Innovista

Spartan

Some info here regarding Columbia's fuel cell district. VERY cool and innovative concept. :thumbsup:

They are really trying to put this in high gear!!! I like the ideal and I think Columbia will be one of the first cities to use alternate power. In the article it even states that the city buses will use hydrogen fuel cell. This is the perfect time to capitalize off of something like this. Columbia is going to be only city with a fuel cell district strecthing 2miles in it's downtown radius turning Columbia into a hub for hydrogen fuel cell. Innovista is going to be huge!!!! :shades:

Ahh, another Columbia/USC boondoggle. This is one of my favorites.

Hydrogen fuel cells creating an alternative to fossil fuels? Cost effectively, and WIDESPREAD? Please.

Exxon-Mobil, BP, and Shell will never allow it.

I'm not a scientist, so I have to qualify my response as a taxpayer.

Where do these scientists and researchers send their kids to school when they move to Columbia. Isn't the idea to get many of them to move downtown.

Isn't part of the mayor's "master plan" of remaking downtown into a work/live type of place going to address the issue of failing schools in the immediate area?

Of course not. Rich white folks who live in Shandon, Spring Valley, or Wildewood send their kids to Hammond or Heathwood.

Notice on Channel 2 the well-packaged promo for Canalside. What's missing in that ad?

Kids.

But, as long as developers/architects, the mayor's law partners, and the rest of city council "gets theirs", what's the harm?

Hydrogen fuel cells creating an alternative to fossil fuels? Cost effectively, and WIDESPREAD? Please.

Where do these scientists and researchers send their kids to school when they move to Columbia. Isn't the idea to get many of them to move downtown.

Isn't part of the mayor's "master plan" of remaking downtown into a work/live type of place going to address the issue of failing schools in the immediate area?

Of course not. Rich white folks who live in Shandon, Spring Valley, or Wildewood send their kids to Hammond or Heathwood.

Notice on Channel 2 the well-packaged promo for Canalside. What's missing in that ad?

Kids.

But, as long as developers/architects, the mayor's law partners, and the rest of city council "gets theirs", what's the harm?

Man, you have to work HARD to find something negative about Innovista and the potential of hydrogen fuel cells, and what they could do for Columbia. Are you a regular poster on thestate.com forums? :)

Well, he actually does have a point. One of the major reasons for the flight to the suburbs has to do with kids. The in-town public schools will have to be beefed up if you want to see more families moving in and around downtown. It's great to have young professionals and empty nesters, but don't forget about the family as well. But this really has nothing to do with Innovista.

Regarding the fuel cells as a widespread alternative source of energy, that we will not see anytime soon. For now, they are pretty specialized in nature, but Innovista will be at the cutting edge of this technology, which is a good thing. We're a ways away from seeing them power automobiles, but in the meantime, progress is being made as far as research and implementation goes.

Kids.

You have a point but what does white kids going to Hammond or Heathwood has anything to do with kids missing out of the Canalside promo?????

Edited by 803metlife

Kids.

The truth of the matter is that most people don't have young kids and every development does not have to be suitable for children. There are plenty of good in-town schools people can send their kids to. Remember, the type of people working on a campus like Innovista are not going to be the typical people that flee the city to move into their safe little suburban cookie-cutter, white bread, gated neighborhoods. It's negative attitudes that keep our state down; I can live without the negativity.

Man, you have to work HARD to find something negative about Innovista and the potential of hydrogen fuel cells, and what they could do for Columbia. Are you a regular poster on thestate.com forums? :)

Yes, I think so. The "Kool Aid" remark in the Homeless thread clearly gives it away.

Most of the residential projects downtown are geared towards young proffesionals and couples. Yes, there are projects that include family homes, but it seems that every single school in the city is already beefing up, renovating and expanding, just ride by Dreher.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he's talking about the Arnold School of Public Health building. I don't think it's ugly, but right now it lacks context. It will blend in once the other Innovista buildings in the vicinity go up.

my thoughts exactly, although i think they went too cheap on the roof materials.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that NC leaders had the foresight to build something like RTP in the 50's; now the state, especially the Triangle region, is reaping the benefits in a big-time way. While it will take Innovista some time to build out, I don't think it will take as long to see the benefits, since RTP was largely a trailblazer in the realm of research campuses. Innovista has several successful models to emulate (including RTP--the economic aspect of it anyway).

More modern buildings are definitely coming with the Horizon and Biomedical block buildings. I guess the stage had to be set in a traditional fashion.

The biggest disappointment with the Hilton is the number of rooms. I can live with the design. But I guess being that the footprint isn't a whole lot to work with, considering that the lot is being shared with the parking garage and height restrictions in the Vista, it's pretty much the best you can do.