Innovista

Spartan

I reread a lot of different threads yesterday, and I can't remember in which thread or who mentioned this, but a while ago, somebody mentioned the book The Death and Life of Great American Cities. Coincidentally, I'm half way through this book right now, and it's making me think about the Innovista. I was wondering what other people who have read the book think about the Innovista. A couple things concern me, for example, having an entire neighborhood of a city built at one time (basically, I know it's going to spread out over many years) and being the same age, and also having these grassy "park" areas in the center of most of the blocks. I'm no expert on any of this; I'm just comparing some of the book with the Innovista. Thanks.

^I understand your concern, and I think it's valid. However, I feel that as long as the architecture is quality and will stand the test of time, it will benefit the city in the long run. I would MUCH rather have this built downtown instead of out in the 'burbs. Also, the rest of downtown will also grow up and fill in over time as well, so Innovista's scale won't be as overwhelming compared to the rest of downtown as it now appears.

I understand the concern, but seeing as how there are existing buildings already located in the Innovista area, the district won't consist entirely of construction from one era. I certainly hope to see the Palmetto Compress Warehouse find an exciting new purpose in life. Someone had spoken of turning it into lofts sometime back, which would be excellent.

I had an idea the other day that doesn't involve the Innovista, per se, but it does involve that area, so I'll post it here. Maybe other people have mentioned this before, but I think it'd be a great idea to bury the train tracks running through downtown that are partly parallel to Huge and cross Gervais in the Vista. A great section of these tracks is already in a "tunnel," albeit an exposed tunnel. All we'd have to do is put a top on the tunnel. Then, we'd have a linear park running roughly from Blossom all the way to Huge near Elmwood. I've looked at the masterplan slides for the Innovista, and I don't think it'd interfere with anything. I think it would be a great place for little cafes and that type of stuff, benches, trees, etc. It could even be tied into the Greenway. On a side note, I think the southern end at Blossom would be a great place for a new train station, if long-distance passenger trains ever became popular again. Imagine the view of walking south along this new park and having this big train station at the end. It'd be kind of like driving down Main St with the Capitol in the distance.

post-16912-1182877377_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those look good, nice find.

However, I'm not sure if the Horizon block will look that way. Other renderings of the Horizon Block don't show a beige facade, like the one going up on the Biomedical block. It shows more of a white facade, like the parking garage on that block.

Wonder how it will turn out. :dontknow:

I am all for protecting the environment and leaving trees intact whenever possible, but this is downtown development, not clear cutting a forest for a shopping center. The land will becaome usable as a park and not simply as a backdrop. It would be a real pity if the park didn't become a reality.

I believe the park will happen. And I seriously doubt that the plans were to remove each and every tree anyway. The amphitheatre and terraces will be huge assets to the park. These folks need to understand that the riverfront isn't their own little exclusive possession--it belongs to the entire city, and the entire city should have access to it for their enjoyment. I think it's rather telling that these folks have no problem with development for the north side of the park near Gervais. Why? Because it's not in their backyard. Furthermore, there will be plenty of other stretches of the riverfront that will remain undeveloped.

Guild needs to stop acting as though he's so concerned about the actual environment and admit that he's being selfish about this whole thing.

A large number of the existing trees will be preserved. I'm sure the underbrush will be cleared so the area will be accessible, but it will be nice to be able to actually get to use this area along the Congaree. I really don't see how anyone can complain about this plan.

That map really helps. I am not in favor of removing wetlannds for any reason, but this seems to work with what is there and just alter the area around the wetland. It actually looks like the net result will be more trees to me. Planners are going to have to work with that neighborhood association though. You can't force something this large on everyone. The park will definitely happen, but it might not be in the exact original form.... thing like this rarely turn out the way you originally plan.

- - - - - -

On a separate note, I drove through Columbia this weekend, and I saw the Adesso building and the Horizon block for the first time.... and the missing Towers! USC is not the place I remember at all. Its really incredible to see these things in person. The have a real presence on South Main.