Innovista

Spartan

Sparty -- did you see the new renderings in the USC Times little while back?? The sketch was of a couple of buildings along the blocks in front of the Colonial Center -- where there are surface lots now. I looked *really* cool. Think Vista Lofts-ish buildings, but with the architectural flavor of Strom and the other drawings we've seen (like of the Hardee's block).

Edited by emerging.me

I was complaining about that parking lot earlier in another thread. It's good to see something good happening with it. By the way, here's a link to that graphic (lower right hand corner). That will be the biomedical block consisting of a USC building, a private building, and a parking deck.

I was complaining about that parking lot earlier in another thread. It's good to see something good happening with it. By the way, here's a link to that graphic (lower right hand corner). That will be the biomedical block consisting of a USC building, a private building, and a parking deck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice! The rendering that was in the USC Times was a street-level scene of, I assume, the same area.

I know that currently, the focus for the research campus includes the three blocks represented by the rendering (the link I posted). However, what are the long term growth plans for the campus? Is room for expansion one of them? Have other research campuses been studied (e.g., Research Triangle Park in NC) in this regard?

The plan seems to be centered around (not bounded by) the area of S Main, Blossom, Lincoln and Pendleton. They have said they plan to tear down the Towers and the future of the Coliseum is in question (i think- though it could have been something we were throwing around here). I'll try to do a graphic on this later.

Hmmmm...I'm thinking that the Coliseum should stay, but I'm not sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? Other than Inferno Hockey games and high school graduations, and the School of Jouralism, it rarely gets used. I think I heard that the SOJ is going to get its own building soon. I think that Devine St should be restored and some nice new research campus buildings should go in its place lining Assembly and Devine.

Why? Other than Inferno Hockey games and high school graduations, and the School of Jouralism, it rarely gets used. I think I heard that the SOJ is going to get its own building soon. I think that Devine St should be restored and some nice new research campus buildings should go in its place lining Assembly and Devine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that the Coliseum should go. Its a practical building, not an object of beauty, and its oulived its useful life and is taking up a huge chunk of prime real estate for, as you point out, very low rates of use. I'd much rather see that location filled with mid-rise residential buildings with retail fronting Assembly and Blossom Streets.

I understand the points about the Coliseum, but it has a sentimental place in my heart because of the hundreds of USC basketball games I saw there. Also, the Inferno plays a number of games there - not just a few. I vote against razing the Coliseum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This gives me an idea- vote in the poll on this subject:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...T&f=193&t=12620

• 4 weeks later...

Any program that brings even 1 job to the region is appreciated.Especially by the person who recieves the job. But regardless of weather or not it brings alot of jobs or not if they can contribute to making hydrogen cells a reality then that not only helps the midlands,but it also helps the state,the country, and the world. The sooner we stop relying totally on all of the polluting fossil fuels the better off everyone will be.All of this begins with research.

Any program that brings even 1 job to the region is appreciated.Especially by the person who recieves the job. But regardless of weather or not it brings alot of jobs or not if they can contribute to making hydrogen cells a reality then that not only helps the midlands,but it also helps the state,the country, and the world. The sooner we stop relying totally on all of the polluting fossil fuels the better off everyone will be.All of this begins with research.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wholeheartedly agree!

Mayor Bob is proposing that the city spend $1mm per year on marketing for the Research campus. I think this is a slippery slop for the city to get on. The city should stick to infrastructure, parking, etc. for the campus itself. If government funds are to be spent on marketing, they should come from the State. The entire state will benefit from the jobs the campus will attract and the state will boost it's income and other tax revenues. Since the campus is university owned, it will derive no DIRECT revenues through property taxes.

Things like infrastructure and parking would benefit Columbia citizens beyond just the campus itself.

Coble proposes $1mm for hydrogen marketing

Edited by vicupstate

Hey you guys...check out this NC State Centennial Campus thread for some pictures and discussion. The same company who designed that campus will also be developing USC's Research Campus. From the renderings I've seen of USC's campus, they will look somewhat similar. I think the biggest difference between USC's campus and NC State's campus is location. USC's will be located downtown, whereas NC State's isn't.

• 1 month later...

So its not the USC Research Campus? Its just "Innovista" ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not entirely clear on that. They've been using the term "innovation district" instead of "research campus" in the official literature, and now this seems to be replacing that. So... I guess yeah, it's called Innovista. Catchy?? Maybe? lol