Innovista

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

There has been talk of this happening for quite some time. I can not wait to see the renderings of the new school. I hope the two buildings (graduate and undergrad) are not too modern and incorporate elements of the Horseshoe in their design, much like the National Advocacy Center across campus.

Edited by dobboard

I'm not really sure where this should go, but I'm putting it in the Economic Developments thread because I think the 250 DOJ jobs outweighs the fact that its going to be on the USC campus.

This is a huge development though. I sort of hate to see the BA building NOT in use by students, but this is really great for USC, Columbia, and South Carolina.

I was wondering why the Business School facility would go in Innovista, but this part of the article made sense:

John Parks, who heads Innovista development for USC, said it has become clear that the engineering and scientific research in Innovista needs to be linked with the new emphasis in the Moore School on entrepreneurship. Pastides made clear that companies considering locations in Innovista want that proximity to the business school

It will most likely be similar in scale to the School of Health building on Assembly St. The renderings from the Guignard Plan and the Innovista Plan show ALL buildings at that scale/massing. Hopefully it will be a complimentary, yet different design.

Although I like where the Business school is now, it was very easy to get to when I attended, I like the idea of a new facility and in the heart of Innovista. With the Horizon II construction starting soon and the new business school next year the plans for the Foundation Square will become a reality. I think the decision to move the business school along with the changing of the economy is what will be needed for the plan to take shape a little faster than it has so far. I hope to see a long list of companies ready to move to SC from around the country and the world. We need more high paying jobs to move Columbia to the next level.

So how tall can this building be? What is the height limit in the vista, and does it tier down or is it the same throughout.

Great news for USC and Columbia.

The height limit in the Vista is 80 feet, although there was a slight variance for the Hilton. I agree with Spartan - this building will probably be 4 or 5 stories - along the lines of the Arnold School of Public Health. I'm sure it will be a much bigger building, however, in terms of square feet. They will probably need 400,000 to 500,000 square feet for the School of Business.

On another note; while it seems odd to me that the DMSOB (sounds bad, I know, but too long to spell out) will be located on the "research campus", I think it will work well, especially with USC"s prestige in international business. I'm sure thee can be some significant partnerships between international companies locating in Innovista and the MIBS program. This is great news all around. I don't know why it will take 3 years to build, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Roscoe hired a builder, Michigan- and Charlotte-based Kirco construction, moved some dirt around and placed a construction trailer on the property.

That made me laugh. I drive by there every day, and that pretty much sums up what has happened.

Reading between the lines (Pastides's quote) in today's paper, it's got to be Holder. He's "closer to the University" family, what with Adesso and Aspyre. He's waiting in the wings. Pastides says we'll know something in weeks, not months.

On the other hand the paper says Roscoe has a history of bringing law suits, so he could bring one and tie it up for years.

Edited by CorgiMatt