Constitution Plaza

Lowerdeck

I notice quite a few people here don't like the place and want to see the site torn down and replaced with something else.

In the meanwhile, I just noticed that Tiesto (a world famous DJ) is having another world tour and one of the stops will again be in Hartford at Constitution Plaza. I was at the one last September, and it was good times. This is quite big for Hartford considering these dates were between Hartford and Boston as to which city would get the tour stop.

Anyway, my question is... approximately how often do big events get held out in the plaza? If the buildings themselves aren't good use for the downtown area... what else can be done with the area to maximize its potential?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since its outside and in New England its uses are limited, but I think it could be treated as a old town green like most new england towns have.

The riverwalk is nicer than constitution plaza, and I belive the riverwalk will become much larger once the science center opens. So the plaza is less suited for events like the celtic festival that I so enjoy.

I think that if the plaza has some redevelopment there will be no more plaza and thats fine with me, but that area will be more lively when the hotel, broadcast house, and the 3 low/midrise buildings are actually redeveloped and filled with people living, working, and visiting.

I notice quite a few people here don't like the place and want to see the site torn down and replaced with something else.

In the meanwhile, I just noticed that Tiesto (a world famous DJ) is having another world tour and one of the stops will again be in Hartford at Constitution Plaza. I was at the one last September, and it was good times. This is quite big for Hartford considering these dates were between Hartford and Boston as to which city would get the tour stop.

Anyway, my question is... approximately how often do big events get held out in the plaza? If the buildings themselves aren't good use for the downtown area... what else can be done with the area to maximize its potential?

For the record, what is done is done. What should happen is they should commandeer it and create a college. Add some stores and such, and make use of it in it's current state. The best use would be to get people that will use the plaza to it's fullest for the longest amount of time.

Room 960 has been doing a few outdoor DJ type events each summer on the Plaza that are always a good time.

The Taste of Hartford is there every summer and so is the Festival of Lights every winter.

Other than that, I can't really think of any thing else. The Plaza IMO is underutilized. Its an award winning space that should use its "pedestrian only" design more. There should be a couple more restaurants around the fountain and a cafe or coffee shop. Dining outside at Spris with friends in the summer is one of my favorite things to do.

Its a beautiful space that needs to be used more.

Agreed!

My wife told me that tase was really cool and a good time up on the plaza and I was kind of looking forward to seeing it. sadly it does not exist as I was told. basicly its just a prix fix meal offering at a dozen or so places downtown.

anyhoo

Hartford could use another half dozen events that bring people downtown like St. Pattys day did. or even as much as this weekend was busy.

I think that we will see the broadcast house and the old hotel substantially redeveloped within five years. The issue is what, if anything, can be done to help integrate the raised plaza into the city better. Unless someone can come up with a novel solution to this problem, I really don't see much changing with the plaza. Its a nice space, no question, but it is too removed from the city as currently situated.

I think that we will see the broadcast house and the old hotel substantially redeveloped within five years. The issue is what, if anything, can be done to help integrate the raised plaza into the city better. Unless someone can come up with a novel solution to this problem, I really don't see much changing with the plaza. Its a nice space, no question, but it is too removed from the city as currently situated.

I would love to see Uconn use all of 100 CP for classes, and build an urban dormitory where one of the mid rise buildings are.

The Hotel and Broadcast house I would still really like to see developed into housing and a hotel. But there is plenty of room there for education. Besides if it came down to it, there is still a ton of room in the CCC building. I however do not see the phoenix companies moving out of their famous building. not even for UCONN school of architecture.

I really think the first step would be moving more business and urban studies type programs downtown first. most importantly though funding for adding a dorm. Ideally something like Boston University is building right now.

SVII.jpg

http://www.bu.edu/president/planning/

The second phase of the John Hancock Student Village project represents a significant step towards the University

• 1 year later...

An enclosure is being constructed along the underside of the Link across the Plaza Building Deck. Over the past several years, the brick pavers and asphalt patches have suffered extensive deterioration.

The Plaza Deck was installed in 1970, in conjunction with the construction of the Plaza Building. While maintenance and repair efforts have been diligently performed, the Plaza Deck is now more than 40 years old and has reached the end of its useful life.

Construction activities to replace the Plaza Deck will be taking place through the next several months and are scheduled to be completed this Fall. During this time, pedestrian traffic on the Plaza Deck will be limited and signage will be placed around the complex in order to assist employees and visitors with alternate routes.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived