Innovista

Spartan

It is my understanding that the president of that neighborhood association is a Clemson fan and he tries to be a thorn in USC's side any chance he gets. This is hearsay and I can't verify it, but it does make sense.

Ha! I don't think that's right. Bob Guild is however an environmental lawyer, and the state Sierra Club chair, just to give you an idea of the level of passion he must have for his view of preservation. He's also an adjunct professor at the USC law school. I'd wager that Guild and the Granby residents want the park, too... I think this is just political positioning to try and push them to get it done in as much of an environmentally friendly way as possible. USC will work it out. The park will happen, and it will be a great public space. I think there are ways to make it an urban park AND maintain some of the woodland areas.

Edited by emerging.me

Thanks for setting the record straight, EM. I want the park to be developed in an environmentally-friendly way, too, but I definitely want it to be built...the sooner the better. I get tired of how long it takes things to get done here.

Edited by waccamatt

I don't think the city should grant USC's blanket rezoning request. USC has a long history of acting in their own best interest over the best interests of the city, IMO. Best to take the rezoning as it comes up, not as one fell swoop.

I really like that park, but I'm curious to see how the wetlands issues play out. That area is flooded quite a lot.

I like the park, :good: but I am a little weary about doing such a mass rezoning in USC favor. :stop: Nothing completely personal, I just think that It seemingly makes USC at COlumbia more like Columbia at USC!

It does seem slightly selfish on the part of those in the Granby area not being in favor of the creation of such a proposed jewel; however, we can all probably related to the "not in my back yard" metality. :angry: But what they must realize as residences of the City, like any other Down Town Residence is that the area around them is more of a public domain, and rightly should be. After finally visiting Greenville's Falls Park, I think something like this is greatly needed and would be a true treasure in the City of Columbia. :alc: Right now, our major urban park is a bit over run by the homeless, and I think a refocusing should take place on not only creating new spaces but preserving the integrity of those already present.

My only problem!!!!!! Me being from Columbia I don't like how over the years USC will have something and will not allow public access or give the chance so something or somebody else to use their facilites. For example Their previous baseball stadium . They we're too selfish to allow Columbia to keep our Minor League baseball team. Also Hockey....the inferno had to build their own facility. It should be some kind of agreement between USC and the City of Columbia for sports and other recreational usage of these places. Instead of it's ours get your own!!!!! USC has cost the City of Columbia to lose out on grand opportunities. Also USC wouldn't allow the panthers to practice or play it's 1st season in their stadium. The list is endless. If this scenario is going to be played out at the end. Columbia should re-think even trying to partner with USC to take us to the next level.

^To be fair, the Bombers wanted to leave all along but just used USC as a cop-out. And while the Inferno are building their own facility (which I think is kind of a good thing), and the arena football team is playing at the Colonial Center.

Columbia "rethinking" partnering with USC isn't even a question. Do you think Austin or Raleigh would have gotten to the "next level" without the assistance of its universities? It's necessary, but there will need to be a change in the nature of the relationship between the city and the university, which is already happening. All great cities know the value of institutional partnerships, and they are a necessary ingredient in making great cities. No city has done it all by themselves, and God knows Columbia couldn't with the current leadership.

I don't think the city should grant USC's blanket rezoning request. USC has a long history of acting in their own best interest over the best interests of the city, IMO. Best to take the rezoning as it comes up, not as one fell swoop.

As long as all (or the great majority) of the property users agree with it, I say go for it. It won't affect present uses on the land that already has businesses on it. I think private investment would follow much more quickly this way.

Or maybe they could just do the rezoning in chunks, and not parcel-by-parcel, which would definitely take longer.

The good thing about this whole thing is that the Guignards are on board, so USC isn't soley driving this whole thing. There are private interests involved too, and the entire concept here is a public-private venture.

Innovista is already behind schedule (not by a whole lot, but still), so as long as there are no major conflicts (and all conflicts should be resolved here), I think it should be done.

My only problem!!!!!! Me being from Columbia I don't like how over the years USC will have something and will not allow public access or give the chance so something or somebody else to use their facilites. For example Their previous baseball stadium . They we're too selfish to allow Columbia to keep our Minor League baseball team. Also Hockey....the inferno had to build their own facility. It should be some kind of agreement between USC and the City of Columbia for sports and other recreational usage of these places. Instead of it's ours get your own!!!!! USC has cost the City of Columbia to lose out on grand opportunities. Also USC wouldn't allow the panthers to practice or play it's 1st season in their stadium. The list is endless. If this scenario is going to be played out at the end. Columbia should re-think even trying to partner with USC to take us to the next level.

Well, that makes it sound like Columbia never benefits from having USC here...which could NOT be farther from the truth. If USC were not in Colulmbia, we'd be Augusta, GA. USC being here has brought MILLIONS into the city, and allowed Columbia to grow into the largest city in the state. Without USC, I think Columbia would just be a small state capital without much besides government. Ideally we really need these two to work together for the good of the midlands, but I've always said that Columbia needs USC much more than USC needs Columbia. And as for minor league baseball and the Panthers...when did it become a school's job to subsidize minor league sports? I for one would have been REALLY ticked if Columbia and the Bombers tried to force Carolina to support them by building a stadium for the Bombers. And Krazee is completely right...the Bombers were leaving all along. They said they couldn't afford to build their own stadium, but what did they do in Greenville? Build their own stadium. And while it would have been good to have the Panters in Columbia for their first season, people seem to forget USC DID have an offer on the table for them, but the PANTHERS are the one that chose the offer from Clemson. So it's a total misconception that USC "would not allow" them to play here. If came down to money, and apparently Clemson came up with a better offer.

Those examples reflect USC Athletics stance, not the greater university.

As long as all (or the great majority) of the property users agree with it, I say go for it. It won't affect present uses on the land that already has businesses on it. I think private investment would follow much more quickly this way.

Or maybe they could just do the rezoning in chunks, and not parcel-by-parcel, which would definitely take longer.

The good thing about this whole thing is that the Guignards are on board, so USC isn't soley driving this whole thing. There are private interests involved too, and the entire concept here is a public-private venture.

Innovista is already behind schedule (not by a whole lot, but still), so as long as there are no major conflicts (and all conflicts should be resolved here), I think it should be done.

Krazee, I'm with you on this. I believe USC has demonstrated great foresight and capability in handling the Innovista development. I agree that we should trust the University to continue doing the right thing--and at their quicker pace!

Well, that makes it sound like Columbia never benefits from having USC here...which could NOT be farther from the truth. If USC were not in Colulmbia, we'd be Augusta, GA.

Hey, Bry, Augusta is a great city! There's much that they even have over us . . .

USC being here has brought MILLIONS into the city, and allowed Columbia to grow into the largest city in the state. Without USC, I think Columbia would just be a small state capital without much besides government. Ideally we really need these two to work together for the good of the midlands, but I've always said that Columbia needs USC much more than USC needs Columbia. And as for minor league baseball and the Panthers...when did it become a school's job to subsidize minor league sports? I for one would have been REALLY ticked if Columbia and the Bombers tried to force Carolina to support them by building a stadium for the Bombers. And Krazee is completely right...the Bombers were leaving all along. They said they couldn't afford to build their own stadium, but what did they do in Greenville? Build their own stadium. And while it would have been good to have the Panters in Columbia for their first season, people seem to forget USC DID have an offer on the table for them, but the PANTHERS are the one that chose the offer from Clemson. So it's a total misconception that USC "would not allow" them to play here. If came down to money, and apparently Clemson came up with a better offer.

I do agree with your assessment of USC's critical importance to Columbia, Bry. It is a dream collaboration to have a dynamic university within the urban confines of a city, and we should be thankful every day for that! (I know I am, and I'm not even an alum.) Go, USC! :good:

Hey, Bry, Augusta is a great city! There's much that they even have over us . . .

True. Without USC, I think Columbia would more resemble Jackson, MS.

Universities in general are wonderful assets to cities. USC is going to be an even greater asset once Innovista starts landing more private investment.

Carolina definitely adds a lot of life to Columbia. But to bring this back on topic, I think that any environmental concerns can easily be worked with to make sure that the right thing is done. Its not hard to have an urban park that respects nature, and thats as it should be. At this point in the game is sounds like the mass rezoning will be a good way to get things moving with the Innovista plan. It will be interesting to see what happens with it.

"Hey, Bry, Augusta is a great city! There's much that they even have over us . . ."

Well, we all have our favorite and least favorite cities...and Augusta just happens to be at the bottom of my list. Of course it's just my opinion. They don't call it Disgusta for nothing. But I don't mean to turn this thread into a "bashing Augusta" threat. I was just making the point that USC has helped make Columbia the great city it's become.

"Hey, Bry, Augusta is a great city! There's much that they even have over us . . ."

Well, we all have our favorite and least favorite cities...and Augusta just happens to be at the bottom of my list. Of course it's just my opinion. They don't call it Disgusta for nothing. But I don't mean to turn this thread into a "bashing Augusta" threat. I was just making the point that USC has helped make Columbia the great city it's become.

Sorry Augusta does so poorly in your assessment, but it does not deserve the "Disgusta" moniker. That is a nickname from the past referring to the Fort Gordon area, and other depressed areas (which we all have) on the southeast side of the city. Traditionally, military towns like North Charleston, Fayetteville, N.C., Jacksonville, N.C., etc., attract pawn shops, check cashing joints, roughneck bars, prostitution, strip clubs, adult book stores, peep shows, and other such establishments. Don't forget, we have our own Fort Jackson, and the area along Decker, Two Notch, etc. used to be (and still is) pretty run-down. Augusta still has its fair share, but I've seen it turn around its downtown and elsewhere considerably in the last few years.

I love Broad Street, Augusta's main street, for its bohemian vibe, live music scene, great restaurants, mixed crowd, and more. But the best part of Augusta to me is "The Hill" (the area around Augusta National), officially called Summerville. It is one of the nicest, most liveable neighborhoods (and it goes on and on) that I have seen in the South, and that's from someone who's been around the block a few times! :P

I know, I'm getting off topic, but I had to defend one of my favorite places to visit and hang out in. Just give it another look, Bry, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Let me know before you go, and I can recommend several good restaurants, watering holes, and things to do (it's a better town than ours for biking, for example). :)

Sorry Augusta does so poorly in your assessment, but it does not deserve the "Disgusta" moniker. That is a nickname from the past referring to the Fort Gordon area, and other depressed areas (which we all have) on the southeast side of the city. Traditionally, military towns like North Charleston, Fayetteville, N.C., Jacksonville, N.C., etc., attract pawn shops, check cashing joints, roughneck bars, prostitution, strip clubs, adult book stores, peep shows, and other such establishments. Don't forget, we have our own Fort Jackson, and the area along Decker, Two Notch, etc. used to be (and still is) pretty run-down. Augusta still has its fair share, but I've seen it turn around its downtown and elsewhere considerably in the last few years.

I love Broad Street, Augusta's main street, for its bohemian vibe, live music scene, great restaurants, mixed crowd, and more. But the best part of Augusta to me is "The Hill" (the area around Augusta National), officially called Summerville. It is one of the nicest, most liveable neighborhoods (and it goes on and on) that I have seen in the South, and that's from someone who's been around the block a few times! :P

I know, I'm getting off topic, but I had to defend one of my favorite places to visit and hang out in. Just give it another look, Bry, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Let me know before you go, and I can recommend several good restaurants, watering holes, and things to do (it's a better town than ours for biking, for example). :)

I'm a fair guy...maybe I should give Augusta another chance. I have a friend that used to live in downtown Augusta, and that's where my distaste for that city came from. But that was a few years back...and as we all know, things certainly change. If the Vista in the 70's and 80's was all someone knew of Columbia, I imagine their opinion would not be very favorable...but if they visited the Vista today, they'd see a new Columbia. My friend now lives in Aiken...so I'm going to suggest that we make another visit to Augusta and see what's happening there. :)

I'm a fair guy...maybe I should give Augusta another chance. I have a friend that used to live in downtown Augusta, and that's where my distaste for that city came from. But that was a few years back...and as we all know, things certainly change. If the Vista in the 70's and 80's was all someone knew of Columbia, I imagine their opinion would not be very favorable...but if they visited the Vista today, they'd see a new Columbia. My friend now lives in Aiken...so I'm going to suggest that we make another visit to Augusta and see what's happening there. :)

Cool! If I may suggest a few favorites in downtown Augusta:

For tapas and wine, try Bee's Knees

For inexpensive Cuban/eclectic bistro, try Blue Sky Kitchen

For fresh Tex-Mex, try Nacho Mama's

For pizza and great people-watching, there's The Pizza Joint or Mellow Mushroom

For Southern home-cooking in an elegant setting, try The Partridge Inn Sunday brunch buffet (actually up the Hill on Walton Way), or go after 4 o'clock on Saturday for mint juleps (or mojitos) on the veranda

For soup, salad, and sandwiches (and desserts), try Boll Weevil Cafe

For live music and beer try The Soul Bar (go early before it gets packed)

For a fabulous funky cocktail lounge, try Modjeska's (go early unless you wanna dance)

Or, if you just want something more active to do (or before enjoying the above food and libations), bike the Augusta Canal to the Savannah Rapids Pavilion and back. It starts downtown at the huge old Enterprise Mill.