Innovista

Spartan

The article in The State said:

The USC/Sasaki zoning proposal affects 141 acres between the river and the Colonial Center. Most of the 500-acre Innovista between the Colonial Center and Assembly Street already has zoning compatible with the master plan. Most of the affected land east of the Vista's railroad track is owned by the city or the university. Most of the affected private property owners are west of the tracks, close to Huger Street.

But hey, if the rezoning covers Assembly with the hopes of it getting a makeover, then that's even better!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the newly renovated Courtyard by Marriot hotel on Assembly at Blossom today and saw that workers are finally put up that pirapet (sp?) on top of the roof. They only had a small portion up when i saw it, but it looks pretty neat - metal structures much like what comes out from underneath the entrance. Someone should get some pics of that.

The day came sooner than expected. Didn't they just move to town like 6-8 months ago? Thats good news for Innovista I guess. That makes the second company to commit to moving in and the second that is not directly related to hydrogen.

At least the tie in is more obvious with this group.

Collexis isn't wasting any time making waves in Columbia, that's for sure--and that's the type of companies the city needs right now.

Although this is definitely good news for Innovista, Collexis--like Duck Creek Technologies--already has ties to Columbia. Hopefully the next tenant will be brand new to Columbia.

Although we must remember that economic experts are saying the most successful cities will be those that grow their own high-tech, knowledge-based companies and attract locals and newcomers alike to work in those companies.

Edited by CorgiMatt

Does anyone know what's planned in the lots on Park behind the new health science building and the future alumni center?

I was just walking up Park from the Koger center to Gervais street the other day and thinking what an ideal street to become a pedestrian link between Innovista and the Vista. That's such a barren street right now with just empty lots on the north side, absolutely no greenery to shelter from the elements, and definitely not very pedestrian friendly. Imagine that street lined with storefronts, restaurants, caf

The Koger Center is certainly in a bad spot when it comes to generating pedestrian activity. Park Street from Senate to Blossom is really "institutional," with the SCDOT building and USC buildings lining that stretch. The future of that area depends on what's coming to the empty lots and surface lots. It would be nice if something really urban came to the old HOT motel site, but I'm not sure if anything (storefronts, entrances, etc.) would be placed along the Park Street side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They are putting steel accent pieces on the biomedical research parking lot at College and Park streets. I rather like the look. The architects were not afraid to make the statement that it is a parking garage, and that parking garages deserve their own recognition as structures worthy of architectural adornment. Hats off to functional structures with industrial architectural statements. The same goes for the city parking garage next to the Hilton. They have opened my mind to a look that says parking garages don't have to look like office or apartment buildings to be aesthetically pleasing and of architectural merit.

Innovista has landed its third tenant and its first foreign tenant. The Loccioni Group, an Italian engineering firm, plans to lease 1,000 square feet at the Horizon II building on the Horizon Block along Blossom after the building is ready for occupancy, which is now expected to be late 2008. The company will employ four or five people when it opens a temporary consulting office late this year at the USC-City of Columbia Technology Incubator.