Innovista

Spartan

HUGE: The Congress for New Urbanism has named the Innovista Master Plan by Sasaki a 2007 Charter Award winner in the Neighborhood, District, Corridor Scale category!

Here are links to CNU's website for the Innovista write-up, and the rest of the winners.

This will be GREAT publicity for the project, the city and the university.

Edited by emerging.me

That is fantastic news. Columbia and USC being recognized by CNU will bring a lot of attention from developers.

Transect Zone(s): T5 center, T6 core.

Project or Plan's Scale: District

Features: Civic buildings & parks, Mixed uses, Transit oriented development, Waterfront.

Land area (in acres): 500

Total built area (in sq. ft.):

Total project cost (in local currency): 114

Retail area (in sq. ft.): 850

Office area (in sq. ft.): 2

Number of hotel units:

Number of residential units (include live/work): 2390

Civic uses (type and size): baseball stadium (5000 seats)

Parks & green space (in acres): 83

Project team designers: Sasaki Associates, Inc.

Project team developers: NA

Previous site status: Redevelopment

• 3 weeks later...

yea, they finished the first floor late last week and I thought that they hadn't really started putting the floors on for the second floor yet. But, apparently I'm wrong because it appears that half of it has been filled with concrete. At this rate, we should have a frame up by the time of the USC graduation!

It looks like the Discovery block building is further along than the one at the Horizon block. I'm still skeptical that Adesso will be completed this summer, maybe late, late summer, hope I'm wrong. The former Holiday Inn renovations are moving along quite nicely, although no major structural changes are being done (unfortunately) the building is looking better. New windows have a green tint with some red accents, more windows are being added to the side of the building facing Devine St, and a fresh coat of paint (caramel color) is on going. I'll try and get some pictures of the progress today.

Edited by BrasilnSC

The plans for the new riverfront park and baseball stadium are coming to fruition much faster than I would have imagined, and it's got the residents of Granby mill village concerned, as they should be.

I wonder if there were any concerns like the ones in the article (clear cutting of trees, etc.) aired when the Innovista/Guignard plan was announced. Surely people had to know that it involved what's now happening; maybe actually seeing it all happen really put a face to it.

The plans for the new riverfront park and baseball stadium are coming to fruition much faster than I would have imagined, and it's got the residents of Granby mill village concerned, as they should be.

I wonder if there were any concerns like the ones in the article (clear cutting of trees, etc.) aired when the Innovista/Guignard plan was announced. Surely people had to know that it involved what's now happening; maybe actually seeing it all happen really put a face to it.

I would imagine a park would need to have some trees cut down but hope residents are over reacting. I'll have to see it to make a true judgment.

Well, here are some pictures of the progress in Innovista.

Discovery Center

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Horizon Center

IMG_0547.jpg

Future Courtyard by Mariott (I guess they are trying their best, no?)

IMG_0540.jpg

Shane's Rib Shack moves in

IMG_0545.jpg

R.I.P. Towers

IMG_0546.jpg

Anne's Garden - courtyard behind the brand new Public Health Research building

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

^Thanks for shots of the progress. :thumbsup:

In terms of office/laboratory buildings, what's next for Innovista?

The comments coming from the meeting about riverfront development plans pretty much all seemed to say that it should remain as pristine as possible while being developed. I kinda get the feeling that some don't even like it being developed at all. However, I will say that I would like to see as much of the natural flora being preserved as possible; this will give the new park in particular less of an ornamental vibe and will make it feel more natural.

• 2 weeks later...

Santee Cooper and the Electric Cooperatives have pledged a combined $5 million to establish a Center of Excellence at USC. The center will research strategic environmental approaches to electricity production from coal which will be aimed at making the use of coal cleaner and more energy efficient. The partnership seeks to bring leading researchers together to develop technological initiatives reducing carbon emissions at coal-fired power plants.

Also, the National Hydrogen Association has awarded USC the Dr. Robert M. Zweig Public Education Award for outstanding initiatives in fuel-cell education and outreach. The award recognizes the university for its undergraduate and graduate hydrogen program; its partnerships with industry and cooperative agreements to advance the university's efforts in hydrogen and fuel-cell development in Europe, Asia and North America; its creation of a citizens' school for fuel-cell technology; its hydrogen and fuel-cell technology exhibit for a regional children's museum; and the university's development of hydrogen and fuel-cell educational materials for students in grades K-12.

Oh gosh yes...especially those high voltage lines right around the Hilton! :(

I wish they had buried those. Some rooms at the Hilton will look have an uncomfortably close view of these high voltage lines. They also run right in front of the State House on Pendleton St. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...