Innovista

Spartan

I think once the Hilton opens and is succesful, the hotel project will proceed on the lot where the Heart of Columbia once stood. This would make 3 hotels within a block of the convention center.

Have you heard any specifics about the proposed hotel? I wonder if it will be on the same level as the Hilton or a step below a la Hilton Garden Inn, Marriott Courtyard, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Davis also has changed the construction of the building from structural steel to poured-in-place concrete, which will enable it be built quicker, he said."

Whoa! That is a major, major structural change. I wonder what the real story is behind that.

Is it cheaper to construct buildings that way?

I fear Assembly Street is going to become a problem when USC campus develops more and more to the west of it. It's an incredibly intimidating street to cross by foot - believe me, I know by experience, I have to cross it several times a day. The pedestrian light only goes on when you push the button, so you end up taking chances to cross when it's not green because the cycle is so long, but you can't see any cars hidden by the hill. Since it's a major thoroughfare, it would be hard to reduce the number of lanes. All I can think of is to replace the two parking lanes next to the median with some serious landscaping in that space, and make the pedestrian green light go on automatically so one doesn't have to take risks. I'd like to see the parking lanes on the outside of the street go too, to help the scale of things. Any other suggestions? I think it's a real problem. It would be like a village cut in half by a freeway. I'm talking mainly about the blocks around Arnold, Koger, and the Colisseum.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wall Street Journal freatured an article on the increasingly competitive admissions to in-state publics. Featured as "up and comers" 8 schools were listed:

Univ. of Delaware

Univ. of South Carolina

Univ. of Florida

Univ. Wisconsin

Univ. Georgia

U C SantaBarbara

Univ. of Oklahoma

SUNYStonybrook

It's good to see the publicity for Carolina.

http://uscnews.sc.edu/ADMN_Web067.html

Sorry, the WSJ link requires membership.