Innovista

Spartan

On 2/21/2017 at 9:56 AM, TKJones said:

My thoughts exactly after having walked through, unfortunately. It's definitely a nice redevelopment, don't get me wrong, but the whole thing just seems way too non-functional to justify taking up nearly an entire city block. If they wanted it to feel like a small park like the article says, then why not just build one of those instead of planting some small trees and a few hundred square feet of sod in the middle of a big stone parking lot? Also, what's with the giant slabs just sitting there? Am I missing something on this one?

Tend to agree wth this, though a pocket park in that sort of high foot traffic area might not be feasible.  

I think maybe as the canopy fills in, it might look nicer.  

• 2 weeks later...

Jittery Joe's coffee (beneath 650 lincoln apt) has closed down. Nothing devastating, but you would have hoped USC's first attempt at modern mixed-use could have been more popular. Two of the five retail spots are now currently unoccupied over a year later.

It'll take awhile for this area to mature. It's still off the beaten path. A few years from now once the other parking lots have been developed and there's more of a residential base directly adjacent... these units wont be empty. 

Edited by wwmiv

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 9:56 AM, TKJones said:

My thoughts exactly after having walked through, unfortunately. It's definitely a nice redevelopment, don't get me wrong, but the whole thing just seems way too non-functional to justify taking up nearly an entire city block. If they wanted it to feel like a small park like the article says, then why not just build one of those instead of planting some small trees and a few hundred square feet of sod in the middle of a big stone parking lot? Also, what's with the giant slabs just sitting there? Am I missing something on this one?

Finally found the answer to your question:

http://www.sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2017/03/foundation_square.php#.WNbFFxiZPVp

The slabs are part of a small amphitheater meant to host outdoor performances by students at the (nearly adjacent) music school. The corner across the intersection is going to display outdoor sculptures, which doesn't surprise me given USC's relatively new interest in outdoor art.

While I've of course known about the Sasaki Plan since its inception, it never occurred to me that extending Greene Street to the river would be a huge selling point for USC. Of course it's too far for the campus tour, but who wouldn't want to ride a bike or walk from Russell House to a riverfront park? Such a cool feature when it's eventually built.

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Anyone know when the Greene St bridge will be built across the RR tracks?

Very good question. If my memory serves me, it was tied in with the Richland County penny tax, and that program has come under a lot of fire..and may be part of a law suit. It seems like all the projects have been put on hold.

• 3 months later...

Hello, Cliff Apartments has been cleared out of students and they are planning demolition soon. Cliff will come down so they can make the new parking garage and then they can remove bates/old parking lot/ and Carolina gardens apartments. They renovated the old law school into a chem lab building. I have a class in the old coliseum but still no word on renovation. The new campus village is going to be great.

• 3 months later...

Any information out there about some of these projects?

1.  Riverfront Park between Gervais and Blossom.  

2.   USC Master plan to redevelop Whaley Street area of campus by bringing the creek to surface level and greenscaping.  there was a nice video rendering of that at one point.  I think that plan was due for an update to be presented a year or so ago, but never saw any reference to it afterwards.  This is just outside of Innovista, but I think linked up to Innovista thought Greek Village/Strom Thurmond center.  

3.   USC extension of Green Street and building in the Innovista footprint.  

5 hours ago, ColaFan said:

Any information out there about some of these projects?

1.  Riverfront Park between Gervais and Blossom.  

2.   USC Master plan to redevelop Whaley Street area of campus by bringing the creek to surface level and greenscaping.  there was a nice video rendering of that at one point.  I think that plan was due for an update to be presented a year or so ago, but never saw any reference to it afterwards.  This is just outside of Innovista, but I think linked up to Innovista thought Greek Village/Strom Thurmond center.  

3.   USC extension of Green Street and building in the Innovista footprint.  

News has been disappointingly non existent. All these items need addressing. If that park ever gets built, it will absolutely be a game changer.  

5 hours ago, Spartan said:

Is all of that from the Sasaki plan from a while back? 

I thought all of it was just "in the plan" and not necessarily a done deal. 

Yes, these were all part of the larger Sasaki plan. I had believed the plan to have been scrapped a couple of years ago, as all momentum towards fulfilling it came to a crashing halt. However, I did confer with someone at the City, and in the know on development issues, who said the plan is still a go. This preceded the plague, but he said there were some issues which still needed straightening out such as the brownfield type cleanup required for development of Riverfront Park. Also, certain items were attached to a penny tax plan, which ended up in litigation. Who knows if we'll ever see anything even closely resembling the Sasaki plan. 

Good to know. plans don't typically get "cancelled" or scrapped. They're always more of a guide... so if we're straying too far from the plan then it's probably time to revisit. That one was really more of USC's plan, though, right?  Anyway, I hope the riverfront park situation can gain some momentum. Talk about a game changer - that will be transformative beyond anyone's imagination, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 7:24 PM, Spartan said:

Good to know. plans don't typically get "cancelled" or scrapped. They're always more of a guide... so if we're straying too far from the plan then it's probably time to revisit. That one was really more of USC's plan, though, right?  Anyway, I hope the riverfront park situation can gain some momentum. Talk about a game changer - that will be transformative beyond anyone's imagination, I think.

Absolutely. That coal tar cleanup on the Congaree is time consuming though. 

On 7/18/2020 at 1:16 PM, Spartan said:

Had not heard about that. I assume some sort of brownfield / superfund cleanup situation?

Essentially. A manufactured gas plant from nearly a century ago or so produced a tar-like material which settled in the riverbed and along the banks of the Congaree. Here's the most recent article I was able to find: https://www.postandcourier.com/business/cleaning-up-100-year-old-toxic-goo-in-scs-congaree-will-require-partial-damming-of/article_a7edf6cc-aa3e-11e9-8bb1-f3a73a2a7398.html

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/28/2020 at 4:58 PM, victory said:

The bridge over the railroad tracks on Greene St started construction in February, and will be completed in 2022. Can't wait for this to happen. 

Drove by yesterday. This project appears to be nearing completion.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Dum spiro spero..while I breathe, I hope. Folks, this transformative plan, which has been in existence since 2007, is still active. The bridge over Greene Street should open any day. Greene is the main artery in this plan, and I forsee a lot more development on the way, for this part of our downtown.  https://planninganddevelopment.columbiasc.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/innovistamasterplan.pdf

• 11 months later...

https://www.holderproperties.com/gadsden-greene-project  I hope this hasn't already been posted somewhere. Scroll down for the 360 degree aerial tour of the exterior. This is currently under construction next to the new Greene St bridge. That whole area is about to go vertical soon, with the new four star hotel and apartments. Also, about four other parcels near Colonial Life Arena, owned by USC, will be developed by the same private equity developers/investors who are about to unveil plans for the Williams Brice Stadium redevelopment and stadium district (800 acres), containing retail, restaurants, housing, walking trails, golf, etc. Things are starting to get interesting.   

• Like 1