A Return To Love".

It would be nice to spend time with folks who are open-minded, adventurous (but not to the point of extreme), fun-loving, kind, progressive, have a sense of the politics of GR, have a spiritual side, and like to talk and listen (in equal proportions), and have an interest in playing "tour guide" for an evening or afternoon, I would be interested in hearing from you.

Let's play!

(This is my first time posting on a discussion forum so not sure how to attach a photo, but I do have a few if you're interested).

thanks! and be well,

Margaret

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to UP, 'bird! I tried to PM you, but since this is your first post...

When I was reconning GR, in anticipation/confirmation of my big move, I tied my visits to special events. That was before teh internets was invented. Good thinking!

Check the event listings on GRNow.com for a whole slew of fun things already scheduled. And you are hereby invited to my Tulip Time Dutch Trade Fair gig on May 3 (in Holland), aka a contra dance.

Archived