Innovista

Spartan

Definitely a first-of-its-kind partnership. While it might smell slightly of desperation, I think it's a best-case scenario in this economy. Good for them for landing it... it shows real innovation that the parties involved could think outside the box enough to make it happen.

I do hope, however, that a truly major player comes on board in the future.

Definitely a first-of-its-kind partnership. While it might smell slightly of desperation, I think it's a best-case scenario in this economy. Good for them for landing it... it shows real innovation that the parties involved could think outside the box enough to make it happen.

I do hope, however, that a truly major player comes on board in the future.

I'm pretty involved in this deal and I don't think it is desperation at all. BCBS, IBM and almost everyone else in the IT industry have a serious business problem that we are attempting to fix with this consortium.

If we can be successful here, and I believe it will take 5-7 years to really make an impact, this area can be a magnet for IT talent. It could be a really nice economic bump for the midlands and SC.

My opinion all along has been that Innovista should be a place where new companies form and grow around technologies that are developed at USC, or other in state institutions. I just don't think it is realistic to expect big, established companies to set up shop there.

I'm pretty involved in this deal and I don't think it is desperation at all. BCBS, IBM and almost everyone else in the IT industry have a serious business problem that we are attempting to fix with this consortium.

If we can be successful here, and I believe it will take 5-7 years to really make an impact, this area can be a magnet for IT talent. It could be a really nice economic bump for the midlands and SC.

My opinion all along has been that Innovista should be a place where new companies form and grow around technologies that are developed at USC, or other in state institutions. I just don't think it is realistic to expect big, established companies to set up shop there.

I agree with you. I suppose what I mean is that all of this, while it is bold and innovative, is sort of a deviation from the original vision -- at least as far as I recall when it was first put out there. But you are absolutely right in thinking this is a more appropriate way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TM Floyd & Co. and VC3 will partner with IBM and BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina in the Consortium for Enterprise Systems Management project at Innovista. The two Columbia-based companies will move most of their operations and about 120 employees into Innovista's Horizon II building, planned for Blossom and Assembly streets. Kale Roscoe, the university's Michigan-based private development partner, has said construction of Horizon II could begin by the end of the month.

Good news! Sounds like we're getting some movement with Innovista. Even in times like these, Columbia is doing a decent job attracting companies to its core.

• 1 month later...

It is now March and there is still nothing going on at the Horizon II site. What's the hold up? :dontknow: Several tenants have announced their commitment to the site, which still sits empty.

still do not have a lease signed with one of the announced tenants - they can't start building until it's done

• 3 weeks later...

The National Hydrogen Conference comes to Columbia on Monday, March 30th. Check out their website:

Hydrogen Conference

It gives SC, especially Columbia, some great publicity. The, "Why Columbia, SC?" section gives the city a lot of praise :w00t: .

Light posts signs are up around Innovista designating the area "Fuel Cell District".

The National Hydrogen Conference comes to Columbia on Monday, March 30th. Check out their website:

Hydrogen Conference

It gives SC, especially Columbia, some great publicity. The, "Why Columbia, SC?" section gives the city a lot of praise :w00t: .

Light posts signs are up around Innovista designating the area "Fuel Cell District".

Thanks for the link. Pretty cool stuff, but man there are a lot of typos in there.

Hydrogen Conference

dude i took some pictures of the hydrogen fuel station near the canalside area its awsome cant wait to see it in action when the first people starts using them.

An item from the most recent agenda of the Planning Commission (April 6th):

This amendment is the application of the proposed new MX-2 zoning district and ID overlay

district to the Innovista area to implement the land use components of the Innovista Master

Plan. This area historically was populated with warehouse and manufacturing uses, which is

reflected in the largely industrial zoning classifications found here. This zoning makes it

difficult to develop a mixed-use or general commercial project which often results in the use

of PUD zoning, The City attempted to address some of these issues in the 1990s with the

application of the -PD overlay which restricted industrial uses and permitted restaurants and

residential by special exception. Much of the PD was replaced by the -DD, which allowed

residential as of right and launched urban design review. These initiatives were helpful, but

it remains that retail, university, and many service uses are not permitted and the land

development regulations promulgated by the M-1 and M-2 prescribe a development pattern

that is out of character with the urban, pedestrian-oriented development desired for this

district.

This rezoning will provide the land use tools necessary to achieve the goals of the Innovista

Master Plan. It will grant additional area for development through the reduction of setbacks

and required parking as well as increased height allowance. Uses are expanded to include

retail and research, while maintaining manufacturing on a limited scale. The ID applies

design guidelines similar to those previously employed by the DD area, but they have been

streamlined and adjusted to better respond to the more sparsely developed nature of this area

and the recommendations of the Plan. In addition, the ID provides a height transition next to

the residential neighborhoods on the south and the historic district to the north. Existing

PUD districts and the West Gervais Street Historic Commercial District remain unchanged.

Good to see the city is moving forward with this.