There's no hope for Detroit when....

wolverine

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.... Are you serious?!?!?!

Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers told Council President Kenneth V. Cockrel, "You're not my daddy," and repeatedly referred to him as "Shrek," an apparent reference to the bald, green ogre of the movies.

It's obvious that there are many sources/causes for whatever it is that maligns the city, but increasingly I'm am convinced that the single greatest barrier to progress in Detroit is its own leadership.

Frequently we get convinced that the system is inherently unchangeable and that the only way to change things it to tack-on small temporary fixes. Maybe it's time for a complete overhaul; maybe as start residents might consider a ward system, I don't know.

The System is Down!

She's still trash though, whatever color she is. Incompetence illustrated in a dictionary and on youtube. This incident has gotten exposure all over the country and helps people understand why Detroit sucks despite what I say. This is real and is why people won't invest themselves or their families here, because people like Monica Conyers (suppose to be an educated leader) brings the street to life from her home to her neighborhood to her professional career. Is everyone like that in Detroit. You can just threaten people with a gun whenever the f*** you want and it's acceptable? I guess it's better to stay away than to find out the hard way. If she's Detroit ghetto trash, it makes you wonder what the rest of the city is like if you're not from here.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0383/1409/METRO

Check this out. Some schoolchildren question Conyers on her behavior. Basically, an 8th grader asks if it was really appropriate, as an adult, for Conyers to call the president a name. Could this be offensive, could this have jeopardized her job? Basically, Conyers is rude in her reply, stating there was nothing wrong with what she did, and asks the 8th grader if she ever called anyone names. The 8th grader replies.... yes, but you are an adult and held to higher standards. Monica basically says she doesn't want argue.

Amazing how children can be much more mature than city leaders.

On the positive side, it looks like those kids have their heads on straight. It could have been Conyers arguing with 10 Conyers juniors. :)

But really, it's sad to see so many people like her in the city when there are so many people working hard and doing good things, and so many people who just want to live their normal lives in a functional Detroit.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the major news today about the plan to oust the mayor, here is something else that was voted on by the council.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...D=2008805130427

First off as someone who now works for a non-profit which builds affordable housing this is terrible news. Second off, as someone who wants to see the City of Detroit cleaned up and nice again this is worst news. I get the impression that the idiots running the city would rather see it rot rather than allow someone to come in take out the trash and rebuild!

MORONS

Archived