Innovista

Spartan

Actually I love the column effect and the green coloring. Once again, as I've said on here so many times before, to me classical simplicity is hard to beat. The color of the roof recalls the Capitol Center (formerly the AT&T building). For a southern university research building I think it is quite attractive.

Most university research buildings will put functionality first and architecture second, which I believe they should do. However, the architecture isn't totally neglected. It turned out better than I thought it would. Also, the parking garage redeems itself by having classroom space at the street level on the Park Street side.

• 3 weeks later...

A general question for the board. Does anyone know (or wish to speculate) whether the power lines will eventually be buried in front of the Horizon buildings, Adesso, and the intersection of Blossom and S. Main Streets?

I know it is an expensive procedure, but I can not fathom that USC would expect top researchers/Fortune 500 companies to locate in buildings whose appearance is so greatly diminished by power lines running so closely to each building.

A general question for the board. Does anyone know (or wish to speculate) whether the power lines will eventually be buried in front of the Horizon buildings, Adesso, and the intersection of Blossom and S. Main Streets?

I know it is an expensive procedure, but I can not fathom that USC would expect top researchers/Fortune 500 companies to locate in buildings whose appearance is so greatly diminished by power lines running so closely to each building.

I'm sure they will be eventually, but the city has already kicked in a lot of money for the parking garage and they currently have both Main Street streetscaping projects going on and the one on Gervais Street. We are going to have to be patient as far as seeing power lines being buried.

Even if it ultimately costs you tenants in your condo complex and/or research building?

I know if I was thinking about buying a condo in Adesso I would take one look at the power lines and look elsewhere.

Same if I was IBM, and was thinking about relocating employees to the new Horizon block.

I understand being cost sensitive when planning a project, but at what cost?

Depending on the size of the wires the line is holding you could be looking at a six figure number to relocate or bury those things, so if one person doesn't want to buy because of them, its not a big loss since someone else will eventually come along. Its never as easy as dropping it below ground since there are already utilities under there, and you have to make sure that it won't impact your development, you have to coordinate with Duke Power (which is an ordeal in and of itself). There is a point where the aesthetics become less important to completing the project in the Columbia market. If this were DC or some place where this type of housing is a dime a dozen, then the impact of those lines increases dramatically.

Sorry, I didn't see this powerline discussion, I just posted a similar rant on the Canalside thread. Oh, it's so short sighted, and will cost more in the long run to not do it when it's the most convenient time, when the pavement is already dug up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...